Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Got RTX 40xx on MSFS + 2nd display on Intel graphics?

If you have the above configuration, you're flying on the main display with frame generation enabled, and move your mouse over to click on something on the 2nd display connected to mainboard graphics, do you get a significant reduction in frame rate on the main display when frame generation is enabled?  And perhaps much more importantly, do you get any graphic artifacts, judders etc on the main display when you move the mouse back to the main display and click on something?  These issues make the Frame Gen mod I'm trialing something I definitely don't want, so am looking at a 40xx GPU....IF it is not plagued by similar issues when using along w/ an extended display off your mainboard.  I have the refresh rate set on both screens at 60Hz, FWIW.

Thanks

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

With a 40 series gpu why would you need to use the onboard graphics? You ,can connect up to 4 displays.  I run 3 4k displays off my 4090 no problem and keep the onboard GPU turned off.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

14 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

With a 40 series gpu why would you need to use the onboard graphics? You ,can connect up to 4 displays.  I run 3 4k displays off my 4090 no problem and keep the onboard GPU turned off.

Thanks that's a good thought.  Are all of your displays running at the same refresh rate?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well, I don't know why but I had bad results w/ the FG mod.  Really bad tearing while panning.  Plus, the issue of clicking on the 2nd display dropped frame rate down just like w/ separate GPUs.  What I'd really like to know is the answer to my question so hopefully someone set up as I am can confirm.

Noel

I don't run frame generation mod, but do run true frame generation.  The thing to know is that frame generation only works on the main screen when focused on it.  When you click on another monitor it loses focus and won't work.  This is an nvidia thing and not related to MSFS.  I don't find it terribly annoying however.  Once I click back to focus on my main screen it's near instant for FG to engage.  

I do agree however with the comment about only using the GPU for powering displays.  I had the original thought that Noel had.  Thinking it would take some load off the GPU by powering my other display off iGPU.  However no performance gains come from that.  In fact I would just turn off the iGPU in the bios and use only nvidia.  

More info here if needed:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/frame-generation-works-only-on-main-monitor/560486/22

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

I do agree however with the comment about only using the GPU for powering displays.  I had the original thought that Noel had.  Thinking it would take some load off the GPU by powering my other display off iGPU.  However no performance gains come from that.  In fact I would just turn off the iGPU in the bios and use only nvidia.  

Near as I can tell after connecting my 2nd monitor (1080p) to the 3080Ti via DP, and my main 3440x1440 to same, there is no benefit at all by connecting both screens to the 3080Ti, in fact there is no question it's going to use more resources in the 3080Ti to do this, how could it be otherwise.  Turns out the FG mod didn't work well as mentioned I had severe tearing when panning on the main display along w/ ghosting of 2D which I didn't have w/ the 2nd screen connected to iGPU.  The FG worked on the main display, and again when clicking on the 2nd display connected then to 3080Ti the same drop in frame rate ON THE MAIN DISPLAY happens, just like w/ separate GPUs.

Dave, when you click on another display does the main display where your hardware FG works did the frame rate drop on the main display?  Someone here mentioned this was severe for him until he set all displays at the same refresh rate.

Noel

One thing I’ll say is plugging into the motherboard in theory isn’t free either. The processor would drive that and heat is a cost. The cost on your gpu isn’t a concern because the sim will be harder on gpu. Plus assume the other screens are graphical cost items anyways.  Yes I notice a slight hit when I click off the main screen. But slight is the key word. I’ve got a fairly strong system. The overall benefit of frame gen well worth it for me 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 1/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, micstatic said:

One thing I’ll say is plugging into the motherboard in theory isn’t free either. The processor would drive that and heat is a cost. The cost on your gpu isn’t a concern because the sim will be harder on gpu. Plus assume the other screens are graphical cost items anyways.  Yes I notice a slight hit when I click off the main screen. But slight is the key word. I’ve got a fairly strong system. The overall benefit of frame gen well worth it for me 

Dave,

I took the plunge on 4090 FE as I am planning a new build as the price was right.  I have moved the 2nd screen to the 4090 and the hit when clicking back on the main screen is def better than when I had the 2nd screen on iGPU.  But, and this is a colossal but:  of all of the glowing reports about FG I had not seen one mention of the flickering that happens in high-contrast situations on the display.   When I look at the side window at the edge of the runway during taxi just a heinously annoying flicker, and what's worse is in the PMDG 738 cockpit, right after a pan, the glass display shake for a second or so, with any kind of panning.  So of course Googled this only to find the issue wide spread for users, not just in MSFS.  FWIW, last night was anxious to try another flight, however this was at night, hardly any flickering and I assume that had to do with less contrast which would explain looking out the side window at the side of the runway, but it seemed in cockpit the glass displays weren't flickering.  Now again in daylight, very annoying flicker associated w/ panning.

So, a little hope this isn't going to be permanent, but theories out there say it's a built-in side effect of Nvidia FG.

Right now going from a frame rate of 35 w/o FG, my baseline which is really wonderful and w/o this artifact, to an FG frame rate of 60-70, absolutely not worth it since panning now is nasty--unless you just avoid looking at glass displays during panning.  Your take?  I'm stunned I don't recall anyone mentioning this here, just glowing reports of FG, even by some as fanatical about animation quality as I am.  It's possible this is worse when the mouse pointer is active on the main display, but not sure.

Edited by Noel

Noel

9 hours ago, Noel said:

Dave,

I took the plunge on 4090 FE as I am planning a new build as the price was right.  I have moved the 2nd screen to the 4090 and the hit when clicking back on the main screen is def better than when I had the 2nd screen on iGPU.  But, and this is a colossal but:  of all of the glowing reports about FG I had not seen one mention of the flickering that happens in high-contrast situations on the display.   When I look at the side window at the edge of the runway during taxi just a heinously annoying flicker, and what's worse is in the PMDG 738 cockpit, right after a pan, the glass display shake for a second or so, with any kind of panning.  So of course Googled this only to find the issue wide spread for users, not just in MSFS.  FWIW, last night was anxious to try another flight, however this was at night, hardly any flickering and I assume that had to do with less contrast which would explain looking out the side window at the side of the runway, but it seemed in cockpit the glass displays weren't flickering.  Now again in daylight, very annoying flicker associated w/ panning.

So, a little hope this isn't going to be permanent, but theories out there say it's a built-in side effect of Nvidia FG.

Right now going from a frame rate of 35 w/o FG, my baseline which is really wonderful and w/o this artifact, to an FG frame rate of 60-70, absolutely not worth it since panning now is nasty--unless you just avoid looking at glass displays during panning.  Your take?  I'm stunned I don't recall anyone mentioning this here, just glowing reports of FG, even by some as fanatical about animation quality as I am.  It's possible this is worse when the mouse pointer is active on the main display, but not sure.

I can't say I have this.  Assume you have DLSS off?

PS: I'm also fanatical about stuff like this.  I insist on no stutters when taxiing.  

I just now found this thread. I've been using FG ever since I got my 4070. Have not noticed any issues Noel raised.

So just now I turned FG on and off in options, and also switched from TAA to DLSS back and forth. I see nothing at all different when panning while looking at the glass screen display in the Gran Caravan. Same thing of no difference when panning slowly or fast from forward view to side window.

Sitting on the default runway at JFK in the Gran Caravan I get 112 fps using FG. And 57 with FG off.

With FG on, I go to outside view and pan the view (I have a hat that pans the cockpit view. and I remapped that hat assignments so that it also pans the outside view, a whole lost faster than panning with the mouse). Smooth, no stutters at all. FG on, FG off, no stutters at all. The plane in the outside view is making complete revolution in about 1 second as I hold the hat to the right or left to pan the view and twirl the view around. No stutters.

Whatever I see while looking at the glass screens for jitters in cockpit view and panning, with FG on or FG off, is the same.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Sitting there at JFK, if the fps display was off, I could pan around in the cockpit view or outside view, and I would have no clue if FG is on or off (if someone else was switching FG on or off while I wasn't looking). Because 100 fps and smooth is the same to me as 50 fps and smooth. It would have to be in a denser scenery area where the difference is between 20 and 40 for me to appreciate FG.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.