Hello,

Looking for a new 1440p monitor. Current rig is a 7800x3d / 7900 xtx build. I was wondering if there was any preference if I was going to use the PC mostly for sim use, occasional gaming and working with spreadsheets. I've always had IPS monitors for the last few years, and was never really satisfied with the how dark cockpits looked. OLED panels are out of my budget, as only the absolute top end models have been released here so far. Is color reproduction and black smearing that much worse on VA panels ?

Also, do Ultrawide monitors have any advantage when flyiing other than a larger FOV ? If I were lookiing for a curved monitor, what is the curvature that is comfortable to use ? I've seen as low as 1800R to 3200R.

Some monitors which I've been considering

1440p IPS  : Acer Nitro XG272U V3, Acer VG271U M3, Gigabyte M27Q
14400p VA : LG 32GB650, LG 34GP63, Gigabyte M34Q

Some of these may seem a bit old, but that's just how the market here in India is. Only the top end models are released the same year as US releases. Mid range and budget models usually take some time before they find their way here.

Thanks

I have 32" VA. The one Tom's Hardware rated highly. Made by Dell. Bought in USA at local Bestbuy chainstores which all have this model in stock. Tom's likes because has less of the normal VA image issues, and all the VA image strengths.

But it's not on a sale price right now:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dell-s3222dgm-prime-day-2023-sale

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s3222dgm-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-gaming-monitor-displayport-hdmi-black/6473700.p?skuId=6473700

---

But I would buy this wide screen model. The fps hit is not much at all compared to 16:9, And 21:9 which this one is has less edge elongation than if using two 16:9 (which is what I  do). I would buy this one.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dell-34-inch-curved-monitor-now-349

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095X7RV77

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Dell's monitors are heavy and built like a tank! Excellent build quality.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I recently switched to a 55 inch TV with a VA panel and while I am appreciating the deep black levels this type of screen is notable for sitting about 3 feet from such a large display throws up the drop off in image quality/contrast at the edges that VA panels are also noted for.  Not really an issue flying in daylight but quite pronounced when flying at night - you only see deep black night skies at the centre of the screen.  Maybe this would not be much not a problem with a smaller display but it certainly is with a 55 inch VA TV screen when sitting at a normal PC monitor distance.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Good points.

As I understand it:

VA has better contrast ratio (more vibrant picture) and are cheaper.

The downside is  less viewing angle, and more lagtime in moving images.

I use 2 VA side by side and do not notice a viewing angle problem. I use two 32" inch VA  monitors chosen by Tom's Hardware as best overall mainly because they did not have so much time lag as most VA. (DELL S322DGW).

Side by side (2 or 3 monitors) introduce image enlongation at the edges in MSFS simulator, but not in non 3D programs (like the internet). This is why a normal wide 16:9 screen of large size (like that 55" inch TV above) are very nice and practical. They are also relatively inexpensive. Everything is large, the instruments easier to read at a glance because they are larger. With two 32" 16:9 side by side like I use, nothing is larger, only a wider view.

It matters not much at all to MSFS that a big screen 16:9 TV only does 60 fps usually. But this is why game site reviews of monitors on Youtube don't mention them. A first person shooter benefits a whole lot with fps of say 144 or 180. But that's not very important to MSFS where you have very dense scenery, but the scenery is moving slowly. You need a great GPU because of scenery density, but don't benefit much with 144 fps like you would benefit in typical games. Big screen TV's are not very expensive these days, but high end monitors are expensive.

You could consider a quality TN? I have an AOC Q2778VQE and it's got less blur than a VA whilst still having a very good colour space. Contrast is better than an IPS but not as good as VA.

If you only flight sim then the quicker response and less blur of a TN won't really factor in your decision. But potentially a good TN will be cheaper than an average VA.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg