Sign in to follow this  
DazmoSim

Axis and Ohs No Joystick Scan button

Hi I have just had to change my MotherBrd and CPU due to failure. I have installed MS2020 and XP12 and all work great on Windows 11. I then did a clean install of AAO and I can't find how to scan for my controls. ie In the manage Hardware changes screen you should have a "Scan Joystick" button but its gone. I have  REPLACE, CLEAR and DELETE but no scan. What am I doing wrong. It all worked before OK or am I missing something, I have the downloads as per the installation instructions. In the left I have a list of devices including my controllers. How do i get them to the right side? Help please as it a fantastic program.

Scanning is not necessary, AAO does that automatically every time you start it.

Why do you want to scan for joysticks, what is the problem? Not sure I understand what you meany by "how do I get them to the right side". That is not how this dialog works (see manual...)

LORBY-SI

The "Hardware Change" dialog was made when you change a joystick on your computer, or when Windows decides to assign a new GUID to a joystick (that can happen when you plug it into another USB port)

What you did is like moving to a completely new computer. Did you save your AAO database first, did you create a backup and saved that externally?

When going to a new computer you can salvage your settings from the old one, but for that you have to move the database files of AAO over too. If by "clean install" you mean that all AAO files are gone, then all your configurations are gone too.
There is a chapter in the manual about "file handling", that will tell you where the database files are. Or create a backup with AAO on the old computer, copy over that ZIP file and restore this backup in the new one.

LORBY-SI

Many thanks will have another look at the manual. Unfortunately it was a complete rebuilt and new drive. I'm unable to copy any old AAO file as these were lost. 

15 minutes ago, DazmoSim said:

Hi Just one question : why don't I see a button to Rescan Joystick?

Because it is unnecessary? Should there be one?

Edit: Oh, I see, because it is in the manual. Well, no, that button doesn't exist any more, it didn't make sense.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

29 minutes ago, DazmoSim said:

Unfortunately it was a complete rebuilt and new drive. I'm unable to copy any old AAO file as these were lost. 

Then the "Hardware change" dialog is completely irrelevant for you. Once you have created some new configurations with axis/button assignments, you will see those on the right side - so, in case you buy a new joystick, you can then replace to old one with the new one - that is meant by "Hardware change"

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI