Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Flight Terrain X (to work with FEX) Announcement!!

Guest Speed

Oh boy this is getting confusing.Have you seen screenies of GEX? Whats the other stuff that excites you?

Guest koorby

Hi Speed,The FTX website has a Q&A section which explains the GEX vs. FTX situation. Hope that helps :)

Looks very promising! Since Flight Terrain X will also deal with landclass I'm wondering wether it will be compatible with the Ultimate Terrain X series. Could you have FTX ground textures with the UTX roads? Sorry if it has been answered before; couldn't find it in this post :)

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Guest koorby

>Looks very promising! Since Flight Terrain X will also deal>with landclass I'm wondering wether it will be compatible with>the Ultimate Terrain X series. Could you have FTX ground>textures with the UTX roads? Sorry if it has been answered>before; couldn't find it in this post :)Yes of course. Allen Kriesman and I talk on a regular basis and I've always been a huge fan of UT. Naturally we will ensure that FTX USA will work seamlessly with UTX-USA, we even mention it on our website.We may of course create some more art assets which conform to Allen's SDK so that we will further enhance UTX's ground textures. Personally, I can't wait what we will produce for the Pacific Northwest area, which is our launching point for the US.We are doing custom landclass, coastlines, water, lakes and rivers for Australia, but that's purely because there's no product like UTX for Australia. We're trying to convince Allen to advance his release schedule for it, but at the moment he's focused on Europe.The beauty about the FS developer community is that it's quite small, and I'm a firm believer in the exchange of information between us all, so that ultimatly the user ends up the winner with products that mesh well together. I truly think the FEX-FTX-UTX combo for North America will change the sim completely :)

Looking good!!!I don't know if it is one airport per region or exactly what, but I see that an "airport" is mentioned as included. Just what does this mean and how does this relate to all of the airports?Per chance has FTX found a way to adjust the way that so many airports appear to be on for lack of a better word, a Pinnacle? So many seem to be a raised insertion on top of the more natural terrain around them with clifs falling off to the side surrounding the airport.Thanks for the information.RTH

Guest Mike707

Koorby,I have a question for you. With FSX SP2, one of the features that was cut was world lighting. Is world lighting something that could be done by a third party developer group? If FEX or FTX could produce this feature, I am sure it would be one of those items that would totally transform the sim. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply John. I've read your website again more carefully and indeed, the information was right in front of me :-doh Looking forward to this project very much. It will change FSX for sure :)

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Guest koorby

>Koorby,>I have a question for you. With FSX SP2, one of the features>that was cut was world lighting. Is world lighting something>that could be done by a third party developer group? If FEX>or FTX could produce this feature, I am sure it would be one>of those items that would totally transform the sim. Thanks.Certainly one of the aspects of the integration of the FEX Xenvision technology with FTX is the ability to manipulate the ground textures and environment in real-time. For instance, we hope to introduce cloud shadows and also sun spot brightening of parts of the ground, which will add some more depth. It's early days for this tech yet, but my quick answer is that Chris Norris has a lot of vision for this engine and we're working together over the coming months to do quite some creative things with textures in real-time both inside and outside the fsx.exe core engine.

Guest JeanLuc_

John, what is you email address? you know I have for FS9 and FSX the 3D clouds position in FS... If ever I can help?

Guest Speed

Cloud shadows will be awesome, especially over water...thats something we were hoping for in sp2 but didnt get.

Guest koorby

Quick answers: We can't over-promise and under-deliver. That will get us into trouble before we get product out. So with regard to cloud shadows and HDR, it's really a case of seeing what the upcoming Xenvision tech which Chris Norris is currently coding, can do for ground textures. I have a definite "wish list", some of which may or may not make it into the sim. Either way, we're talking several months away yet, and perhaps not until Q1-08 before these features can be locked down.I am always mindful of "over-hyping" any product, so forgive my cautiousness here.