Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

question about FSX default scenery

Ok so I am completley lost in terms of scenery. Does FSX currently have some photoscenery and some "other" scenery?? Can anybody help me better understand the scenery because I am having a tough time with it. I want to get it to look better especially at lower flight and I'm just not seeing it. When I put it on 7cm just to see what it looks like I can assure that it looks NOTHING like 7cm per pixel and I can strongly assume that the default scenery is nowhere near that 7cm per pixel. I am also assuming that 3rd party developers are the only ones that can get FSX to "max out" if you will with regards to the sliders. So I guess this is all a 2 part question. My second part is what are the 3rd party add-ons that handle the scenery especially ground textures. And what really is photoscenery. What actually is autogen?? Is it just the 3d aspect of the 2d scenery that is used??How about Ground Environment. I understand that FEX is out what about "GEX"?? What is the best we can max out the settings right now?? I would love to know the stats as you can tell I am lost. Thanks in advance for any help clearing this up. It is greatly appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Setting the slider higher than 1m has no effect with default textures, and would only have an effect if the textures are made with a higher resolution than 1m. Even photo scenery only comes in 2.5m-1m per pixel. There's a few out there that use higher but only for very small areas. Photo scenery is aerial or satellite images pasted on the terrain mesh(elevation data). Autogen is 3D objects that are automatically generated and placed on the textured mesh. Hand placed 3D objects are also found in detailed scenery areas, butfor the most part all the 3D objects are autogen. Really there is little to nothing you can do for changing the look of things when you are close to the ground, as its going to be blurry no matter what. If you want a really good airport to fly into which has awesome down low details try Aerosofts Dillingham X. Is about the most finely detailed area I have seen, though of course its small. To detail even a very samll area like this takes many months of development time, so don't expect to see anything like this in large scale.http://sio.midco.net/FTP5/dillingham3.jpg

Ok thanx. So that's what I figured about the 7cm/pixel. I knew the default wasn't that good but it's pretty interesting that they went that far down (to 7cm/pixel). Any long-time simmers out there can answer this: In previous versions of MFS were the highest graphics settings reached?? I am very curious as to when and if when we are going to see 7cm/pixel and just how that is going to look. But, even if it looks unreal it's not going to be in 3d as the only thing that is 3d is autogen. Starting to understand this better. It's a very tough task to say the least but hopefully some day we get the best of both worlds visually.

Every time you double the resolution, you quadruple the file sizes..Not only does this take up a lot of space on your disk drive, but it also needs to be processed in real time and loaded onto your video card.Best scenery that came with FS9 was about 5m resolution, FSX has 2m resolution and takes up 4 times as much space, right out of the box.The higher resolution settings are there for addon vendors to experiment with, but you better have an awesome machine to run it on..In the meantime, fly VFR at about 2000 ft AGL and enjoy the 2m scenery... a lot better than FS2004, and that was a lot better thanFS2002 etc.. Just as a reminder, FS4 came on a single 1.4MB diskette. "Long time flight simmer"

Should have said "1 to 2 m resolution..." :-(To see some detailed MS default scenery, go to St. Maarten, Princess Juliana airport and fly around with scenery set to 1m resolution.

Hi all,"Setting the slider higher than 1m has no effect with default textures, and would only have an effect if the textures are made with a higher resolution than 1m."It's true that "generic" ground textures don't show resolution bettern than ~1m but all vector textures, that is roads, railroads, and shorelines have and can show detail up to the maximum of 7cm.Place yourself in top-down view above a default road or railroad and then switch between 1-m and 7-cm resolution: at 1m the road will be blurry while at 7cm you'll see road markings and railroad ties.Having said that the high detail is only visible at short distances (due to mipmap use) and the vector textures tend to blend better with the ground textures when they use the same resolution, i.e., 1m. Just wanted to point out that settings better than 1m are not entirely without visual effect.Cheers, Holger

The most detailed, high-resolution photo scenery available at present is that produced by Horizon Simulations for the UK. A similar package based on the same data set is available from Just Flight. These sceneries look completely convincing in FSX above 1500 feet. Earlier versions of Flight Simulator were not capable of displaying such high resolution, so you had to be higher (further away) before the photo-scenery looked realistic.The problem is, at low altitude (for example on the ground) photo sceneries look pretty unconvincing because they usually don't have 3D autogen. Horizon is in the process of producing autogen for their UK scenery but the trick will be to combine it with the photo scenery without making the latter look bad at higher altitude. Horizon has released demo areas with their custom autogen but I'm afraid I prefer the look of the standard photo scenery without the autogen.Cheers,Noel.