Hello all,

as my 3.5 year old PC suddenly displays a "cpu overheat" message although the watercooler seems to work ok ( all fans working / cpu-out water hose warmer than cpu-in hose ), I'm now taking a closer look into a possible significant upgrade.

My current system consists of an i9 10900kf / RTX 3080 / 32GB DDR3200 RAM.

I'm flying primarily on prepar3d v4.5 and v5.4, but I'm considering to do the sidestep to MSFS.

Anyway, I fly exclusively in VR, using a Valve Index and do also consider an upgrade to a high resolution headset ( such as a Varjo Aero ).

For this purpuse, I require a high end system, as I fly with PMDG Aircraft, Active sky and in high density areas such as EGLL.

I'd like to switch from Intel to AMD, but like to stick to nvidia GPU.

My questions:

1.) What CPU should I aim for?  7800x3d, 7900x3d or 7950x3d?

2.) What GPU is required for my purposes? RTX 4090? Or is a 4080(S) as well sufficient for a smooth VR-Experience ( primarily in p3d )?

3.) Any special requirements on RAM? 32GB sufficient? DDR6000 required? 

4.) Any special requirements on the mainboard?

5.) Any special requirements on the PSU? 1.000W sufficient?

6.) Operating system: WIN 10 or WIN 11?

As said: the system should be tailored to VR-utilization with highest possible resolution, clarity and smoothness in mind.

Thank you all very much in advance,

Best regards,

Toto

I'm just completing a new build as well - although mine is focused on triple 55" 4K TVs rather than VR, so can't offer much there sorry.  The one thing I will say is when I was researching components there was a lot of info around that stated the 7800x3d was ideal for running MSFS.  Like you I am jumping from P3D to MSFS but I was comfortable going with the 7800 rather than the 7900+ options. Hopefully some VR users can comment on the rest.

Good luck with the build!

Hey @Sonne, did you build it at the end?

I am in a pretty similar situation as you were, and trying to figure out if that crazy investment makes any sense 🙂 

Thanks!

On 2/19/2024 at 5:08 AM, crgarcia said:

Hey @Sonne, did you build it at the end?

I am in a pretty similar situation as you were, and trying to figure out if that crazy investment makes any sense 🙂 

Thanks!

I went with a 7950x3d, 4090, 48GB (7200) RAM and it is amazing. Fast, cool and quiet. Totally worth it. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Posted (edited)

I upgrade my three year old computer which was top notch when MSFS was released with an new X670e motherboard, AMD 7800X3D, 32 GB DDR5 6000mhz Ram, 1000W PSU and a RTX 4090, expensive...YES! but totally worth it, I'm in flightsim heaven now 😄

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |