Sign in to follow this  
Seahawk72s

X-Plane 12 graphics settings

I am hoping someone who has a GTX4090 will share their X-Plane12 graphics settings as I have fuzzy textures in the cockpit.

I have read the vnam discussions and tried multiple settings with no luck. The monitor is 1920 X 1080 and shows the exterior perfectly.

This is a new install with no add-ons and a couple of additional aircraft.

If your GTX4090 shows shows a sharp cockpit I would be very great-full to know how you are setup.

Thanks..

Hi,

I can't paste my screenshot of my settings but a 4090 (like mine) with 1080p resolution is a total waste in the first place. This card is for 4k graphics, are you using a 4k monitor? If you are able to afford a 4090, for sure you may get a decent 4k monitor very cheap. In fact, imho, XP12 and MSFS are designed around 4k resolution.

Anyway, first check that your texture quality should be at maximum, you have 24gb of VRAM.

Don't use FSR supersampling, set to OFF.

You're AA setting could be at 2x MSAA, anything more would be a waste of resources until XP12 improves that in v12.10., this is what I use for 4k resolution.

And finally, set the anisotropic filtering at 16x.

That's for starters. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Alexander Colka

No luck with the settings, the cockpit and text are still a bit blurry.

The exterior and scenery are sharp as could be.

Hi, ok, that was also my situation with my previous 2K monitor, not so crisp inside cockpit textures.

For testing reasons then, I configured in the NV control panel a custom resolution up to 4K and used it with my 2K monitor and wow! crisp cockpit textures! The 4K graphics were like shrunk or compressed in the 2K monitor, that gave some sort of automatic AA, improving more the whole graphics quality, it is a very interesting experiment if you have the hardware capable of moving 4K graphics. Maybe you could try it with your 1080p monitor to see if your inside cockpit textures are crispier with that trick.

With 4K, your crisp textures issue will be gone.

Alexander Colka

On 2/4/2024 at 9:03 AM, Seahawk72s said:

I am hoping someone who has a GTX4090 will share their X-Plane12 graphics settings as I have fuzzy textures in the cockpit.

I have read the vnam discussions and tried multiple settings with no luck. The monitor is 1920 X 1080 and shows the exterior perfectly.

This is a new install with no add-ons and a couple of additional aircraft.

If your GTX4090 shows shows a sharp cockpit I would be very great-full to know how you are setup.

Thanks..

Unfortunately this is the way it is for now.  I guess it has to do with their AA rendering... but all of my cockpits (especially glass) are quite fuzzy unless one zooms way in.  I run a 4080 with 1440p 27" monitor.  I've tried all combination of AA settings (some sort of clear up the fuzziness in the cockpit, but then create lots of jaggies externally).

I don't believe getting a 4k monitor will totally solve the issue.  I do agree getting something nicer than 1080p, especially with a 4090, is almost a must.  Also, having a high end CPU will help with a high end GPU...  you don't want to have a 5 year old CPU with a 4090....they'll bottleneck each other.

I took a 1:1 pic just now - sliders are maxed right...  i saved it as a png for max quality.  It does seem a bit better now - so perhaps they worked on the fuzziness since the last few updates.  Again this is 1440p resolution.  Make sure you open the full image to view it.  See if it looks like your clarity/sharpness?

(This is a default view and zoom for the most part)

53510792357_87f7a08684_o.pngXP12aa by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

sGdhG0B.jpg

wRAaTkB.png

Hi Ryan, this is my cockpit view at 1440

Edited by onebob

12 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Unfortunately this is the way it is for now.  I guess it has to do with their AA rendering... but all of my cockpits (especially glass) are quite fuzzy unless one zooms way in.  I run a 4080 with 1440p 27" monitor.  I've tried all combination of AA settings (some sort of clear up the fuzziness in the cockpit, but then create lots of jaggies externally).

I don't believe getting a 4k monitor will totally solve the issue.  I do agree getting something nicer than 1080p, especially with a 4090, is almost a must.  Also, having a high end CPU will help with a high end GPU...  you don't want to have a 5 year old CPU with a 4090....they'll bottleneck each other.

I took a 1:1 pic just now - sliders are maxed right...  i saved it as a png for max quality.  It does seem a bit better now - so perhaps they worked on the fuzziness since the last few updates.  Again this is 1440p resolution.  Make sure you open the full image to view it.  See if it looks like your clarity/sharpness?

(This is a default view and zoom for the most part)

53510792357_87f7a08684_o.pngXP12aa by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Many thanks.. I don't have to doubt my hardware now.

I tried changing the POV to 180* so I could zoom in (which will give me clarity) and still get the coverage I want.

But that still gives me blurry textures and makes reading instruments time consuming.

Its almost like in photography when your f-stop is wide open and the "depth of field" focus is limited.

@Seahawk72s I have a little script I gleaned from the forums somewhere that runs in FWL. It increases the sharpness just a tad when I am in cockpit. See if helps any on your side...

-- Set Post AA if in external view, turn off in cockpit for better display clarity.
    function Set_AA()
      if get("sim/graphics/view/view_is_external") == 1 then
        set("sim/private/controls/hdr/use_post_aa",1)
      else
        set("sim/private/controls/hdr/use_post_aa",0)
      end
    end
    do_sometimes("Set_AA()")

Hope this helps until things are improved graphically in the sim. v12.10 is where it starts...

Thanks for the help, Stll pretty much the same.

Is there a thread where this is being discussed or an open problem ticket..?