Sign in to follow this  
zlThomaslz

Cap on Max Live Planes

11 hours ago, mike stryczek said:
I wish I could get automatic reduction.

Any ideas how that should work (other then the current simple algorithm based on range) ?

What airplanes do you want to see where? Do note that this may become a very dynamic (and maybe eye disturbing) proces, because aircraft may pop up that have higher priority in the algorithm, hence another aircraft (in sight) must disappear immediately. 

EDIT: Well after some thought I'll implement the following algorith, just as a first start:

You will be able to set a max live aircraft in the UI range 4 .. 300, default 300. That Max comes on top of the already existing range limiter.

In the calculation of  number of live aircraft I will exclude the live parked ones at gates, because since they are standing still, they do not need Simconnect updates at every frame, hence they are much more friendly in fps then moving aircraft.

In the calculation I will discriminate between airborne and gnd aircraft.

I'd like to start with 1/4 of the Max may be in the air and 3/4 of the max at the ground, so you will keep a nice mix.

Based on that, when a new aircraft needs to be spawned, it will only spawn if it fits the max for airborne or gnd.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kiek said:

Any ideas how that should work (other then the current simple algorithm based on range) ?

What airplanes do you want to see where? Do note that this may become a very dynamic (and maybe eye disturbing) proces, because aircraft may pop up that have higher priority in the algorithm, hence another aircraft (in sight) must disappear immediately. 

EDIT: Well after some thought I'll implement the following algorith, just as a first start:

You will be able to set a max live aircraft in the UI range 4 .. 300, default 300. That Max comes on top of the already existing range limiter.

In the calculation of  number of live aircraft I will exclude the live parked ones at gates, because since they are standing still, they do not need Simconnect updates at every frame, hence they are much more friendly in fps then moving aircraft.

In the calculation I will discriminate between airborne and gnd aircraft.

I'd like to start with 1/4 of the Max may be in the air and 3/4 of the max at the ground, so you will keep a nice mix.

Based on that, when a new aircraft needs to be spawned, it will only spawn if it fits the max for airborne or gnd.

LOVE IT

In principle I see it as a L range is a primary limiter and AC limiter is secondary eliminating from the outside in.

If max AC is set to 10 and there are 37 planes in the range of 40 miles the outside 27 will be eliminated.

But if there are <10 within the range of 40, none of the aircraft will be eliminated.

In practice I would probably use aircraft limit at 40 or 50 depending on the computers power

mike

spacer.png

Edited by mike stryczek

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

Max Live now available.

Awesome! Just tried the new update and it’s extremely more optimized now. The only thing I’ve noticed now is with this update when you land or are on the ground there’s a lot of planes popping in and out because it’s trying to load different aircraft I’m assuming because there’s more live traffic than the “max” number set. For example landing in MMUN I had live traffic limited to 10 and there was an active 30 planes in real life on the ground so as you moved throughout the airport planes kept popping up all over that airport. Some would just pop up on the runways or some would pop up on taxiways. Seems like it needs to only read those aircraft instead of trying to read and inject others within the area. No clue if that’s even possible but just sharing my findings with the update.

SWA VA - Ryzen 9 7950X3D , Zotac 4090 , 64gb DDR5 ram , ROG Strix Asus MB.

26 minutes ago, CptRocSavage said:

Awesome! Just tried the new update and it’s extremely more optimized now. The only thing I’ve noticed now is with this update when you land or are on the ground there’s a lot of planes popping in and out because it’s trying to load different aircraft I’m assuming because there’s more live traffic than the “max” number set. For example landing in MMUN I had live traffic limited to 10 and there was an active 30 planes in real life on the ground so as you moved throughout the airport planes kept popping up all over that airport. Some would just pop up on the runways or some would pop up on taxiways. Seems like it needs to only read those aircraft instead of trying to read and inject others within the area. No clue if that’s even possible but just sharing my findings with the update.

Setting it to 10 will obviously, in the busy place have that reaction but you’ll probably have 200 fps. The idea is to experiment with maximum that your system can handle...
I have very moderate computer and 35 is the good number for me with no dramatic popping of aircraft nearby
try 30 or 40 or more, and see if your computer can handle it, that’s the idea

mike

9 minutes ago, mike stryczek said:
Setting it to 10 will obviously, in the busy place have that reaction but you’ll probably have 200 fps. The idea is to experiment with maximum that your system can handle...
I have very moderate computer and 35 is the good number for me with no dramatic popping of aircraft nearby
try 30 or 40 or more, and see if your computer can handle it, that’s the idea

mike

Yes 100% agree with you and it was 120fps with frame gen. I’m more testing all parameters with it. I think 30 is probably ideal however at a big airport like KJFK you still experience it. 

Firstly, Thank you so much for this addition to the program, its exactly what I was looking for. As I said previously I have a 5800X3D, 64GB of ram and a 7900XT(basically amds 4080). Not a slouch at all. At JFK I find that 30 max is perfect, especially combined with inibuilds KFJK. I found my sweet spot, back with the just flight models, to be 50-75 planes in most areas, with 30 being the max at busy hubs, like KFJK, ORD, DTW.  I only see the popping in during rush hour times from my testing today, but other than that, fantastic addition.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64GB DDR4 3866Mhz - 7900XT OC 20GB

The principle of use is to keep adjusting higher and higher until your performance is below acceptable.
For most people with good computers no limit will be the answer
I suggest to start with no limit and then go down instead of the other way around
Also make a decision what do you prefer, well optimized Sim is perfectly usable at 30 frames locked.
I think it’s an excellent addition to very sophisticated app

mike

Aircraft popping up and aircraft disappearing, in particular when you are taxiing is due to the algorithm trying to show you only the 70 procent of the max live number that are closest to you. I could change that to a random set (only a new aircraft pops up if another one has disappeared from your lateral range). That would give a much  more stable sight, but then you might miss the guy in front of you taking off. Although, you probably will not know that you miss him?

Haveing random set could  be good at the ground, but certainly not in the air. Then you would miss the "trains" lining up for landing

Btw. This Max live limiter is certainly not meant to be used to get your FPS at 120... It is a means to reach say 35 FPS, which is good flyable in a Flight Simulator. This is not a shooting game.

Edited by kiek

i agree its not meant to run at 120fps, back in the old days 30-35fps in the sims was all that you needed but now with current tech and scenery not well optimized those numbers arent smooth anymore and incure lots of stutters at least within the msfs sim. The point that im making is everyone has different PC's and will want options for when they use this application. For me I have a monster PC but still look for the smoothest operation possible while still having great graphics. I have the luxury to still run this app with 20 live and 30% parking at iniKLAX while still receiving 70-80fps on High settings. Im also a content creator and doing much more on the same PC so I try my best to make sure everything is as smooth as it can be. The aircraft popping isnt that big of a deal with the higher plane count for live traffic but for those that cant run higher numbers it may ruin their immersion but i dont know. Once again just relaying somethings I found while messing with the application.

11 hours ago, kiek said:

Aircraft popping up and aircraft disappearing, in particular when you are taxiing is due to the algorithm trying to show you only the 70 procent of the max live number that are closest to you. I could change that to a random set (only a new aircraft pops up if another one has disappeared from your lateral range). That would give a much  more stable sight, but then you might miss the guy in front of you taking off. Although, you probably will not know that you miss him?

Haveing random set could be good at the ground, but certainly not in the air. Then you would miss the "trains" lining up for landing

Btw. This Max live limiter is certainly not meant to be used to get your FPS at 120... It is a means to reach say 35 FPS, which is good flyable in a Flight Simulator. This is not a shooting game.

I am not seeing the popping so I am guessing his settings may be different, but I am def not aiming for 120FPS, i actually have my sim locked externally to 80 (Half of my monitors refresh rate).

Edited by kiek

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64GB DDR4 3866Mhz - 7900XT OC 20GB