Sign in to follow this  
Reco01

Fsx se api.dll crash to desktop

Hi all

Sometimes when I start FSX se, when my flight  loads within a couple of seconds I get the blue  spinning icon and fsx se stops and I am back to the desktop Looking at event view I have located this error message

which is below

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000e3b9a
Faulting process id: 0x1ddc
Faulting application start time: 0x01da217ff04c1970
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL
Report Id: 151187a8-414b-4c4d-8cd8-c55360c1cec2
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Doesn't do it all the time but a little annoying and wondering if anyone here as had the same issue and is there a fix 

Regards 

Rhys 

Hello.
Try checking the integrity of the installed files through Steam. I had a similar problem and checking helped me.

Thank you for the attention. Sergey Labukh

If rebooting doesn't clear it, *(Curse you, Steam!) then I'd trying verifying the files as 6 yankee xray suggested.

Hi SteveFx

I was using fsxwx but not any more as it no longer works. I use lorbys weather engine which is part of live traffic but I wait for fsx se to load before I start any external programs. 

The only paid add ons I have is your direct x10 fixer and orbx NZ North Island scenery 

Cheers

Rhys

Can you try creating a simconnect.cfg file in your Documents folder containing the following 3 lines 

[SimConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=127.0.0.1

Ignore the SDK documentation about this file which is slightly wrong for acceleration and FSX_SE.  Do not add a "Port=" line as it suggests.

That should switch any simconnect users to use IP rather than a named pipe.

Let me know if that reduces or eliminates the problem (or makes absolutely no difference)!

The location in API.dll where your system is crashing is in an callback function that appears to be exclusively used by SimConnect.   I have a theory that the crash occurs if a simconnect user closes the session whilst FSX is trying to send it a message. I know this because I had crashes at the same location and did some investigation on it.   I think that the buffering that TCP/IP uses may make the problem less likely than with named pipes.

Note:  if this does help then ideally we should try and find which simconnect user disconnects during startup and try to switch it to IPv4 rather than switching everyone.  I also don’t know if fsx supports IPv4 for DLLs loaded via dll.xml., it may ignore the setting for these as they part of the same process.

Edited by SteveFx

Hi Steve 

Thanks for your help. I have copied the simmconnect cfg file from the SDK folder and replaced the entries with the 3 lines you suggested  and placed that into the

file explorer documents folder. 

I assume that is correct.

Regards 

Rhys 

Edited by Reco01

Hi Steve

Got another CTD involving the same dll 

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000e3b9a
Faulting process id: 0x24e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01da2bdec48605c6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL
Report Id: 1b0e50cf-4c34-4e1e-865a-d84748c65d4f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The only difference is the Report ID number 

Cheers 

Rhys 

That’s disappointing, there is nothing else that I can suggest.  From the ctd forum this problem originated with a windows update. From what I have seen  that seems to generate a spurious event that api.dll cannot handle.  In my testing switching to ipv4 seems to greatly reduce the incidence ( ie I haven’t seen it since ) but if you have had a further occurrence then the “fix” cannot be 100%.

Hi Steve 

Thank you very much for your help it is very much appreciated. I have had a new SSD drive installed, I went from a 256 to a 1Tb drive and lucky I did as the old SSD was starting to fail. I would often get the blue screen of death and windows wanting to repair, 

The CTD seems to be less than before, I searched the web and did read as you mentioned that a windows update seems to be the culprit.  All in all, it is a small but annoying inconvenience, that I can work with.  

Regards

Rhys  

Edited by Reco01
grammer