Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

short charter flights a reality?

are short charter flights a reality? i mean would someone charter a plane to fly from say khio to kpdx or some other short distance like that? i suppose it would be possible but probably rare??thanksciao!Brian S

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah, it would definitely be rare. Corporate jet pilots often will find themselves flying very short empty legs to position the aircraft, though. For instance, in the Chicago area, the fractionals will fly into either Palwaukee (KPWK) or Waukegan (KUGN), and then takeoff again for another pickup at either Midway or O'Hare, which is anywhere from 8nm (PWK-ORD) to about 25nm (UGN-MDW). But these are empty legs, usually no pax.-MG

flights from the LA area to Palm Springs less than 100 miles away happen all the time. And positioning flights such as KBUR to KONT or KLGB to KLAX for example, also happen often.

Hey, call me a nerd but I fly to work at lest once a week. KTKI-KDFW about 28nm. I guess you could call it chartering myself! Cheers,Sean

funny you mention this...our company charted flights twice a week (tue and thur) from KHIO to The Dalles (up the gorge) for about 6 months. I took that private charter flight at least once a week for that time. We were working on project their and it proved simply the best way to do it.The company was Salem Air Center Charter (dont know if their still there under that name). The plane was either a Cessna 441 or their Baron 58P (pressurized, owned by one of our state senetors).They would fly up from Salem to either Aurora or Hillsboro (usually HIO). Nice outfit, I always sat in the right seat with my own headset, fun times.