I figured I'd share my experience with others incase some are having the same issues. I have seen a few post online with others having the same problem with the X-Axis (Roll). I have already sent my TCA Yoke back to Thrustmaster once to fix the issue but it came back a month later. 

Here is my original problem:

Thrustmaster Support
My TCA Boeing Yoke X-Axis keeps centering left of center. I can unplug and re-plug it in and it will be fine for awhile and then it will shift to the left of center again after awhile. This is not good when trying to fly planes in MSFS2020. Sometimes it will be fine on take off and then loose center on landings. Sometimes I have to push and pull the yoke Y-Axis (elevator) to get the left/right axis to re-center. I use both the TM drivers and the Windows drivers with the same results. Any suggestions as this is become a pain to use.

0CGeiNE.jpg

Since the problem came back I decided to see if others had the issues. I was amazed that this was a common problem. I then came across a post from a user on the xplane.org site. He actually took the yoke apart and figured out what was causing the problem. 

d8s6UsK.png

I followed his suggestion and order a magnet from Amazon.

eEQ9gvG.png

I installed the magnet and ran the TM TCA Boeing Yoke calibration procedures. 

Mm55LdC.jpg

Since doing this I have not had a single issue with my TCA Yoke. The calibration is spot on. You figure a company like TM would fix the problem since there have been a few RMA from other users. I saved myself a second RMA to TM and being without a yoke for a week or two. Simple fix for around $8.

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Wow.  Good for you!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Nice job. I wish thrustmaster would increase the quality of their gear. Boeing throttle just went out. Shifted back to honeycomb for that.  I know it’s only a matter of time to the airbus throttle from tm doesn’t work 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 1/11/2024 at 9:46 PM, Wise87 said:

I figured I'd share my experience with others incase some are having the same issues. I have seen a few post online with others having the same problem with the X-Axis (Roll). I have already sent my TCA Yoke back to Thrustmaster once to fix the issue but it came back a month later. 

Here is my original problem:

Thrustmaster Support
My TCA Boeing Yoke X-Axis keeps centering left of center. I can unplug and re-plug it in and it will be fine for awhile and then it will shift to the left of center again after awhile. This is not good when trying to fly planes in MSFS2020. Sometimes it will be fine on take off and then loose center on landings. Sometimes I have to push and pull the yoke Y-Axis (elevator) to get the left/right axis to re-center. I use both the TM drivers and the Windows drivers with the same results. Any suggestions as this is become a pain to use.

0CGeiNE.jpg

Since the problem came back I decided to see if others had the issues. I was amazed that this was a common problem. I then came across a post from a user on the xplane.org site. He actually took the yoke apart and figured out what was causing the problem. 

d8s6UsK.png

I followed his suggestion and order a magnet from Amazon.

eEQ9gvG.png

I installed the magnet and ran the TM TCA Boeing Yoke calibration procedures. 

Mm55LdC.jpg

Since doing this I have not had a single issue with my TCA Yoke. The calibration is spot on. You figure a company like TM would fix the problem since there have been a few RMA from other users. I saved myself a second RMA to TM and being without a yoke for a week or two. Simple fix for around $8.

Did you use just one of these magnets stuck to the back or is there two I can’t quite tell from the picture .

I recently noticed some weird control issues when making small adjustments to the left roll axis, so I also ordered some of these magnets and they are being delivered today.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

39 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Did you use just one of these magnets stuck to the back or is there two I can’t quite tell from the picture .

I recently noticed some weird control issues when making small adjustments to the left roll axis, so I also ordered some of these magnets and they are being delivered today.

I only used one. Also make sure you recalibrate the yoke after you install it. Mine has been working great. Also note I have the two throttle levers full down. They have a tendency to miss with the roll axis.

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

33 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

I only used one. Also make sure you recalibrate the yoke after you install it. Mine has been working great. Also note I have the two throttle levers full down. They have a tendency to miss with the roll axis.

I actually just noticed when I installed the drivers and checked the control panel how much the roll axis was jumping around and the throttle sliders were fully up, I put them in the down position and I didn't see the roll axis jumping around. Maybe that was my issue. I do have the magnets now anyway so will try a couple of flights.

How do you calibrate using the Thrustmaster flight control option? There is no calibrate button

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

18 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I actually just noticed when I installed the drivers and checked the control panel how much the roll axis was jumping around and the throttle sliders were fully up, I put them in the down position and I didn't see the roll axis jumping around. Maybe that was my issue. I do have the magnets now anyway so will try a couple of flights.

How do you calibrate using the Thrustmaster flight control option? There is no calibrate button

Check the -> recalibrate <- link I posted. Yes they move around when the throttle levers are up. I taped mine down to prevent me from moving them. It sucks we have to do all this to get it working correctly. 

Dan

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

Check the -> recalibrate <- link I posted

Thank you very much for this, sorry I didn’t see the link in the above post

• Like 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

On 1/27/2024 at 1:40 PM, Wise87 said:

Check the -> recalibrate <- link I posted. Yes they move around when the throttle levers are up. I taped mine down to prevent me from moving them. It sucks we have to do all this to get it working correctly. 

Hey I am wondering if you can help me,

Today I noticed the roll axis was drifting to the left again so I thought I would try one of the magnets. I didn't want to use the adhesive at first so I held the magnet in place with some painters tape just too try it. When I went too calibrate the yoke I followed the instructions but I could not get the led to flash rapidly (step 2) and was not able to complete the calibration. When I removed the magnet I could calibrate the yoke exactly as per your document.

Is there anything else I need to do when the magnet is in place?

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

2 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Hey I am wondering if you can help me,

Today I noticed the roll axis was drifting to the left again so I thought I would try one of the magnets. I didn't want to use the adhesive at first so I held the magnet in place with some painters tape just too try it. When I went too calibrate the yoke I followed the instructions but I could not get the led to flash rapidly (step 2) and was not able to complete the calibration. When I removed the magnet I could calibrate the yoke exactly as per your document.

Is there anything else I need to do when the magnet is in place?

What I did was peel just a little bit of the magnet adhesive down so it would stick to yoke permanently after the calibration. It seems to work better adhesive side on yoke.

I unplugged the yoke, held the two buttons as instructed in the guide, plugged in the USB cable again. The Xbox lite was illuminated and then I press the Xbox button and it will flash faster. I then cycled the aileron, elevator, hat switch. I left the throttle down and did not calibrate them. Then I pushed the Xbox bottom again to complete the calculation. Make sure you keep the throttle levers down. I taped mine down as if they move up just a little they will mess up the roll calibration. 

Dan

12 hours ago, Wise87 said:

The Xbox lite was illuminated and then I press the Xbox button and it will flash faster

Unfortunately when the magnet is in place this is the step I cannot complete. I press the button but the LED does not flash faster so I cannot perform the calibration. It works without issues when there is no magnet.

I guess I am going to have to return this yoke ☹️

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Unfortunately when the magnet is in place this is the step I cannot complete. I press the button but the LED does not flash faster so I cannot perform the calibration. It works without issues when there is no magnet.

I guess I am going to have to return this yoke ☹️

That is totally strange. Not sure how the magnet prevents it from entering calibration mode as the original author, myself and two other users had no issues getting it to flash for calibration. Sorry it didn't work out. You may have more issues going on. 

Dan

2 hours ago, Wise87 said:

That is totally strange. Not sure how the magnet prevents it from entering calibration mode as the original author, myself and two other users had no issues getting it to flash for calibration. Sorry it didn't work out. You may have more issues going on. 

Interestingly enough I also replied to the original poster over on the X-Plane 12 forum.

Looks like it could be my issue, the left slider definitely causes my roll axis too drift but even with it down I started having random issues again.

He posted the following reply:

I recently wrote a comment about my Thrustmaster Boeing TCA yoke , having to do with the sporadic full deflection

of the Roll axis , I originally thought it was the Hall Effect error , caused by magnet displacement , but

I unwittingly stumbled on the real problem , while I was fiddling around with the Spring tension

of the Yoke.

I ironically had the Calibration app , window open , while I accidentally touched the ribbon cable

that fed the lower two throttle sliders , and noticed that when I moved the cable , that the weak solder joint

made a temporary solid connection ( Continuity ).

I then fixed a tie-wrap to the ribbon cable , plus a small piece of Duct-tape , that held the solder joint firmly

and realized that the Slider , no longer produced the full deflection ( "Drift" ) of the Yoke , and both of the X and Y

axes lined-up , centered . Wow !

I then wrote to Thrustmaster , to determine if they would correct the solder-joint , as it was difficult for me to reach .

They agreed , so I shipped it back to Miami , and had Ricmotech fix the yoke. This was the second time that

I had shipped my unit to them , but this time , it really got fixed . I requested that they correct the solder joint , and they did.

Apparently , the two sliders , share a common Ground with the Roll Axis , so if the connection is weak

the Drift will either be intermittent or Full "hard-over" deflection .

My yoke never performed this well , even after the first day that I purchased it , due to the deficient manufacturing solder joint .

Here's the proof that the test is correct: If moving the Slider causes Drift or deflection , the problem is the Ground connection .

I think that many of have had this problem , due to a manufacturing defect , but Thrustmaster was gracious enough to fix my yoke .

My original Magnet fix comment was just a "band-aid fix" .

I hope this helps anyone , with a similar problem ?

Edited by RJC68

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks for sharing the information. I will check my cable also and see if I get the same results. 

Update - My cables were all solid with no movement when moving them around. My calibration has been spot on so I'm going to keep using it with the magnet fix until it gives me issues again. Again, thanks for sharing the above notes.

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 1

Dan

On 2/2/2024 at 11:29 PM, Wise87 said:

Thanks for sharing the information. I will check my cable also and see if I get the same results. 

Hi There,

I am curious if your yoke is still behaving? I actually returned my first yoke and brought a 2nd one from a different vendor in the hope it was a production issue, I am just over 2 months in with the new yoke and it started doing the exact same thing. I am pretty unhappy right now, I opened a support ticked with Thrustmaster so hopefully they can fix it but it'll probably mean having to return the thing.

For an expensive piece of hardware this is not promising, I am beginning to regret my purchase even though I love the yoke 😧

Richard

mmBbmS1.png