Sign in to follow this  
zlThomaslz

Cap on Max Live Planes

Greetings! I have a suggestion of enabling an option to set a cap on the maximum planes that will be loaded in the sim. For example, right now at Chicago, its rush hour, and even with airport parking set at 0, there's still 52 live planes. This TANKS performance in the sim. If there was a way to just say, "No matter what the situation, a maximum of only 25 planes will be displayed", this would be beneficial. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64GB DDR4 3866Mhz - 7900XT OC 20GB

Hello! I do second this feature! I think if we could have something that tells the injection I only want (x) amount of live planes injected would be huge! I think the having the percentage of planes for statics is great however something needs to be done for the amount of live traffic. When rush hours hit at bigger airports the sim becomes unplayable as fps tanks with over 50 live planes! Even with putting that percentage to 0 for static ratio still tanks. Right now in non busy times at big airports it’s ok and flyable but during those big hours of the day forget it! I have a really solid PC as well so I know others are struggling with this. If we had something like FSLTL where it allows you to choose the amount of injection for live and then the number of static that would be amazing. Just my recommended option I really hope we get in an update! 

Thanks and GREAT work!

SWA VA - Ryzen 9 7950X3D , Zotac 4090 , 64gb DDR5 ram , ROG Strix Asus MB.

Hi guys,

You can limit the number of live aircraft with the Traffic injection range parameter in the UI, set it to 8nm when you are at Chicago airport or use the auto function.

The number of static parked can be controlled with the airport parking percentage parameter

BTW 50 live planes should be good flyable, if you are still have fps problems it is better to reduce your MSFS parameters. I fly at Heathrow with 150 live planes.

EDIT: use fps friendly AI aircraft; AIG is strongly recommended

Edited by kiek

50+ live works great on my system. What traffic models or system specs are you guys using that it is hitting that hard?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Dave, my specs are in my signature. I am using JustFlight and FSLTL models. I haven't tried AIG so i guess i could do that. do xCSL models work with the program as well?

The FSLTL liveries do use a huge amount of vram compared to AIG and also the FS Traffic variants so that may play a large role. 

I'm not sure about xCSL models as I don't know what they are.

Maybe it's just on my mobile device but signatures aren't displayed.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Even reducing the NM range doesn’t allow you to choose or set how many planes inject in. Sure it limits it to an extent of how far planes load in but still with scenery for an airport and it being rush hour even with the AIG models it seems that it’s a small increase in performance but with frame gen and on the ground and 55moving planes we are talking around 30fps WITH frame gen. When on the ground and there’s 30ish planes it isn’t so bad with around 50 but once I get past that 50 mark on the ground it’s brutal unless I love stutters. The models make a difference to a degree as performance hasn’t changed that much with maybe a range of 5-8fps. Obviously once off the ground it’s not a big deal with how many planes load for me as i don’t see any performance issues at that point.

So my specs are:

Ryzen 9 7950x3D 

RTX 4090

64gb DDR5 Ram

Rog Strix MB 

1 hour ago, CptRocSavage said:

Even reducing the NM range doesn’t allow you to choose or set how many planes inject in. Sure it limits it to an extent of how far planes load in but still with scenery for an airport and it being rush hour even with the AIG models it seems that it’s a small increase in performance but with frame gen and on the ground and 55moving planes we are talking around 30fps WITH frame gen. When on the ground and there’s 30ish planes it isn’t so bad with around 50 but once I get past that 50 mark on the ground it’s brutal unless I love stutters. The models make a difference to a degree as performance hasn’t changed that much with maybe a range of 5-8fps. Obviously once off the ground it’s not a big deal with how many planes load for me as i don’t see any performance issues at that point.

So my specs are:

Ryzen 9 7950x3D 

RTX 4090

64gb DDR5 Ram

Rog Strix MB 

Well if you set it to 2nm it will certainly help 😉 

If I would let you specify a number, it would lead to the same solution, PSXT will then remove the ones that are furthest away.

If 2nm does not help you definitely have to reduce your MSFS parameters.

Edited by kiek

In FSX I was using ( I know I was not supposed to) FSUIPC aircraft limit (not there in FSUIPC7 for msfs) in conjunction with the range in PSX
It started limiting number of aircraft from the outside
I was setting at 45 in FSUIPC and so if I was on a super busy airport I only saw very close by traffic but anywhere else it will gradually range out to my maximum set of 40 miles
I guess the idea of dynamic limiter is what we are after
It allows for lower quality PCs to still doing very well in busy places and then opens up the range outside of super busy airports
mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

4 hours ago, CptRocSavage said:

So my specs are:

Ryzen 9 7950x3D 

RTX 4090

64gb DDR5 Ram

Rog Strix MB 

I’m surprised you’re getting that low of FPS. I have the 14700k and 4090, so fairly similar specs. At NYC airports I usually go down to 20NM injection range and average around 26 FPS(FG 52) and at ORD do the same and still average around 25 FPS(50FG). This is with the PMDG 737 or the FBW320. I use only AIG models, I noticed that they’re less FPS intensive than FSTL and they match all the traffic almost perfectly. Just my 2 cents. 

On 1/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, Dave_YVR said:

The FSLTL liveries do use a huge amount of vram compared to AIG and also the FS Traffic variants so that may play a large role. 

I'm not sure about xCSL models as I don't know what they are.

Maybe it's just on my mobile device but signatures aren't displayed.

5800X3D, 64GB DDR4, 7900XT are my specs Dave. :)  

I will try to use AIG and report my findings. :D

• Like 1

My parameters in MSFS are set to High. Its a shame because I love that this application remembers real gate locations. I just dont think after multiple test that I'll be able to continue using this with its current state. Lowering NM doesnt fix the issue at KLAX when theres 60 planes loading in without being able to limit it. Yes, lowering the nm to 2 doesnt allow planes to load past that however on the ground if its super busy its just bad. I do have only AIG models in and it didnt seem to do much performance increase. Finals are almost unflyable in its current state.

There must be something wrong with your MSFS setup, or your AI aircraft, or your KLAX airport addon, or other apps that use SimConnect,  or ?, because with just ground traffic KLAX should not be a problem.

I know quite a lot of users, including me, that fly there without problems with larger lateral ranges....

Edited by kiek

At KORD sometimes i have 100+ live AI with 20nm radius

dynamic limiting the number of aircraft could be very difficult to do since FSUIPC is not offering it anymore.
For computers that are not so powerful it would be an excellent solution.
I want to be able to see those 3 or 5 aircraft at full range outside of busy places so when I’m on the ground I still want to see contrails of far flying jets, but when I get to the very busy place and my moderate computer starts stuttering and cannot handle much more than 50 I wish I could get automatic reduction.
I do realize that many of you have great computers and don’t have to deal with it but some of us still are on the budget…

mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.