Sign in to follow this  
Micky1969

New To AAO And MSFS and Streamdeck

Hi, this is my first post so please bare with me…

I’m an X-Plane 11 user who really liked the user interface and graphics of MSFS so I changed over a month ago and felt like trying the Streamdeck XL with AAO and this is where I can 100% say my trouble started I stupidly thought that installing the above mentioned add-onns was straightforward, hmmm how wrong was I.

Firstly what language is the PDF for ‘webapi fixes” wrote in?, I can’t make head nor tale of it. I’m a lift engineer by trade and have been for some 40 years and know this job inside out and in theory I could write you an instruction list on how to install an elevator of course you would be able to follow my directions but it would run terribly as you don’t have the experience and I feel the same applies here. Im NOT a software engineer so feel more simplified installation instructions is a must for people like me. The YT videos are just as confusing as even in a series of videos marked from 1-8 they seem to overlook the fact that there is something on there SD already like the MSFS icon (can’t find this anywhere)I  I have downloaded the prepared bundles from flight.to and have the icons on my SD but no luck. 

Here are my issues, on the SD AAO pluggin the connected icon shows not connected (light up)

WebApi is set at 44380 I change that and the top row of text turns red but you can no longer click on the red text

I’m at a loss and on the verge of returning the SD XL and cutting my losses with regards to the AAO, it’s a shame as it looks amazing!, I’ve watched all the necessary videos.

Lastly with regards to installation of these things, my skill set is as follows I can copy and paste my email and slow the mouse cursor down in the settings of windows and never signed up for have an advanced computer software course! Just like you never signed up to be a lift engineer but you are expected to be one, it’s not fare. I purchased this expecting there to be a few issues just never thought I would have to learn a whole new trade to try and get it working. Writing the instructions for people who understand puts the less advanced at a disadvantage we are not all “lift engineers or software engineers”.

Michael

• Upvote 1

OK, so this is the short version:

1. Install the Elgato StreamDeck software
2. Download the AxisAndOhs StreamDeck plugin from the axisandohs dot com website. Pull it out of the zip file, then doubleclick to install it
3. Download a profile from flightsim.to for your aircraft. Install it by doubleclicking it. If it comes in a zip, pull it out first, do not doubleclick stuff inside a ZIP.
4. Install AxisAndOhs itself.
5. Make sure that AxisAndOhs is run with the "Run as Administrator" option that you have for every Windows app.

That's it.

If this doesn't work, then something on your PC is preventing the connection between the StreamDeck and AAO. This connection uses network technology, that is why the "WebAPI Troubleshooting Guide" PDF goes through the most likely causes for IP connection trouble. But the issue is really on your computer, nobody can tell you what it is, and yes, resolving IP trouble is complicated. To remain with your analogy, that is the same as the electronic control board of your elevator developing a glitch in the circuitry. IMO, no amount of instructions, explanations or videos will make a complex matter any easier. The troubleshooting guide is as low bar as it can be, believe it or not.

This is exactly the reason why the product description in the shop(s) says that you should try the DEMO version of AAO before purchase. To make sure that it works for you, on your hardware, so you don't buy into the wrong app. 

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Hi, okay I’ll try the stuff you have listed but I think I have done some of this already, even with the bar low it’s still complex for someone who is not computer savvy. Im okay with my limitations and have overcome worse than this in my career. I know a guy who loves this sort of thing so I could get him around but paying more money really goes against the grain or just return it (SD) and put it down to experience and live to fight another day, the €18 price tag makes it a little easier as well.

thanks for the reply.

8 hours ago, Micky1969 said:

or just return it (SD)

There are (I think) 5 different apps out there that "connect" the StreamDeck to MSFS, payware and freeware. They all use different technological approaches, so there is a good chance that one of them will work for you. Just be mindful that they all have their own StreamDeck profiles for the actual aircraft, and that those profile are not interchangeable between apps (=a profile that was made for AAO will not work with any of the other apps).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

8 hours ago, Micky1969 said:

€18 price tag

AxisAndOhs does A LOT more than handling the StreamDeck. In fact, the SD plugin is just a demo app that I made, that demonstrates how to use the AAO WebAPI. SD is not the main purpose of AAO, not by a long shot. The popularity of the SD feature was unintentional, it was actually made popular by the many excellent StreamDeck profiles that other simmers are creating for it and who share them with the community.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I just thought of two other important bits

6. The StreamDeck will only come alive when AAO is connected to MSFS and you are sitting in the cockpit - not before.
7. Make sure that you are sitting in the aircraft that the SD profile has been made for. Profiles are not interchangable between aircraft

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hey, well if anything I can take away from this is your fantastic customer support I wish there was more companies/ people out there that reached out and genuinely trying to sort it out just awesome!, thank you so much dude! Can you recommend another piece of hardware?, I’m not going to get it but I’m always on the look out, I’ll follow up with your suggestions when I’m back in front of my PC, once again thank you so very much for reaching out to me. I will also add that its not the software’s shortcomings its mine so no harm done.

Michael

If you still have money in the bank, also get a Streamdeck+ and install the following profiles https://flightsim.to/profile/Guenseli. That is a great combo

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

I've sent it back now I just couldn't get it working but opted to give the X Touch Mini a try and see how I get on with that. I'm into flying the bid commercial jets so hopefully this will help with the different twist knobs it has on it.

Thanks though 👍

Posted (edited)
On 1/27/2024 at 8:29 PM, Micky1969 said:

Hi, this is my first post so please bare with me…

I’m an X-Plane 11 user who really liked the user interface and graphics of MSFS so I changed over a month ago and felt like trying the Streamdeck XL with AAO and this is where I can 100% say my trouble started I stupidly thought that installing the above mentioned add-onns was straightforward, hmmm how wrong was I.

Firstly what language is the PDF for ‘webapi fixes” wrote in?, I can’t make head nor tale of it. I’m a lift engineer by trade and have been for some 40 years and know this job inside out and in theory I could write you an instruction list on how to install an elevator of course you would be able to follow my directions but it would run terribly as you don’t have the experience and I feel the same applies here. Im NOT a software engineer so feel more simplified installation instructions is a must for people like me. The YT videos are just as confusing as even in a series of videos marked from 1-8 they seem to overlook the fact that there is something on there SD already like the MSFS icon (can’t find this anywhere)I  I have downloaded the prepared bundles from flight.to and have the icons on my SD but no luck. 

Here are my issues, on the SD AAO pluggin the connected icon shows not connected (light up)

WebApi is set at 44380 I change that and the top row of text turns red but you can no longer click on the red text

I’m at a loss and on the verge of returning the SD XL and cutting my losses with regards to the AAO, it’s a shame as it looks amazing!, I’ve watched all the necessary videos.

Lastly with regards to installation of these things, my skill set is as follows I can copy and paste my email and slow the mouse cursor down in the settings of windows and never signed up for have an advanced computer software course! Just like you never signed up to be a lift engineer but you are expected to be one, it’s not fare. I purchased this expecting there to be a few issues just never thought I would have to learn a whole new trade to try and get it working. Writing the instructions for people who understand puts the less advanced at a disadvantage we are not all “lift engineers or software engineers”.

Michael

Have to agree with this sentiment.

Great app and I rely on it for many things.

But because the only Manual reads like an engineering blueprint I have to rely purely on other people's profiles.

I have no idea how to customise or create profiles for new aircraft. Shame really.

Here's a typical example:

FROM THE MANUAL -------

C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Elgato\StreamDeck\Plugins\com.lorbysi.aao.sdPl
ugin\settings.js
The file can be edited with a simple text editor:
const AAO_URL = "http://localhost:9080/webapi";
const REFRESH_MS = 100;
const REPEAT_MS = 250;
const LONG_CLICK_MS = 750;

If you are experiencing performance problems with the Elgato app or the
StreamDeck, you can slow down the refresh rate of the plugin with the second
parameter “REFRESH_MS”.
- A value of 1000 equals one refresh every full second.
- Don’t go below 100 (refresh happens 10 times a second)
You can also change the speed at which a button that is being held down
repeats the associated action (250ms = 4 times per second) or when the “long
click” option kicks in (750ms by default) ...

END ------------

Now... there is no elaboration here: what, for example, are the practical implications of these refresh rate settings ?

I'm getting a lag with the SD+ dials. So... do I increase or decrease refresh rates ?

And the rest of the manual is the same.

Edited by Gabe777

Posted (edited)

Please take note of the red text on the downloads page of the AxisAndOhs website. The StreamDeck plugin is a free hobby project, it is not part of the AAO retail package. The only purpose for the plugin was to demonstrate how to use the AAO WebAPI, it was never meant to become a major feature. 

To make your own Actions for it, you need to know the basics of the MSFS SDK, RPN programming and ideally a bit of graphics design. No manual or documentation can teach this in such a way that it is easy to do. It requires time and dedication, which is why most people rely on the SD profiles that talented authors provide. "Lorby" =me doesn't provide any profiles - I only provide the hammer, I don't build the house.
The Plugin started out as nothing more than the aforementioned demo. Over time, features and items have been added at the request of the authors who were making StreamDeck profiles. There are things in there where I myself don't know how they are used. I don't need to, I only need to know the mechanics.

The parameter that you mention determines how often the data on the SD is refreshed. That's all. Set it to 1000 and the SD will only refresh once every second. So if you feel that the SD plugin is being clogged up by too much data, make the refresh time bigger. The parameter has no other practic al implication than making the SD faster or slower, and I doubt that this has anything to do with your problem. You can only try and observe. 

There is no way to tell what could be causing your troubles, sorry. The problem doesn't even have to be related to the SD or the plugin (or too many of them operating at the same time?), it could be a SimConnect issue, a problem in the sim or something in AAO. There are infinite possibilities, depending on what has been assigned to which action doing what exactly in AAO and/or the sim....etc...

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI