Sign in to follow this  
Commander_K

Beta 5k - cleared for departure although traffic on final

Hi,

I am on beta 5k, today I got cleared for departure although there was traffic on final for this runway. It looks like it could not see the traffic.

I use FSLTL

Edited by Commander_K

If traffic is on long final, it will clear you for takeoff, assuming you will be able to get airborne in time.

If you can see the traffic on the map in P2A, then P2A can see it for giving takeoff clearance, but if not, then you are right, it couldn't see it.

Dave

Same for me with MSFS default live traffic. It will clear me with planes on short final, other planes on the runway, etc. It seems like it's oblivious to AI traffic altogether. It's been a couple of months now since it's been aware of AI traffic. I used to be told to hold short for incoming traffic or a plane about to take off. Would get the line up and wait command when planes were already rolling for takeoff. But not any more. 

That last time I had P2A be aware of any AI traffic was back  back in February sometime. 

You need to have the Ground and Airborne Traffic display turned on so you can see the AI Traffic on the map.

The latest beta 2.6.4.2 Beta 5X6 does have a tweak that might make a difference in some situations.

Dave

Yes, ground and air AI traffic is turned on in the traffic map. The map was seeing the traffic. ATC was oblivious to it, clearing for takeoff as another plane was on short final at like 500 altitude.

Last I flew was 2 days ago on whatever the current version of P2A beta was at the time (Beta 5X6 I believe). But the ATC has been ignoring AI traffic since sometime in February. 

The same issue is reported by others as well in this thread, as well as another that's linked in that thread. 

Edited by Crunchmeister

I just did a test flight with MSFS out of KSFO and was held for traffic on final.  I had to turn traffic volume down in order to get enough spacing between aircraft to give enough spacing so I could get clearance to Lineup and Wait behind a landing aircraft.  Then I got clearance to takeoff after that aircraft cleared the runway.

The only thing I can think of is there may be something specific about the taxiway/runway definitions at a particular airport that could be causing a problem.  

But with MSFS, the AI Traffic knows what runway they are landing on and P2A uses that in deciding if there will be a conflict.  If that runway information is missing, then that could also explain why you would get cleared in front of a landing aircraft.   

The next time it happens, try and capture the GS and Rwy assigned to the offending Traffic and let me know the runway and airport involved along with the Traffic Information so I can try and replicate the issue.  A screenshot of the P2A screen showing the traffic with the information displayed would be ideal.

Dave

Getting zero traffic recognition for a long time.

X-Plane 12 and Traffic Global. TG set to 79 active aircraft. Had a plane waiting for me so TG can see me. Done some testing.

P2A gave me clearance for take-off when an EasyJet was at 100ft - I could see the pilots waving.

Clearly does not work. Hasn't for a loooonnngggggg time.

EDIT: I am on 5X7

Edited by demontraitor

3 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Was the landing aircraft displayed on P2A's map in red?

yes it was as I was waiting for aircraft to approach during my testing. I tested while the incoming aircraft came in from different distances. I guess you have logic based on the approaching range? I personally would be happy that was increased....

I wanted to show screenshots, but this forum is not compatible 😕

With X-Plane there is very little data about AI Traffic available, so P2A has to guess which runway a plane is heading toward for landing.  If there are parallel runways, especially ones close together, it can get it wrong.  This is especially true if the alignment of the taxiway/runway data used by P2A does not match the SIM taxiway/runway position data.

You could try importing the Taxiway data using P2A TaxiMnt and that might improve P2A's ability to get it right. 

What runway and airport were you taking off from?

23 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

With X-Plane there is very little data about AI Traffic available, so P2A has to guess which runway a plane is heading toward for landing.  If there are parallel runways, especially ones close together, it can get it wrong.  This is especially true if the alignment of the taxiway/runway data used by P2A does not match the SIM taxiway/runway position data.

You could try importing the Taxiway data using P2A TaxiMnt and that might improve P2A's ability to get it right. 

What runway and airport were you taking off from?

EGSS/22

I always import Taxi data for Departure and Destination Airports when starting a flight. I can try and test again.
Maybe it's a feature that can no longer be supported? It's an immersion killer if it cannot be sorted 😕

It works for me with X-Plane.  You might try a different airport.  Also, check to see how well the red runway lines in TaxiMnt align with the Satellite map.  

If it doesn't work, you can Save the Taxiway data from TaxiMnt and email to admin@p2atc.com and I'll load it and see if I can get it to fail.  Let me know what Runway/Airport you are taking off from so I can try and set up the same scenario.

Dave