Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Hay

Disabling hyperthreading on i7 4790k

Hi.

Prior to disabling hyperthreading on my i7 4790k overclocked to 4.6 GHZ(system includes RTX2080ti, and 32gb ram), was experiencing CPU temperatures up to 100 deg C with occasional bsod.

After disabling hyperthreading, now experiencing maximum temperatures of only up to 81 deg C and system stability.

My settings mainly high and locked on 30fps .

• Like 1

MSFS runs better with HT on, especially with a quad core CPU.

You have overheating issues, most probably the CPU thermal paste needs to be replaced.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

6 hours ago, Stuart Hay said:

Hi.

Prior to disabling hyperthreading on my i7 4790k overclocked to 4.6 GHZ(system includes RTX2080ti, and 32gb ram), was experiencing CPU temperatures up to 100 deg C with occasional bsod.

After disabling hyperthreading, now experiencing maximum temperatures of only up to 81 deg C and system stability.

My settings mainly high and locked on 30fps .

You will be shouted down for this and told your PC isn't right if you are hitting thermal throttling (100C) in MSFS, but in some cases disabling hyperthreading can work better to reduce this issue, although I am surprised it works on a 4790 due to the low amount of cores to start with.

I have a 13900, and I disable all but 4 of the E-cores, and run non-hyperthreaded with the eight power cores that MSFS uses when running.  Ultra settings, 4k, 60Hz, silky smooth, and now only 90C instead of the 100C (and possible thermal throttling)  it was hitting before.

I have built PC's for over 30 years, it has a water cooler, properly seated, with the socket mod, and MX-5 paste.  MSFS is the only thing to get my chip to 100C with hyperthreading.  Every other title, it just cruises along 75-85C.  MSFS is a bit special! :biggrin:

Anyway, I am happy with the way I have it set now, and 8 power cores (without hyperthreading) at 5.6-5.8 GHz is enough for MSFS.  It still only uses two cores in the main I notice.  Hopefully MSFS2024 look like it will be better for multi-threading from what they say.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks Mr Fuzzy. CPU seated -/- six years ago so most likely paste. Will follow your advice and renew it.

However am really satisfied with the current performance.

Seems a little high for CPU temps. I get about 77C on an i9-9000

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

You will be shouted down for this and told your PC isn't right if you are hitting thermal throttling (100C) in MSFS, but in some cases disabling hyperthreading can work better to reduce this issue, although I am surprised it works on a 4790 due to the low amount of cores to start with.

I have a 13900, and I disable all but 4 of the E-cores, and run non-hyperthreaded with the eight power cores that MSFS uses when running.  Ultra settings, 4k, 60Hz, silky smooth, and now only 90C instead of the 100C (and possible thermal throttling)  it was hitting before.

To be fair, I wouldn't conflate the two. The 13900 is just power hungry, hot beast that needs a lot of cooling as it'll boost infinitely under the new boosting regime. A i7 4790k BSODing or shutting down due to heat and hitting 100c just means there's something wrong which could easily be fixed. So instead of sidestepping the issue by making it slower / worse, would probably be much easier, as suggested, to fix the cooling by replacing the thermal paste and possibly make sure the current cooling solution is running as it should.

• Like 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

32 minutes ago, Sethos said:

To be fair, I wouldn't conflate the two. The 13900 is just power hungry, hot beast that needs a lot of cooling as it'll boost infinitely under the new boosting regime. A i7 4790k BSODing or shutting down due to heat and hitting 100c just means there's something wrong which could easily be fixed. So instead of sidestepping the issue by making it slower / worse, would probably be much easier, as suggested, to fix the cooling by replacing the thermal paste and possibly make sure the current cooling solution is running as it should.

OK, I get your point.  I am maybe comparing apples to oranges a little bit, but MSFS is hard on all CPU's as far as I can see. 

Also, we don't know the OP's settings, which is another factor.  If he is running low settings / low fps (say vsync limited to 30) and getting this (100C), then yes, cooling issue.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

37 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

MSFS is hard on all CPU's as far as I can see. 

My 7800X3D is chilling at 55 °C 😛

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

28 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Also, we don't know the OP's settings, which is another factor.  If he is running low settings / low fps (say vsync limited to 30) and getting this (100C), then yes, cooling issue.

Thing is, it really shouldn't be a factor, which is also the problem. It's not normal for your PC to shut down or crash due to thermals / thermal protection. If you've reached that point, something is wrong with your setup. So it's a cooling issue regardless of settings or load put on it. A CPU should be able to run a max load stress test for days and never shut down. Might throttle, might run very hot but it should never shut down if everything is running as it should.

That's why it's probably best for OP to just reapply the thermal paste and take it from there, try to get his CPU back under control again.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB