Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

Kuro 787 & Horizon 787 - cockpit functionality?!

Hope you good people don't mind my raising this here, as it seems some persons in the MSFS forums just aren't comprehending the issue.

I recently got into the Kuro 787. And for the most part, really enjoy it. I believe it has great potential. (I am a seasoned PMDG pilot having flown all their commercial jets competently since FSX/P3D days and enjoy the Fenix A320 also).

The issue with the Kuro, Horizon and Working Title/MS/Asobo 787 is this:

Currently, on the B787 EFIS several of the dials can be manipulated by your mouse to turn either clockwise or anti-clockwise and provides an animated arrow signifying which direction you are engaging. This is extremely helpful/efficient and speedy, as I can left click and hold my mouse button to "speed up" the rotation of the dial to the desired setting in either direction. PMDG and other 3rd party devs already have this imperative feature incorporated into the MCP/EFIS and other dials on their respective aircraft.

However, on the 787 MCP, the only dial that allows this is the Speed Bug dial. The Heading and Altitude bugs are largely incapable, which is extremely inconvenient. So at present, you can only engage either of those dials with the quick arrow in an anti-clockwise direction. Otherwise, it's mouse wheel scroll for clockwise which can be painfully slow and inefficient. To add insult, you "may" be able to locate an infinitesimal clockwise arrow on the heading dial, but you have to change your physical position in the cockpit in an attempt to find it if you ever find it at all?!  So good luck finding it, and goodbye to immersion/convenience.

Firstly, I did raise this issue with devs at Horizon on Discord (Toby C) who responded - “we can’t edit cockpit click spots, arrows, etc etc".

Then I attempted to raise this at MSFS forums to see if they could provide any of the 3rd party devs with the appropriate permissions etc to address this issue.......well, I say no more. (see below link)

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/boeing-787-all-variants-mcp-dials-ie-heading-altitude-require-further-refinement/628073

From a programming perspective, half of the work in the B787 has already been completed/incorporated as some dials have this full functionality whilst the Heading and Altitude dials currently have half the functionality and yet they are critical in their importance and use. It is not difficult or overly time consuming to add this feature to the dials.

From an immersion perspective, the leading devs comprehend the importance.

Asobo/MS..........well, they're not comprehending it.

edit: it would seem now, that the dude giving me attitude in MSFS has removed his posts from mine.......LOL!

I may put some screenies up of the conversation here......bet he didn't plan on that?

Edited by XCLTM3
additional info

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Hello, reading your post and it is just an idea, use external hardware at least to control MCP/EFIS - maybe for COM if needed - with physical knobs and rotaries. In meantime there are a lot of panels available, you can assign whatever you want for every A/C with Spad or AAO or GFIT (Goflight). It's a little bit of work but very comfortable and I'm using lot's of GoFlight modules since FSX for all kind of A/C's. And it is working... btw the B78x EFIS is - let's say a little bit unfinished at all. But not a problem to operate the plane according to the CHKL. Logitech (Saitek) or other companies have some equipment and from time to time there are panels on ebay or other sales portales, eg GoFlight GF-RP-48 with 4 rotaries and 8 pushbuttons, which can be assigned to use as MCP. Just an idea. Best regards Ralf

Edited by cseu
typo

Ralf Andreas

You can't compare with PMDG. The 737 has not combined push/rotary knobs, which the 787 has. Therefore the useable clickspots on the 737 also include the cover of the knob, which on the 787 is used to push the knob. Therefore the remaining surface, that can you can use to click, becomes very small, especially when looking from the captain's seat.

There is nothing any dev can do about it.

I would switch from Legacy interaction system to the Lock system, which allows to select the knob and keep the left mouse key pressed while moving to the left (quickly decrease the value) or right (quickly increase the value). That way the entire screen width becomes the scale for your adjustments.

Edited by fsiscool
  • Upvote 1

Surprisingly to me, and contrary to what's being said in the previous posts, 've found the handling of the heading and altitude buttons quite easy here.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

8 hours ago, fsiscool said:

You can't compare with PMDG. The 737 has not combined push/rotary knobs, which the 787 has. Therefore the useable clickspots on the 737 also include the cover of the knob, which on the 787 is used to push the knob. Therefore the remaining surface, that can you can use to click, becomes very small, especially when looking from the captain's seat.

There is nothing any dev can do about it.

I would switch from Legacy interaction system to the Lock system, which allows to select the knob and keep the left mouse key pressed while moving to the left (quickly decrease the value) or right (quickly increase the value). That way the entire screen width becomes the scale for your adjustments.

I understand what you mean. I did look at the Lock mechanism but couldn't for the life of me get it to work. And since I don't have to use it for my other aircraft already mentioned.....

But are you saying that from the captains perspective (left side of these dials), it is not possible in that entire real estate (complete left side of dials) to manoeuvre the mouse and manipulate between 2 arrows, one indicating clockwise and the other counter?

eg - the whole 180 degree arc of the left side of the dials. The top arc 90 degrees would be for clockwise - the lower arc 90 degrees for counter clockwise. The specific arrow indicators appear inside each 90 degree arc.

Edited by XCLTM3
correction spelling

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

7 hours ago, edpatino said:

Surprisingly to me, and contrary to what's being said in the previous posts, 've found the handling of the heading and altitude buttons quite easy here.

Please let me know what you are doing.......

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

1 hour ago, XCLTM3 said:

Please let me know what you are doing.......

Simply using my mouse, the scroll wheel

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Simply using my mouse, the scroll wheel

LOL !

I thought there was going to be a magical workaround.......

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

21 minutes ago, XCLTM3 said:

LOL !

I thought there was going to be a magical workaround.......

The only button I have some trouble with is the one to set the BARO minimum. Have to try more, but it gets too slow for me. The rest is Ok.

Cheers, Ed

14 hours ago, XCLTM3 said:

I did look at the Lock mechanism but couldn't for the life of me get it to work.

Watch this little video. LOCK is the superior method to operate MSFS 2020. Also for all the other aircraft.

MCPDemo.mp4

Look at the HDG selector to understand the issue. Close to the panel, you manipulate the bank angle selection. In the center of the knob, there is the SEL button. With the Legacy interaction method, that leaves only a small space for the HDG rotation. Especially when looking from one side, the clickspot at the other side is only the tiny frame beside the SEL button. The PMDG 737 is only different because there is no SEL button. Their 777 will not be different in that regard. I recommend the LOCK method, learning it is still much easier than operating a 787.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fsiscool said:

Watch this little video. LOCK is the superior method to operate MSFS 2020. Also for all the other aircraft.

MCPDemo.mp4

Look at the HDG selector to understand the issue. Close to the panel, you manipulate the bank angle selection. In the center of the knob, there is the SEL button. With the Legacy interaction method, that leaves only a small space for the HDG rotation. Especially when looking from one side, the clickspot at the other side is only the tiny frame beside the SEL button. The PMDG 737 is only different because there is no SEL button. Their 777 will not be different in that regard. I recommend the LOCK method, learning it is still much easier than operating a 787.

Appreciate the video and your suggestions, many thanks.

I'll definitely give it a try again and see how it goes.

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers