Sign in to follow this  
Jean Paul Reuland

Real life landing passengers planes

In my company it's required pilot to have CATII/III qualification to perform Autoland IRL, even if it's not CATII condition, and it have to be a CATII/III equipped runway even if it's not in current low visibility operation , and "use caution" when doing so, as the sensitive area might not get protected without LVO procedure in place.

TLDR, basically no one would do that unless it's CATII/III operation.

Of course Captain can still decide what to do in case of emergency, what we came about in brain storm is maybe both pilots were injured to a point that arm movement been limited or something....

12 hours ago, 2reds2whites said:

That's a very odd position to take.

I have several thousand hours in big jets and have have auto-landed perhaps 4 times, and only when visibility is sufficiently low to require it.

In anything above Cat1 visibility I have never autolanded. That's industry standard. For a start at anything above Cat1 visibility you have no ILS protections so the autoland can be a bit ropey.

Good morning

Thank you for your kind input. I was just curious to learn more at my age!😀 All I know about aviation is resumed to be a passenger since 1968!

Have nice Holiday Season

JP Reuland

11 hours ago, snglecoil said:

At my company, it is permissible to hand fly below FL200. I generally request autopilot on climb out above 10,000, and on approach, I hand fly visual approaches from the base leg with the runway in sight, or once in visual conditions on an instrument approach. Keeps the skills sharp…in addition to just being more fun.

Good morning, thank you for your interesting input to my first question. I accept this statement.

Have nice Holiday Seasons

JP Reuland

10 hours ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

Do you suggest that the autopilot is more reliable than the pilot himself? Indeed a strange point of view probably not shared by real pilots. And what makes you think that would be the case?

Good morning

Yes you are right! It must be that pilots are much more reliable than electronics in cockpit! It was just a curiosity question from someone not having a clue about this nice job.

Have nice Seasons Holidays

JP Reuland

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, z06z33 said:

I always hand fly the landing mainly because the auto pilot can't do it in the jet I fly lol.. Even if it could,I'd still hand fly the landing. The airline I work for encourages hand flying to keep those skills sharp, as per the FAA airlines can operate a flight with no working autopilot so if those skills aren't shap its gonna be a long stressful flight having to handfly. I usually kick the auto pilot on at 10,000 and off at 10,000

Thank you very much for your time Sir. I accept this answer and it makes clear to me today how things should be or can be handled! Have greatHoliday Seasons

JP Reuland

7 hours ago, G550flyer said:

Well, this is a "it depends" situation, but I will give you my general spill. In regard to automation and manually flying, you have to know and be proficient at both. In fact, during your 61.58 check and recurrents, you will do both. It's essential that you maintain proficiency to be able to handle all situations. For example, you visit an airfield where you can't autoland. Take St. Kitts for example, TKPK only has an NDB and plenty jets land there. I know when I would land there, there would be 777-200s in and out of there. Here in the USA, the FAA also requires that you circle during reccurents and checks. The last time you want to test your manual proficiency is at night, engine out with a crosswind. Also imagine those airports such as KLGA where it is common to do visuals for traffic flow in VMC. Also, KDCA where you do the visual/RNAV to 19. There is no auto land for that runway😁. Now, for sure, there are requirements for the crew and aircraft to perform so many auto lands to maintain certification.

But as I was saying, we have to be proficient at both. In the operations I've been in, you had requirements where you had to log ever so often. They were, HUD, VFR traffic patterns, night/day landings, precision, non precisions, GPS, go arounds, etc. Most, you will do in a simulator, others you take on in the jet as opportunities occur. It's a good practice. Not only do you have to do manual go arounds, you have to do auto gos as well. Both require slightly different procedures and responsibilities between the two pilots. I can't speak for every operation, but I am sure they have similar requirements to get you your required proficiency.

Good morning. Thank you very very much for your clear answer and I do accept it! May I hereby wish you a happy Holiday Season!

JP Reuland

• Like 1

7 hours ago, threegreen said:

If a pilot hand flying the airplane posed a safety risk that pilot shouldn't be anywhere near an airplane.

Well your answer is clear! Thank you for your input. Have a nice Holiday Season

JP Reuland

7 hours ago, FBW737 said:

Yeah you definitely want to turn of the AP once you can see the RWY. Unless you want to sit in a passenger seat for landing. Better leave the AP on then!🤔

🤣🤣 Yes indeed. Clear explanation. Thank you. Have a nice Holiday Season

JP Reuland

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

People seems to forget that computers are made by people, and guess what people make mistakes, I have far more confidence in our Aussie pilots than any AP.

Good morning. Yes you are right Sir. Thank you for your clear answer. Have nice Holiday Season!

JP Reuland

25 minutes ago, C2615 said:

In my company it's required pilot to have CATII/III qualification to perform Autoland IRL, even if it's not CATII condition, and it have to be a CATII/III equipped runway even if it's not in current low visibility operation , and "use caution" when doing so, as the sensitive area might not get protected without LVO procedure in place.

TLDR, basically no one would do that unless it's CATII/III operation.

Of course Captain can still decide what to do in case of emergency, what we came about in brain storm is maybe both pilots were injured to a point that arm movement been limited or something....

Good morning and thank you for your answer. It makes it clear for me today. Have nice Holiday Seasons

JP Reuland

@Jean Paul Reuland

If anything, you are, by far, the most polite and grateful person I have come across in these forums!

🙂

Merry Christmas to you, sir.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

@Jean Paul Reuland

If anything, you are, by far, the most polite and grateful person I have come across in these forums!

🙂

Merry Christmas to you, sir.

Good afternoon. Thank you.This is the remains of tough education in the 50's😀. Again thank you for your answer to my original question. Now I am not going to be ashamed to tell you that I fly only Zibo 737, with Simbrief and Navigraph full program. I only have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick which makes it very difficult to land manually! Very often it seems my plane is in a total vacuum of air and a small move of the stick, the plane answers with 2-3 meters deviation!🤣. Therefore I only plan flights between European cities with 60-90 min total flight but always with ILS auto landings until touch down. I perform always 100% perfect touch down exactly center line of the runways. I wish a very good day.

JP Reuland

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, Jean Paul Reuland said:

Good morning. Thank you very very much for your clear answer and I do accept it! May I hereby wish you a happy Holiday Season!

JP Reuland

Same to you! 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.