Sign in to follow this  
awf

Flight Terrain X (to work with FEX) Announcement!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks great- but only Oz coming within the next year?

Looks really great. This'll keep a few of us up past midnight.They should have released a Canada & Alaska first. The west coast is the hot ticket region for funky flying.But I'll get Oz anyway. How can I resist? :-hah

Hehe, I understand some may be frustrated at the wait before everything is covered. But we think the wait will be worth it, as with FEX we took many months to release but to get these kinds of results really does take that long.Also it won't seem that bad, with the first release in Australia there will be a chance to see early what is being achieved.FTX will do for ground textures what FEX does for the sky environment. :-)Warm regards,Chris Norris

>FTX will do for ground textures what FEX does for the sky>environment. :-)>>Warm regards,>>Chris NorrisChris,I found your particular commentary about Flight Environment X, on the FEX Website, some time back and thought your concept and philosophy for an environment add-on to be so well written about what the FEX team were doing that I waited rather than plunge in with existing addons at that time.FEX is sensational and I am very keen indeed to see Flight Terrain X come to life. Fantastic, inspirational work and so very much needed for the Flight Sim community!!!Paul

Looks awesome, I do hope it will also enhance airport ground textures also.

This is extremely exciting news. Very much looking forward to it.

Chris,Will there be a Flight Terrain X Pro released some time after the initial release of FTX?Ulf B

Chris,I think you've just given me the reason to build a new PC for FSX :-)Ultimate Terrain transformed FS9 and it looks like Flight Terrain X will do the same for FSX.Do you have any plans for a Ground Environment equivalent for FSX?Cheers,

Ray,From what I am seeing, FTX is the new version of GE.FTX only does textures........Glenn

Well, I hope this co-operation will mean that the resulting ground texture products will no longer require "texture set switching" outside of FSX when moving from one part of the country / world to another.The only reason why I never installed Vista Oz, as great as it looked, was because it wasn't a "one installation for everything" package. I didn't like the idea that if I wanted to do a cross-country flight I'd have to save the flight part of the way, exit FS9 / FSX, install a different set of textures for a different part of the country, run FS9 / FSX again and resume my flight :/ This should make it possible to use these products online, too, where you *can't* exit the sim to switch textures.

Thanks Glen. But if FTX is only textures (with more detailed coastlines presumably) then how can it replace a product that concentrated on improved landclass which is what GE did.I'm confused. Won't the default landclass also need improving? If so then we'll need a FSX alternative for GE.Cheers,

Ray,GE did not provide landclass, nor did it enhance coastlines. For this you needed Ultimate Terrain. Ultimate Terrain provided coastline improvments and urban landclass. If you just wanted improved landclass you could use another product like FSG Landclass Project.GE only gave new textures as will FTX. Landclass products tell FS which textures to use where and when.If you want the landclass and improved coastlines you will still need the Ultimate Terrain series of products.Glenn

Glenn,My mistake. GE provided replacement textures. I know it didn't give me enhanced coastlines.UT provided enhanced landclass as well as detailed coastlines for FS9. UTX is currently only available for the US. Hopefully a Europe version will be available by the time I build a new system.Cheers,

Well, anybody could get confused.I'm running FSX, DX9, FEX, MTX, AFX, KML, ASX and PFE. I used FSC in FS9, but not in FSX. I'm now waiting for UTX (Europe) and FTX ;-)Ulf B

so...if this is done region by region. How many regions are there in the US?I see OZ has 4 region X $25 = $100 for GE enviroment pro type textures for Australia.For US = ?For Europe = ?Manny

Ray,It's not hard to get confused! UTX Europe will hopefully be out by the end of the year if you check over at the forums. Not too long to wait fortunatley.Canada is next....anytime now.....maybe in time for our Thankgiving this weekend.

Manny,That is a very good question that I am concerned about as well.You would think the USA/Canada/Europe packages are going to need a LOT of regions.Bulk discounts the order of the day I would think!........Glenn

Glenn,Whilst appreciative of this excellent looking scenery package I am also concerned that it may be pricing itself out of the market with mention of pricing per region.UT Europe was around 35USD as was UT USA. Hopefully Europe will be a single region as will the US but if they aren't it may not be so attractive. There are limits to what I'm prepared to pay and I imagine I'm not alone.Anyway, I hope you get Canada for Thanksgiving :-)

I don't think anyone need be concerned about anything IMO.I don't think anyone is planning to do the whole world for under a hundred bucks for FSX?I could be wrong though?

>Well, anybody could get confused.>>I'm running FSX, DX9, FEX, MTX, AFX, KML, ASX and PFE. I used>FSC in FS9, but not in FSX. I'm now waiting for UTX (Europe)>and FTX ;-)>>Ulf B >>It is getting a little confusing, although considering the impending outcome that is ok too. I read on the Voz Forums that Voz Pro (Australia) has now been replaced by FTX (Flight Terrain X). It was also commented on that FTX has nothing to do with GE (Ground Environment) for FSX, a forthcoming, separate product too. To further compound things, there is also a freeware product coming out now called, Voz Scenery X which is presumably like Voz was for FS9.There is another excellent description of what FTX is going to offer that includes things like 'on the fly' texture swapping, no need therefore to load different regions as you fly from one to the other and accurate region based landclass. Go over to the FTX website and read this page as it is very interesting reading:http://www.flightterrain.com/intro_john.htmlDifferent developers are building innovative products and now are finding that they can collaborate together and work to bring an ever better flight sim addon, hence the name changes etc.It all bodes well for we mere 'pilots' I guess.Paul

Paul,I think it is not as complicated. The GE referred to on the FTX website is Google Earth -- not Ground Environment (as far as I can tell). Voz Scenery X is a free addon that puts detailed airports, buildings, and other structures on the landscape to compliment the ground textures and autogen of FTX. So, they all should work together rather well (especially given they are from the same team). Of course if I've got my info all messed up, please feel free to politely correct. I'm somewhat glassy eyed from taking care of sick kids today.Take care,Joshua

Joshua,No mate, nothing to correct at all on your part. I knew they were talking about Google Earth over on the Flight Terrain Website. The thing is, I guess I can understand why some folks may be a little confused about what is going on now, particularly with Voz (Australia). We originally had Voz for FS9 (Freeware), then Voz Pro was announced, a future payware product for FSX. There was also Voz for FSX (freeware), which has now been renamed to 'Voz Scenery X'. Voz Pro has now been replaced by FTX and GE for FSX (Ground Environment I mean here) is still a product in the works and being developed by Peter Wilding, who is also part of the FEX, FTX team.I just posted on the Voz forum, suggesting only, that maybe the applicable developers/team could clear things up, by stating what has been renamed, made defunct, happening in the future, all in one statement. GE (Ground Environment for FSX) is due for release before 2008, I believe, with the USA and Canada coming out first but I am wondering how FTX may have now affected that product too?Paul