Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Joystick Axis Resolution

Does FSX read the full resolution of a modern USB joystick axis? I ask because it seems as if it is reading in steps rather than a smooth movement. I use a CH Fighterstick.From a search, I found one similar topic and it referred to a registered version of FSUIPC being able to control this. (Although pre-FSX) If FSX can be made more sensitive (my sensitivity sliders are maxed already), can it be done in a config file?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Does FSX read the full resolution of a modern USB joystick>axis? I ask because it seems as if it is reading in steps>rather than a smooth movement. I use a CH Fighterstick.>>From a search, I found one similar topic and it referred to a>registered version of FSUIPC being able to control this.>(Although pre-FSX) If FSX can be made more sensitive (my>sensitivity sliders are maxed already), can it be done in a>config file?My Thrustmaster Cougar is smoooooooooooooth.Check out the CH forum.

There are settings, that change movement from steps to following the joystick movement. Unfortunately, I've completely forgotten what & where the settings are! :)I don't use FSUIPC, but my Saitek X-52 USB does move the control surfaces the same amount I move the stick axis. All programming is whithin the sim, as I don't use the Saitek software either.L.Adamson

Note: In reference to steps, I'm talking "differential" versus linear --- and even those terms might not be correct. Not a jumpy joystick where you can see individual movements. As I'm getting older, I find that I am caring less about computer savvy, the proper terms, computer etiquette, reloading paid for aircraft & scenery after HD crashes, etc. :-hah L.Adamson

Thank you for the response, LAdamson. From what you describe, I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I'd be willing to give it a try if someone can give me the config line.Another thing occurred to me. I only notice this when going from a stable position to a slight change. Like flying level and then making a slight course correction. Although I get fairly good frames most of the time, it might be that I am noticing poor FPS. I think that's unlikely but I never actually test my frame rate, so I might be just above what I perceive as choppy. Time to fire up FRAPS.edit: Well I wish I hadn't done that. Single digits (7-8) at my home airfield (KSDF) climbing to ~15 as I pull away from it in the stock Baron. I recently added traffic so maybe I went too far.

If you are having issues with slight controller corrections, you can try experimenting with the "dead zone" of your controller. Reduce the dead zone to nothing, and then increase it bit by bit until you get a smooth response.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim