Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Best AMD CPU for MSFS, yet most amenable to air cooling?

Have assembled my own PCs since Pentium days, always Intel.  I don't like what I read about heat/energy for Intel so have settled on AMD this time around.  Seems like most use water cooled systems these days but I've never done it, and quite frankly don't see the need unless cooling needs are extreme.  I care much more about power/temp than those few+ percent increase in performance one might get going for the reigning king.  The benchmark is MSFS, and we hear tell MSFS 2024 will come with substantial improvements in CPU performance thru better multithreading, so this argues against prioritizing performance for me.

I have read AMD is easier to cool and less power hungry which would go hand in hand.  I'm coming from 9900K at 4.9Ghz and see temps at MSFS load around 48C-67C.

So best performer amenable to air cooling:  7800X3D, 7900X, 7950X3D, Etc??

If none of these really are I will go water cooling and probably buy a prebuilt from Corsair or Digital Storm. 

Thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If MSFS and general gaming is all you're going to do, 7800X3D is as far as you need to go. Going any further is wasted money as you're entering development territory where those CPUs really flourish.

As for air cooling, that wholly depends on the kind of coolers you aim to buy as-well as the case you have. For example I have a Fractal North with Arctic P12/P14s in all places and for the CPU a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Under load using OCCT (worse than MSFS) I'm getting around 63c.

My advise is something like the Peerless Assassin 120 or the DeepCool Assassin IV as these air coolers trade blows with some water cooler AIOs. I didn't advise the BeQuiet cause the DeepCool and Assassins perform roughly the same if not better at a cheaper price

Hopefully that answers your questions 🙂

12 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

If MSFS and general gaming is all you're going to do, 7800X3D is as far as you need to go. Going any further is wasted money as you're entering development territory where those CPUs really flourish.

As for air cooling, that wholly depends on the kind of coolers you aim to buy as-well as the case you have. For example I have a Fractal North with Arctic P12/P14s in all places and for the CPU a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Under load using OCCT (worse than MSFS) I'm getting around 63c.

My advise is something like the Peerless Assassin 120 or the DeepCool Assassin IV as these air coolers trade blows with some water cooler AIOs. I didn't advise the BeQuiet cause the DeepCool and Assassins perform roughly the same if not better at a cheaper price

Hopefully that answers your questions 🙂

I probably will use the Phantex currently in use as I set it up for good air flow and also it has a large fan on the bottom front and that fan draws in air from my basement which is around 60F all the time.  I've always use Noctua and understand one of the models won't impair DIMM access.  Is there a compelling reason to use something different, one of your recommended coolers?  I'm must familiar w/ how Noctua works and they have never disappointed.

7800X3D sounds like your best recommendation--thanks!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Is there a compelling reason to use something different, one of your recommended coolers? 

No, if you’ve got a Noctua, no point getting something else.

• Like 1

I have 7800X3D with a Noctua D-15, works fine.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)

The Ryzen 7950X3D only has 120 watt of heat generation. Similar to the 105 watt Ryzen 7 3800X I had a year ago - the currently most beautyful air cooler out there, the DeepCool AK Digital series, can cool that with ease and in ultra silence. Silent as a grave!

This is the smaller AK500S Digital, I never had temperatures above 65°C with Prime95 and MX-4 thermal paste with this one. With a stronger Ryzen you should maybe go for the AK500 Digital (without the S, that cooler is bigger) or AK620 Digital. It is a very heavy cooler (over 1kg), you should get a support strut to protect the mainboard from bending over the months. Ideal mainboard protection from graphics card sagging and mainboard bending caused by oversized CPU coolers is important! I recommend this one from Amazon:

spacer.png

Support stylish aircoolers with display and buy AK Digital 😉 because why should only watercoolers always get the cool stuff and fancy OLED displays and more?

No need for water cooling a CPU, and with the perfect undervolting not only the CPU can reach awesome speeds without generating excessive heat but you can even play most games while the graphics card fans are not rotating below 50°C.

Edited by JetCat