Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Who is censoring FSX performance comment?

Guest Binncott

Who on earth has started locking topics on this subject. More importantly - WHY?A very interesting thread was posted yesterday showing performance related graphs from another review site.Went back today and it's locked. No reason given!If you're going to lock threads Avsim, then have the common decency to explain why you're doing so.This smacks of censorship.BC

Yeah i noticed that too...Ohh well, it's their board.

"Who on earth has started locking topics on this subject. More importantly - WHY?A very interesting thread was posted yesterday showing performance related graphs from another review site.Went back today and it's locked. No reason given!If you're going to lock threads Avsim, then have the common decency to explain why you're doing so.This smacks of censorship."Were you ever a forum moderator? I was. Lighten up!Your post is mild compared to some of the baloney I heard from members here. The straw that broke the camel's back was the person who threatened me personally. Probably some dweeb who would fall over if I slapped him--but he had his moment of joy. And I had had enough.Moderators owe you zero explanation when it comes to keeping this forum clean but most offer one WHEN THEY CAN. Why can't they all the time? It's 2:30AM, and a series of posts start hitting a thread that take it south. The only action the mod can do is delete the posts and lock the thread. And get back to bed, not worry about writing a nice and clean explanation to satisfy those who believe in the conspiracy of censorship.This is a private forum. The people that run it have a right to keep it clean. And a key player has been missing, so the mods are just trying to stay caught up. Please give them the benefit of the doubt. It's the least they deserve for offering up this space for us to discuss our hobby, even if sometimes our words and actions don't allow us to deserve such a privilege.-John

A very good reason may be breach of copyright. Unless you have permission you don't post anything here copied from another site. Providing a link to another site is OK: pirating its contents isn't. Had I been AVSIM, I'd have removed the whole post. As JohnCi says this is a private forum which costs users nothing and which is run by amateurs (in the original and best sense). They don't have to explain how they run the forum and can chose what's published on it. The latter is not censorship.

Guest Binncott

John,In answer to your question, yes I have been and am a forum moderator.I have never, repeat never, closed a topic, or deleted a topic, without having the good grace to give the reasons for the action.Now I don't recall ever suggesting that moderators owe me or any member anything, however when we've seen the recent poor posts with insults etc., it is disappointing that good manners now seem to have gone out the window also.Doesn't matter what time in the AM it is John, it takes 2 seconds to post;"Forum locked to prevent further abuse" or"Forum locked due to copyright issues"As it stands, we have a grey "moderator" locking topics without explanation, which will only fuel the conspiracy theorist's feeling that FSX performance comparisons are "verboten"BC

BC,I should have elaborated--I was moderator on these forums. And yes, it does matter what time it is--we're human, and sometimes it is better to lock a thread without comment than say what's on our mind. I envy you for having the lucidity at any hour of the day to always offer your members a one liner explanation of your actions. I suppose the perfect moderator can supply a response all the time, but if that's what members seek and if that's what you are, I suggest we start paying those that keep these forums running. For every one hundred critical posts we're lucky to see one post taking the time to thank them for what they do. As a mod you should understand that?-John

Guest allcott

>Who on earth has started locking topics on this subject. >More importantly - WHY?>>A very interesting thread was posted yesterday showing>performance related graphs from another review site.>>Went back today and it's locked. No reason given!>>If you're going to lock threads Avsim, then have the common>decency to explain why you're doing so.>>This smacks of censorship.>>BCLocked? Or moved to the appropriate forum? As indeed should this thread, as it is NOT FSX relevant.Common sense. It's not as common as it used to be, it seems.Allcott

Guest Stoopy

> For every one hundred critical posts we're lucky to see one post > taking the time to >thank them for what they do. As a mod you > should understand that?>> -JohnDarn fine point. Seems a fine time to take the opportunity to thank the mods here for their service. I've been a mod myself elsewhere for a while now and no doubt there are plenty more around here....no doubt one thing all will likely agree on is that some boards are more "self policing" than others, based on the outlook and general demographics of their membership. Also have been reading/lurking here for a number of years and have to say - Y'all AVSIM mods are doing a fine job given some of what you have to work with, lately.Cheers and keep the faith.

Guest FxF3

Yep this of topic threads that are just FSX bashing should be moved. Glad to see it maybe now we can get back on track with FSX and get real issues worked out.

I read your response earlier today, before moving this topic to the Hangar Chat forum, and thought to myself, naw, I won't respond. But, hours later, I can't restrain myself. Did you read the AVSIM Terms of Use BEFORE you agreed to them? If not, I strongly suggest you do:http://forums.avsim.net/toc.html"As it stands, we have a grey "moderator" locking topics without explanation, which will only fuel the conspiracy theorist's feeling that FSX performance comparisons are "verboten"EDIT: Guilty as charged; I am definitely grey (hair, that is).The AVSIM staff owes you nothing; an explanation, justification, apology.... Nada, zip, zero. I am happy to see that you are a moderator somewhere else and have the time to explain yourself, justify your actions, apologize for your actions, whatever. I don't have the time. Were I to explain every post that I locked, let alone those locked or deleted by another mod, I would be here 24 x 7. Sorry, this is my hobby, not my profession. EDIT: Furthermore, if members can't be bothered to follow the rules, obey common sensical "codes" of behavior, etc., then I can't be bothered to take the time to justify our actions.If you don't like the rules, or the "censorship", well, you know what they say about doors.

Guest baksteen33

Seconded, thanks Avsim. We have a very open forum and I'm positive the vast majority KNOWS for sure there is absolutely no ill intent behind any actions. Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Thanks for the compliments and postive feedback folks. We appreciate that, and most importantly, the benefit of the doubt that you have given us.

Guest Binncott

Nice attitude to have Tom. Customer relations really are your thing (that's a joke by the way)I'm sorry that you and some others took the view that I am bashing Avsim and/or FSX.Untrue fellas. I just wondered why that particular thread had been locked as I thought it interesting (if one ignored the FSX v FS9 posts)"which will only fuel the conspiracy theorist's feeling that FSX performance comparisons are "verboten""EDIT: Guilty as charged; I am definitely grey (hair, that is)."Your site, so if you don't care if folks think that way, your call.Right call? Time will tellBC

:-lol Forcing things out of context; ""EDIT: Guilty as charged; I am definitely grey (hair, that is)."Your site, so if you don't care if folks think that way, your call."Conspiracy theories about AVSIM have existed since day one of our existance. Whether I care about what folks think is irrelevant. They are going to think what they will. Need I say more?

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

It is my experience that AVSIM has been managed in the most efficient way. In fact, if indeed there was anything to the conspiracy theories then I would assume that instead of seeing your thread get locked, you would see it deleted and you would be banned. That... is how a bad board is run... here at AVSIM, everything is perfectly laid out and seems about as fair as it can be made in order to still maintain some common order throughout.... without it, this board would be full of 12 year old kids fighting about who's machine gets the best frame rate, along with all the swearing and name calling.Hats of to AVSIM staff... keep up the great work, this is why the masses enjoy this arena to the fullest!