Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

P3D Mesh Resolution help

I bought scenery for Aasiaat (BGAA) a small airport in Greenland. The instructions say you need to lower the mesh resolution slider to 76m in order for the scenery to display correctly. But when I set the slider to 76m and go back into the sim the slider will be set to 19m by P3D. Why can't I set the mesh resolution slider lower than 19m? The scenery is not usable with the mesh set at 19m or higher.

How does this look, with "wrong" mesh settings?

I only have other sceneries of FSCGAA and use higher mesh resolutions without problem. It is certainly a problem to use lower settings, but higher does not have the same effect like lower. However, with ENAS e.g., I had also a mesh problem. It was like a giant square flatten, to low for the airport cutting the mountains around.

I discoverd this was caused by mesh from Aerosoft Longyear X, which is not that close but still in the neighbourhood. ENAS contains mesh for a larger area including Longyear, so I could disable the Aersoft Longyear mesh and Longyear X still is fine.

Maybe you also have another mesh interfering with BGAA.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

With high mesh settings the plane is sitting on the custom runway/taxiways of the scenery and the default runway/taxiways show up on a higher level sitting just above the custom ones of the scenery. In spot view in the sim the default runway and taxiways layer come up to the wings of a Dash 8-100 plane.

I usually keep the mesh setting in P3D at 1m but the instructions say the mesh needs to be set at 76m because of default mesh in the area and the way they made the airport.

And does anyone know why can't I put the mesh slider below 19m in P3D? 

1 hour ago, Joseph29 said:

With high mesh settings the plane is sitting on the custom runway/taxiways of the scenery and the default runway/taxiways show up on a higher level sitting just above the custom ones of the scenery. In spot view in the sim the default runway and taxiways layer come up to the wings of a Dash 8-100 plane.

Sounds like different meshes fighting each other. Maybe also wrong altitude for P3D5. They say it's not fully tested, whatever that means. I also think about layering. Is it on top of everything?

No idea why you can't change the slider. Must be blocked somewhere, maybe in prepar3d.cfg? Did you google this problem? 

I saw back in 2017 was a problem with P3D3 not saving settings. Reinstall the client maybe fixes this. I can change to any setting I want.

Edited by blaunarwal

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

3 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

Sounds like different meshes fighting each other. Maybe also wrong altitude for P3D5. They say it's not fully tested, whatever that means. I also think about layering. Is it on top of everything?

No idea why you can't change the slider. Must be blocked somewhere, maybe in prepar3d.cfg? Did you google this problem? 

I saw back in 2017 was a problem with P3D3 not saving settings. Reinstall the client maybe fixes this. I can change to any setting I want.

Yes, it is on top in the scenery library. I don't have any other mesh in that area (the closest mesh I have is for the alps). I did email FSCGAA so I hope something can be done. But for now I uninstalled the scenery. Luckly I bought the scenery when it was on sale. I have never flown in Greenland before, so I bought the 3 FSCGAA sceneries for Greenland.

About the mesh slider - Yes, I did google the problem about the slider and didn't find anything. I started a thread in the P3D forums about it.

As I understand it, P3D uses the highest-res mesh data available at any given location.  You can set a higher resolution than the available data, which causes the sim to interpolate between datapoints in the mesh (which can produce wonky results), but I don't think you can set a resolution lower than the data available.

Are you using some kind of global mesh product?

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

13 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

As I understand it, P3D uses the highest-res mesh data available at any given location.  You can set a higher resolution than the available data, which causes the sim to interpolate between datapoints in the mesh (which can produce wonky results), but I don't think you can set a resolution lower than the data available.

Are you using some kind of global mesh product?

I have mesh, but nowhere near Greenland. The closest mesh I have to Greenland is the alps.

Over in the P3D forums they seem to think a addon is causing this problem.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:41 PM, Joseph29 said:

Why can't I set the mesh resolution slider lower than 19m? The scenery is not usable with the mesh set at 19m or higher.

You should be able to set the P3D mesh resolution to whatever you want regardless of the highest resolution mesh data that you have available.

I agree that you probably have some addon that is messing with your config settings.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

18 hours ago, dave2013 said:

You should be able to set the P3D mesh resolution to whatever you want regardless of the highest resolution mesh data that you have available.

I agree that you probably have some addon that is messing with your config settings.

Dave

I have a lot of addons installed and I have no idea which addon is causing the mesh slider problem. Since the beginning I have put the slider at 1m and never needed or wanted to change it so I don't know when this problem has started. So, I am going to just leave it alone and not use the Aasiaat scenery. Luckily the scenery was on sale when I bought it so I didn't waste as much money as I could have.

2 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

I have a lot of addons installed and I have no idea which addon is causing the mesh slider problem. Since the beginning I have put the slider at 1m and never needed or wanted to change it so I don't know when this problem has started. So, I am going to just leave it alone and not use the Aasiaat scenery. Luckily the scenery was on sale when I bought it so I didn't waste as much money as I could have.

I have a lot of addons too, but I don't have any, that forces me to use settings on this way. The addons doing it have their configuration programs and there they recommend a setting and you get it with a click but outside of this config program nothing is happening. 

Check MESH_RESOLUTION= in your prepar3d.cfg

I have a value of 24, which is 2m. Try changing it in the cfg file. That may solve the problem.