Sign in to follow this  
matos64

Use an aircraft autopilot in another aircraft ?

Hi,

During the past few days, I have been using again my Aerosoft DHC-6 twin otter for some caribbean ops after a long time away from the sim.

Although this aircraft isn't supported/sold anymore by Aerosoft, it still work great (for the most part) and I like it but God, I forgot how bad the rendition of the KAP140 was. 

On the other hand, I also own the excellent Analog Caravan from Blacksquare and it also has a KAP140 that works just wonderful! How it should work actually.

Any good brain know if it would be possible to make the DHC-6's KAP 140 behave the same way as the Analog Caravan from Black square ? I am not really talking about how the gauge itself look but talking about the actual behaviour of the aircraft when engaging the autopilot? I have tried some mods I found here and there, but no luck. The analog Caravan autopilot is so smooth, I would like to get this in the Twin Otter.

Thanks for your help !

Mat

There was a mod for the KAP140 available on Github that brought it to 100% realism.  It's that mod that was integrated into Blacksquare's aircraft that use KAP140, as well as WBSim's C172.

However, the standalone version of that mod (that could be used in any aircraft by placing it in the Community folder) no longer seems to work in SU14. 😔

Here it is, if you want to try it.  But as above, I've found it doesn't work correctly any more:-

https://github.com/FS2020-USER-TESTER/KAP140-MOD-PACKAGE/releases

Other than that, I'd guess that you're stuck with the nasty existing unit in the Twotter.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Interesting. I don't have a answer though.
But @Waldo Peppertried to mod the KAP140 for the Twotter a while ago, see this thread.

I  did a few flights with the 'Twotter' recently and it flies quite nice still. I noticed when trying to set the altitude via the default MSFS assigments it was setting the (independant) Altitude Alerter instead of the KAP140. Wether a feature or a bug it seems that's how Aerosoft coded the Twotter.
I had to use set the altitude in the virtual cockpit on the KAP140 instead.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Hi @JYW and @orchestra_nl Thanks !I knew about these and I checked these mods, unfortunately, none of these seem to work or have any effect on the DHC6 unfortunately. I think maybe MSFS updates broke them or they broke the interactions the mods can have with the Twotter. Too bad.

Edited by matos64

Unfortunately, I think the days of being able to swap avionics in aircraft are over. I used to love creating 2D panels for FS2002, but now everything is 3D models and code I can't begin to understand. There seem to be some people who do though, like the 152 mod with the tablet. Maybe you can ask them.

• Like 1

The Kap 140 in the Twotter is only usable via Honeycomb buttons, when you use this mod:

https://github.com/FS2020-USER-TESTER/KAP140-MOD-PACKAGE/releases

Had the same problem with the ALT setting not working and the alarm ringing every 1000 feets...with that mod it works fine.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Hi @Paladin2005 unfortunately, I have tried this mod but it doesn't work anymore for me. My main issue with the KAP140 is that when I engage it, it is very violent and jerky (typical of the default KAP 140) and then, very inconsistent for the other function.

But thanks again.

Mat.