Sign in to follow this  
hangar

Best Helicopter for VR?

Honestly, I haven't seen yet any chopper (or aircraft) that doesn't work well in VR. What kind of possible issues do you have in mind ? Any examples ?

Wel it's been awhile since I tried to use msfs in VR...and venturing into a chopper will be very new for me since I typically fly aeroplanes...but I just think it would be fun to try...

So... I think what's important in VR for a chopper would be the readability and clarity of the panel instruments and also that everything you'd need to get to in the vc would actually be do-able in VR...most of the aircraft were not made with VR in mind and so reading the gauges is typically a poor experience in VR...I also remember that getting to certain 2d panels in the sim can be difficult or not even possible sometimes...so I guess I'm curious in this last year or so if any choppers have been designed yet with VR in mind?

Ah ok, I see what you mean. 

Well, I'm not sure there's any chopper or aircraft that is specifically designed with VR in mind in MSFS. However, the good news is that most of the ones I tried can be used in VR without any issues. (I use a Pico4).

I have to warn you of two important things though. First, flying helicopters in VR is seriously fun and addictive. But maybe you already fly some choppers in other sims so you might know that already. Second point is that helicopters could lake you seriously motion-sick in VR of your not good enough at controlling them.

So to start with choppers in MSFS, I would recommend you the freeware h135. It's beautiful enough (not the top of graphics but good anyways), easy to control, and you can fully start it from cold&dark in VR. And it's free 😄

Helicopters in VR are much better, the situational awareness helps enormously. I use the Flysimware B-206. Without VR, I have a real hard time controlling it, but with VR it is a joy to fly.

Peter

• Upvote 1

I used to use the Samsung Odyssey for VR which is fairly low resolution.  I preferred the Cabri G2; I think that because it is smaller, you are a bit closer to the instruments.  I also map the instrument view to an easily accessible button.  In VR, this simulates moving your head closer to the instrument in the centre of your view whilst the button is held down.  I certainly would not dream of flying a helicopter without VR; pan the view around and all your directions are muddled.  With the improved clarity of the Quest 3, the Bell 407 instruments are a lot clearer.

Thanks for chiming in guys - I'll be checking em all I suppose...I'm even considering to try Aerofly FS4 since I can fly it and control everything in cockpit while only needing to use the VR hand controllers.

Ah, good remark. I forgot to say that I exclusively use the mouse to interact with the virtual cockpit in MSFS. I never use the VR controllers because that would require me to release my controls (TCA yoke and quadrant), grab the controller, use it, put it back, and grab the normal controls again. This would be a mess. Then I just use the mouse, which sits right next to the throttles. Easy to find without looking, easy to grab, easy to use, easy to come back to the throttles. 

The thing is, the Pico4 has some hand tracking implemented, but only for its "standalone" games. Their hand tracking doesn't work for PCVR 😕

Edited by Daube

@Daube Yep I think your way with the mouse is how we all pretty much fly in sims that weren't designed around VR from the start...it's the best you can do really. That's why it's fun sometimes to mess around in the sims that were more specifically designed for VR, such as Aerofly and VTOL VR...It's typically a little flaky getting used to how the physical "holding" of the in- cockpit control yokes work while grabbing, touching and manipulating everyting with just your hand controllers but it's also a VERY freeing feeling, and kind of a hoot really!

At least it is in VTOL (which I've flown in for awhile now)...really can't speak about Aerofly since I dont own it yet.

I may be buying Aerofly today to try it out 🙂