Sign in to follow this  
Harrier77

PSXT data buffer

Hi Nico,

I have noticed that you have removed the control of the data buffer time. I used to be able to adjust the time of the buffer from the default 30sec to as low as 15sec (for spotting at good ADS-B coverage airports), or increase it at some poor coverage airports.

Would it be possible to re-instate the user control of the time of the buffer? I appreciate the wish to keep PSXT simple to use for most users so I am not suggesting putting the control back on the UI, rather having it in the parameters.xml for the experienced user to use as required. What do you think?

Peter

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

3 hours ago, Harrier77 said:

Hi Nico,

I have noticed that you have removed the control of the data buffer time. I used to be able to adjust the time of the buffer from the default 30sec to as low as 15sec (for spotting at good ADS-B coverage airports), or increase it at some poor coverage airports.

Would it be possible to re-instate the user control of the time of the buffer? I appreciate the wish to keep PSXT simple to use for most users so I am not suggesting putting the control back on the UI, rather having it in the parameters.xml for the experienced user to use as required. What do you think?

Peter

Hi Peter,

The problem with making it varaible is that users tend to forget  the value they have set, and then I get complaints/questions about the traffic quality.

On my to-do list is to try to let the buffer time adjust automatically based on the quality of the data stream. Now  that I am - in PSXT- more in control over de RT API and sees how it responds, that should be possible.

Nico

Edited by kiek
  • Like 3

Hi Nico,

Whilst we wait for the potential auto adjustment of the time buffer I would like you to reconsider allowing users to select a 15 second buffer if they want it. I fully appreciate the issues you raise in the post above, but restricting what some users want (and what used to be available) because of what some other users forget is not good IMHO.

It could be a hidden parameter, or back to a UI selection as before, but maybe this time there could be a strong visual indication in the UI that a non standard value has been set, e.g. some text in red showing the value? This would be a very visual reminder to the user that he/she has used a different parameter for the time buffer.

What do you think?

Peter

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

2 hours ago, Harrier77 said:

What do you think?

Hi Peter,

Re-download 5.3.0 and see in he Manual a new section 8.3

hidden parameter SECONDS_DELAY,  default 30, range 15 ... 45  seconds

Nico

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kiek said:

Hi Peter,

Re-download 5.3.0 and see in he Manual a new section 8.3

hidden parameter SECONDS_DELAY,  default 30, range 15 ... 45  seconds

Nico

Thank you.