Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

Can I download MSFS into a different Drive. (4tb SSD)?

I put away MSFS for the summer and found that it was messed up and not loading when I got back to it.  So, now I'm wanting to try something different,

First, is it possible to download it to my SSD Drive? (H)  If so, what are the steps?

If it's not possible, can I then download the packages to another drive?  My SSD HD C Drive is only 512gb and I am finding it won't hold everything.  Even with just the Standard download with no

updates, it makes it impossible to run a video. 

Anyone got any ideas besides getting a new internal SSD HD?  The pocketbook has nothing but a couple of dead moths who died from starvation.

Thanks. Gary

1 hour ago, wyodeacon said:

Anyone got any ideas besides getting a new internal SSD HD?

yes, Microsoft does, the developer of MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-How-to-install-Flight-Sim-on-a-different-drive-

"is it possible to download it to my SSD Drive? (H) "

yes, but you didn't mention if it is an internal or external SSD, I assume external. running MSFS from an external SSD may take considerably longer to load, depending on the transfer speed of the SSD and type of connection interface (USB2, 3, 3.2 etc). 

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

15 minutes ago, wyodeacon said:

First, is it possible to download it to my SSD Drive? (H)  If so, what are the steps?

Is this an internal or external drive?  Other users have reported reduced performance when loading MSFS onto an external drive..

If your H drive is an internal SSD, you can indeed copy the Packages folder to a new folder on the H drive, and change the last line of the Usercfg.opt file to point to the new location.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

42 minutes ago, turbomax said:

yes, Microsoft, the developer of MSFS:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-How-to-install-Flight-Sim-on-a-different-drive-

Yes, it's an external Drive.

Also, I have been to the site you listed, but it says I have to download the Launcher first.  I went to my User/appdata/** they said it would be but that whole place is 0gb.  Empty.

14 minutes ago, wyodeacon said:

Thanks Bert Pieke.  It's External.  Sorry, I should have said that.

In that case, I would be tempted to only move the contents of the Community folder, using the free AddonsLinker app.

Better solution would be to add an internal 500 GB SSD, which is not a lot of money..

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Internal-MZ-77E500B-AM-Version/dp/B08QBMD6P4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Samsung%2B500GB%2BSSD&qid=1698453699&sr=8-5&th=1

Bert

but it says I have to download the Launcher first. 

no, that refers to the initial installation. after initial installation (which you already have) you can manually move the packages to a new drive of your choice and need to update the UserCfg.opt file (last line) to point to your new MSFS path.

"I went to my User/appdata/** they said it would be but that whole place is 0gb.  Empty"

no, it is probably only hidden by default.

View hidden files and folders in Windows - Microsoft Support

By default, you'll find the UserCfg.opt at the following location:

Microsoft store version

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Steam version

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

How to stop redownloading packages every time you launch Flight Sim – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

User.cfg opt File - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

MOVING THE PACKAGES INSTALLATION FOLDER TO A NEW DRIVE

After moving the packages installation folder to a new drive, update the UserCfg.opt file. Failure to do so will result in having to redownload the packages every time you launch the simulation.

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

turbomax:  Thanks for the great guides.  Some I have found, but not the cfg opt one. The reason I'm slow answering is because  I have had internet problems.  Startred downloading the standardf mandatory about 11pm my time, and by 11 this am it was only about 75%.  Anyhow, got it fixed now.

One question:  When I restarted downloading the base about noon, instead of showing "Standard Mandatory", "Deluxe", and "Premium" to be downloaded, I only saw the standard mandatory.  Does this mean it already got the other two?  If so, is there any way to prove they are complete and ready to go?

Thanks again. 

instead of showing "Standard Mandatory", "Deluxe", and "Premium" to be downloaded, I only saw the standard mandatory. 

"I only saw the standard mandatory."

I couldn't say since I purchased the full dog & pony show - Premium Deluxe.

there are 3 versions, only differences are additional aircraft and airports. which one did you purchase?

https://www.flightsimulator.com/store/

Buy Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe 40th Anniversary Edition | Xbox

Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard 40th Anniversary Edition

Included with Game Pass

----------

Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe 40th Anniversary Edition

$89.99+

------------------

Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe 40th Anniversary Edition

$119.99+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest you install the free Xbox app from the Microsoft Store. before you ask: it is called Xbox app, but runs on the pc 😃

it will show you all Microsoft games and MSFS versions you have purchased from the Microsoft store. you can re-install MSFS from there and also start MSFS there.

my game library consists only of MSFS.

Home - Microsoft Apps   https://apps.microsoft.com/home?hl=en-gb&gl=US

xbox-libraryz5iuq.jpg

xbox-mylibraryhoin6.jpg

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

If it is a Steam install, let Steam do it for you.  Seamless, easy and fast.  If it is MS Store, I have no idea.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I bought Deluxe Premium from the Microsoft Store.  From what I have read, I would have been better off not getting it there.  But..that's what it is.

I did look in my content manager and both are listed, so I guess I will figure I have them.

In reading, someone said to look for the B747-10, because only Premium supplies it.

Buy Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe 40th Anniversary Edition | Xbox

The Premium Deluxe 40th Anniversary Edition includes everything from the Deluxe Edition plus 5 additional highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 5 additional handcrafted international airports.

Premium Deluxe Additional Aircraft:

• Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner

• Cirrus Aircraft SR22

• Pipistrel Virus SW 121

• Textron Aviation Cessna Citation Longitude

• Zlin Aviation Shock Ultra

Premium Deluxe Additional Airports:

• Denver International Airport (USA)

• Dubai International Airport (United Arab Emirates)

• Frankfurt Airport (Germany)

• Heathrow Airport (United Kingdom)

• San Francisco International Airport (USA)

very nice.

Thanks again for the replies.  I have only one problem for now.  When I try to copy and paste packages or community folders to another drive I get an error msg telling me "Your organization does not allow you to paste this file here".  I've been on the internet looking to find a solution to this, but so far, nothing works.  One post said to archive the folder with 7zip, but it will not work because there are no files in it.  Not sure what to download in order to do this.  I tried downloading the A320 NEO, but it does not show up in community folder.

Oh, one more thing.  When changing the UserCfg.opt line, how much of the original line needs to be included?

8 minutes ago, wyodeacon said:

When changing the UserCfg.opt line, how much of the original line needs to be included?

this is how mine looks:

InstalledPackagesPath "H:\FS2020"

very nice.