Sign in to follow this  
skip d

Black screen

Today after opening P3Dv5.4 I noticed I was only getting 22-29 FPS.....and in the past 55-75 FPS.

I checked in-game setting and find I've got it set for 'unlimited'

So I shut it down and went to my desktop and opened ;NVIDEA Control Panel....and set the speed there to 30FPS.

This combination seems the best for my rig...I9 10900K;2080Ti.,...I've had no trouble till now.

Opening up the Sim....I get all the screens...and the progress bar starts...but the I just get a black screen

and I can hear my /com Radio issuing the weather !!!

This has happened several times before when I;ve added new pay airports...or planes,,,I get the sane issue.

The only way I've found to correct it....is by opening the Root...and hitting the 'Delete Generated Files'

That lets me back in....but wth NONE of the previous settings and ket assignments go to default.

I'ts a pain to get everything set back up.

Anybody got any ideas....I'm stumped !!!

Skip d

Are you attempting to run this in VR?

I'm asking because I recently noticed that if I have my Vive Pro 2 powered up with the Vive software loaded BEFORE I run P3D V5, I get a black screen.

if, on the other hand, I run P3D V5 first with the headset off (desktop mode), the sim loads fine. If I THEN power up the headset with the Vive software, the sim keeps running in desktop mode. I can then enable VR in the menu and the sim will switch over to VR mode.

P.S. I don't have to go through all this with P3D v6.

Thanks for the info.....I thought no one was going to respond....seems like I'm the only one with this prob.

i don't use VR....my eyes are sooooo bad....i have a hard time focusing.

I've got some screenies of the problem...and I'll get them loaded soon !

Skip d

On 3/10/2024 at 8:50 AM, skip d said:

Today after opening P3Dv5.4 I noticed I was only getting 22-29 FPS.....and in the past 55-75 FPS.

I checked in-game setting and find I've got it set for 'unlimited'

So I shut it down and went to my desktop and opened ;NVIDEA Control Panel....and set the speed there to 30FPS.

This combination seems the best for my rig...I9 10900K;2080Ti.,...I've had no trouble till now.

Opening up the Sim....I get all the screens...and the progress bar starts...but the I just get a black screen

and I can hear my /com Radio issuing the weather !!!

This has happened several times before when I;ve added new pay airports...or planes,,,I get the sane issue.

The only way I've found to correct it....is by opening the Root...and hitting the 'Delete Generated Files'

That lets me back in....but wth NONE of the previous settings and ket assignments go to default.

I'ts a pain to get everything set back up.

Anybody got any ideas....I'm stumped !!!

Skip d

Ok, don't use "delete generated files" that is overkill and a pain, as you have found out.

Instead (as a start) just rename/move/ "Prepar3D.cfg" found in C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 and then restart P3D.

P3D will generate a new one and hopefully will work correctly, all you will have to do is setup your desired graphic/sound/weather settings and a few others, but not many.

Assuming all is fine,make a backup of your new "Prepar3D.cfg"  then if/when the problem re-appears you can compare the original with the now problematic one.

If the above doesn't fix anything then obviously it's deeper and we can explore from there.

For example, disable half of all addons, see if problem gone, if not, disable half of remaining addons, see if problem gone and so on.........

On 3/10/2024 at 8:50 AM, skip d said:

That is the nuclear option and considered last resort. It wipes out your scenery.cfg of any 3rd party airports. All your settings in prepar3d.cfg are also erased. Less damaging options should be tried first.

Any progress since yesterday?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Guys.....

What I did(and I hope this is right) was to make a copy of my GOOD working P3dv5.cfg and placed it on another drive where it will be safe.

Then I opened the sim,and had to reset most of the settings to where they were optimal for me. I'll use this until I 'blow-up' the sim again for whatever reason it is causing. Now....to get it back again to where it was previous to the 'black' sceen....do I just replace the current .cfg file ....with the 'saved' copy ???....and then find the "culprit" later ???    I hope I got this straight !!!    Like Holmes to Watson "Simplicity" !!!

If I might pick your brain for one more thing?????......whenever I change views..Spot-to-outside/or vice versa...in order to get any keys to work....I must 'left' click the mouse first....this is something new within the last month. Any ideas ???

Thanks for all the help !!!

Skip