Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

Can I download MSFS into a different Drive. (4tb SSD)?

why don't you just use the default Windows method to move an application:

1) start Windows CONTROL applet, select Settings

2) select: Apps: Installed apps

3) scroll down to Microsoft Flight Simulator

4) click the 3 dots on the right side, adjacent 2.04 GB

5) Select MOVE

that will let you chose a new target directory. Beyond that, I have run out of ideas.

controlsettingshhdvm.jpg

movemsfs-installedappy1cb7.jpg

movemsfsb3drj.jpg

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, wyodeacon said:

When I try to copy and paste packages or community folders to another drive I get an error msg telling me "Your organization does not allow you to paste this file here". 

MSFS has various constraints on copying the folders and or files.

First of all, I would try the Move command mentioned in the previous post, but I have also found that if copying folders does not work, moving folders may work instead..

Bert

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

why don't you just use the default Windows method to move an application:

1) start Windows CONTROL applet, select Settings

2) select: Apps: Installed apps

3) scroll down to Microsoft Flight Simulator

4) click the 3 dots on the right side, adjacent 2.04 GB

5) Select MOVE

that will let you chose a new target directory. Beyond that, I have run out of ideas.

controlsettingshhdvm.jpg

movemsfs-installedappy1cb7.jpg

movemsfsb3drj.jpg

This is always interesting to me.  You may be showing win11 and I have win10.  I have seen this type of thing posted many times before.  However, on my PC, every single app (literally) I have does not allow this.  The dots do not display and even the win10 supposed move command does not display.  I simply have never seen this option, ever.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, Mike S KPDX said:

You may be showing win11 and I have win10.

I actually did this on Win 10.

P7hjOQM.jpg

Bert

Thanks for the clarification Bert, unfortunately my comment still stands.  Just out of curiosity, do you have other programs, not installed via the MS store and not part of the operating system that still shows this move function?  just curious.

6 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Thanks for the clarification Bert, unfortunately my comment still stands.  Just out of curiosity, do you have other programs, not installed via the MS store and not part of the operating system that still shows this move function?  just curious.

Very few... Spotify Music is one.

Bert

Also Bert, I find it interesting that our interface screens are radically different and I have no idea why.  My interface looks exactly like the one displayed on this Webpage (programs and features).  I have kinda been hacking on this for about an hour and cant for the life of me get anything like your display.

Turbomax:  You have been very generous with your time and help, and I want you to know I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Bert and Mike, thanks guys.  Also, once again, Turbomax.

I'm confused though.  My Settings/apps and features looks just like Bert's settings for windows 10.  Apparently the other pictures are from Windows 11. Should have said I have 10.

When I first called up my Settings/Apps and Features, MSFS was not shown at all.  So I went to the first search box right above where the Apps start to show, and I typed in "Windows Flight Simulator".  Then it did show up, however it Looks different as the icon is greyed out.  And, there are no (three dots) anywhere to be found.  The only option I can find is either Move or Uninstall.  And, by double clicking I get and Advanced Option, but it's no help either. Since I don't want to do either, I'm stuck right there.

I don't have a URL or I would post a picture. I tried to copy and paste, but it would not work.  (Not surprising)

Edited by wyodeacon

1 hour ago, wyodeacon said:

Since I don't want to do either, I'm stuck right there.

the only remaining option that I can think of is to use the free Microsoft Xbox app, as I have illustrated earlier.

xbox-libraryz5iuq.jpg

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Well guys, after all of this I tried making new Community and Official folders in my H:| drive, then because I had nothing in community, I tried to just move the Files from my C:| Official, to the new one in my H drive. I then changed both the Community and Official to communityold, etc.  Then I changed the path in the cfg file to show new path.

It did not work...SO, I changed everything back to normal (including cfg), It now would not start at all.  so I uninstalled MSFS, went to MSStore and it asked my where, so I picked H:| and downloaded it again.  The download stopped and showed an error, and I could not get rid of it to try again.

Finally called MSFS support, and they got me out of the lockup. When they told me to try downloading again, it came up with the PLAY button.  I pushed it, and  It worked, so I now have the whole thing where I originally wanted.

If it works ok from the H drive, I guess maybe my problems are over????

One other thing:  Microsoft told my you cannot move folders out of installation drive, and that's why I was getting the message that I wasn't authorized.  Not sure if I believe them or not, but that's what they told me.

Again, thank you for all the help.  I learned a lot, and that's saying something for a 79 year old!

Oh!  if I ever do need to upload a picture, and since I don't have a site for a URL, how would I do it?

Edited by wyodeacon

26 minutes ago, wyodeacon said:

BTW, my Community and Official folders are still in C:\

That may or may not be the case.. on mine, the folders are linked from the C drive to the H drive where they actually reside.  What all do you currently have on your H drive and how much space does it take up?  The Official folder is really big, so you should be able to tell.

Bert

59 minutes ago, wyodeacon said:

Oh!  if I ever do need to upload a picture, and since I don't have a site for a URL, how would I do it?

• Like 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

That may or may not be the case.. on mine, the folders are linked from the C drive to the H drive where they actually reside.  What all do you currently have on your H drive and how much space does it take up?  The Official folder is really big, so you should be able to tell.

Where do I look? My C:\ drive shows both the Community and Official files.  However, my H:\ , In a WPSYSTEM folder shows a folder with a bunch of numbers and letters/AppData/, then a path very much like in C which ends with the two folders.  So maybe that's where they will go, huh?  The Official folder in both SSD's show contents.  Although they look slightly different with some (they look like nOTEBOOK saved files in C:\), but I can't open them.  What can I download that will show in the community folder to prove this?

I've got quite a lot of other stuff,  It's a 4tb, but still only has a little over 1.5tb. Almost 2.5tb left.

However, unless it will run fine as it is, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a 2tb WD Black and change out my C:\..  I'm just waiting for confirmation from Western Digital that it is compatible with my computer.

Sure do appreciate your patience and information.  Gary