Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

Cessna 172N with Garmin GNS530

Hello all,

I'm currently in flight training with a Cessna 172N that has analog gauges and a Garmin GNS530. I was hoping to be able to practice on MSFS 2020 but I prefer to use a plane that closely matches my real world trainer. I did get the GNS530 addon for the stock Cessna 172SP but I really want a Cessna 172N.

Is there any payware or freeware Cessna 172N that is compatible with MSFS 2020? I wonder if the Carenado C172N can be used with MSFS 2020. I've been out of the scene for so long, that I really have no idea what's popular, and what's not.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

What is different about the N model?

Maybe not that much difference for me to even worry about it LOL I believe the engine is different but now that I remember, the trainer I use has an updated Lycoming 180HP engine. So technically not much different than the stock C172SP in MSFS 2020.

Although the stock 172SP is fuel injected, while my C172N trainer is carburated and has carb heat, which the stock C172SP does not. That's the biggest difference that stands out to me.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

36 minutes ago, BimmerCop said:

I did get the GNS530 addon for the stock Cessna 172SP

Are you still using the old GNS530 addon from PMS?  If so, you should drop it and use the now much improved stock WT GNS530..

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Are you still using the old GNS530 addon from PMS?  If so, you should drop it and use the now much improved stock WT GNS530..

Yup, got the latest WT GNS530 installed. I'll speak with the mechanic today and see what the main differences would be from the stock C172S vs our C172N, besides the normally aspirated vs fuel injected engine. Flight model should be the same, I would think. I think I read somewhere there is an addon for the stock C172S that makes it more realistic. You know anything about that, Bert?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

7 minutes ago, BimmerCop said:

I think I read somewhere there is an addon for the stock C172S that makes it more realistic. You know anything about that, Bert?

Sorry, cannot help there.. As best I know, Asobo upgraded the C172SP flight model sometime last year, and it is currently viewed as one of their "better" flight models.. 🙂

Bert

10 minutes ago, BimmerCop said:

I'll speak with the mechanic today and see what the main differences would be from the stock C172S vs our C172N, besides the normally aspirated vs fuel injected engine.

If you should find that the engine is slightly overpowered, compared to what you are used to, you can de-rate it by editing one line in the engines.cfg file for the airplane.

[PISTON_ENGINE]
power_scalar = 1 ; Piston power scalar

You can reduce this value to  .90  as a test..  Personally, I do not find the airplane overpowered, but flight school aircraft vary all over the place.

• Like 1

Bert

The default 172SP is not shabby at all paired with the delicate WT G1000nxi. Blows the X-plane variant out of the water quite handily.

Difference between N and S besides aspirated engine w. Carb heat vs fuel injection would be the slightly bump in max takeoff weight 2450 for SP vs 2300lbs for the "N"-variant. Doubt you will even notice it during training unless you do the infamous takeoff with max load exercise (usually involving sandbags or other students as pax) 😆

• Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

19 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you should find that the engine is slightly overpowered, compared to what you are used to, you can de-rate it by editing one line in the engines.cfg file for the airplane.

[PISTON_ENGINE]
power_scalar = 1 ; Piston power scalar

You can reduce this value to  .90  as a test..  Personally, I do not find the airplane overpowered, but flight school aircraft vary all over the place.

Good to know! Thanks!

16 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

The default 172SP is not shabby at all paired with the delicate WT G1000nxi. Blows the X-plane variant out of the water quite handily.

Difference between N and S besides aspirated engine w. Carb heat vs fuel injection would be the slightly bump in max takeoff weight 2450 for SP vs 2300lbs for the "N"-variant. Doubt you will even notice it during training unless you do the infamous takeoff with max load exercise (usually involving sandbags or other students as pax) 😆

Actually, our trainers have upgraded engines (180hp) and according to the revised W&B sheet, it has a basic empty weight of 1,600 lbs and useful load of 949 lbs. Putting it at 2,549 lbs... I guess other than not having a carb heat, the stock C172S will be good enough for me. 🫡🤣

• Like 1

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz