Sign in to follow this  
Guest GREENGRASS

FREE New Addon: FSX Google Earth Flight Recorder

Guest MikeWilson

Dear Fellow FSX Flight Simmers,Quick intro as I know my posts count isn't particularly high... :)My name is Mike Wilson, I worked as a developer with Chris Norris and Peter Wilding on their rather excellent Flight Environment X (FEX) package, released last week.Since FEX was released, my coding fingers have been getting a little itchy, so I've written a neat little application which will allow you, the player to record your flight path into Google Earth. I have attached a sample saved flight recording file to this forum post.:D Best of all, it's FREE :DYou can download your copy of FSX GE Flight Recorder 1.0 from: www.evolvedsoftwarestudios.com/products_fsxgefr.htmlI hope you like it. I'm new to these forums, so please be gentle with me!Warm Regards,Mike Wilsonp.s. I would be very interested to receive screenshots and saved flight recordings from other forum users so that I can include them on the product website and release them with the software (all credit will be given to the author of any screenshots or flight recordings).

Guest MikeWilson

Thanks :)Hope you enjoy it - I've just noticed one quick thing. Within the settings, the default sensitivity on the slider should be right up to maximum. There is no FPS hit, but it does make the resulting file a bit bigger.I'll make the fix to the settings and put a new version up right away. Then it's off to bed cos it's 4am here in the UK :@)Warm Regards,Mike Wilson

Guest MikeWilson

WOW, that's pretty cool :)I have just released a software update to version 1.1 to fix the sensitivity, the line should be 59 times more detailed for you now.I am absolutely jaw-to-the-floor over your images though. That's not flight sim, is it? Those pictures are spectactular - even better than the real life Google Earth textures ;)

Guest MikeWilson

I'm glad you like it :)What's the plane? I can tell it's multi-engined and you have some gorgeous scenery.

Guest MikeWilson

>That looks pretty cool. I'll give it a shot. My lines might>not be as smooth as yours ;)I bet they are!Since you don't feel the vertical G forces in Flight Simulator X (unless you have one of those funky looking 6DOF motion platforms), I find it useful to have an 'after action' report of my flight viewable. And nothing out there beats Google Earth for usability (scrolling, panning, etc). I was really suprised to see the effects of the up and downdrafts on the altitude of the aircraft once the track was exported to Google Earth. Sure you can see the altimeter move it is often suprising how far off course even slight wind can affect your flight.If you've got any good flight recordings, send 'em to me please :)

Nice clean app.One suggestion is to have an option to change the color of the track, those who are red / green color blind might have a harder time seeing the red line on a usually greenish map.Down the road be nice if it showed the plane position/track in real time in GE, I currently use FSX Google Earth Tracker for that.http://www.juergentreml.de/joomla/index.ph...id=46&Itemid=57It works well but is not updated anymore it seems, but is now open source you might be able to port his code to your app.In any case, thanks for your tracker!

Guest MikeWilson

Excellent suggestions, I'll get those done :)

Here is one , I flew from KBTL (Kellogg) toward KGRR (Grand Rapids) then landed at KBIV( Holland, mich). Part of the map isn't the nice texture but it is around Battle Creek and Grand Rapids.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178769.zipSorry I didn't get any screenshots. I believe I need to calibrate too as it looks like I'm off the runway a bit at the beginning.

Guest MikeWilson

Hi and thanks,Grand Rapids looks like a beautiful area, have made a mental note to visit if I ever get the chance :)Best Regards,Mike

Guest Marlin Manhiem

Mike thanks a bazillion for the killer program!!!!Just the other day I was showing my old lady the general path that I have taken so far in my round the world trip, using the Ruler option that is on the toolbar. That got me thinking, I should mark out my path but the thought of what you made was right on the edge of my brain. I guess you beat me to it, not that I would have a clue on how to make it.So once again I have to say thanks for the killer program.The added bennies that I noticed, no hit on the frame rates!!!! That was the biggest thing for me as my middle of the road computer has a hard enough time running FSX as it is.I have a question if you don