Sign in to follow this  
flyinmaninmn

AFCAD

Hi there-

Im working on different airports with the afcad program and wondering how I can move the map around. The map seems to stay centered in. You can't seem

to move anything. Does anybody know why this and maybe how I can fix this so I can work on airports? I also wanted to know when you put parking spots at airports

the greencircle...how can i turn it around? It always seems to not want to rotate. Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

For me, I can "move the map around" using the arrow keys on my keyboard and zoom in and out with the + and - (plus and minus) keys on the numeric keypad (I've got a full-size keyboard, it may be different on a laptop)

For the "greencircle", right-click on it, choose properties and then change the heading 😉

AFCAD is a perfectly serviceable program, but it does have it's limitations.

If you're doing a lot of airport editing, you might care to consider ADE (Airport Design Editor) Downloads - ScruffyDuck Software or, my favourite, SceneGenX FS2004 Scenery Generator X - Misc. - FlightSim.Com

Enjoy 🙂

Ok, thank you, that worked. Now, I am wondering how to move the green circles. I want to add more gates but everytime I try to move a circle thats already there, if I try moving it, it just creates another green circle. Som any help on moving the circles would be great help.

You'll only create a new green circle (or anything else) if you select that option on the toolbar.

If you select the pointer you can click-&-hold on any item then drag it to wherever you want it  ... I'm sure all this is covered in the Help file 😉

If you are unsure about how the far simpler (compared to ADE) Afcad program works and what all it's functions are, you can always copy/paste the original Afcad into the same (scenery) folder. The result will be a full Afcad file but with the extension ".bgl-copy" and which in so doing, will effectively become a backup of the original. After doing that you can experiment as much as you like via your Afcad program but if something does actually go wrong you can always delete the Afcad.bgl file you are/were working on and rename your "Afcad.bgl-copy" version back to it's original "Afcad.bgl". You can then repeat the same procedure from the beginning.

The Afcad program is very simple to use via all of it's select/drag/drop/delete/edit/rotate and add possibilities but I agree with chris_eve that you should initially go through the instructions to at least be able to perform some of the basics and to learn how they work.

Good luck.

Hans

Thank you Chris and hjwalter, what you are saying works. I am able to do what you say I can do. Where can I find a list of the airline codes

(i.e, DAL, UAL)?

i have another question if you gys can help me. How can I display the buildings so I know that the gates I am placing are in the correct spot and they're not on top of a building? The bigger airports would be the ones I would work on.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, flyinmaninmn said:

i have another question if you gys can help me. How can I display the buildings so I know that the gates I am placing are in the correct spot and they're not on top of a building? The bigger airports would be the ones I would work on.

As I wrote above :- 

"... I'm sure all this is covered in the Help file"

"AFCAD is a perfectly serviceable program, but it does have it's limitations.

If you're doing a lot of airport editing, you might care to consider ADE (Airport Design Editor) Downloads - ScruffyDuck Software or, my favourite, SceneGenX FS2004 Scenery Generator X - Misc. - FlightSim.Com"

... and as hjwalter wrote :- " ... you should initially go through the instructions to at least be able to perform some of the basics and to learn how they work."

As for airline codes, I'm strictly VFR ... I don't use them!

Edited by chris_eve

Aircraft parking codes do not need to be the real world codes but can be anything of your own choice and need to be  specified in the AI (or flyable) aircraft's cfg file. The same codes then need to be specified in the amply sized "green circles" in your Afcad layout. E.g. a B-747 will not fit in a "green circle" parking position specified for a GA aircraft.

Furthermore, the normal procedure for correctly positioning any "green circle" parking position on any airport's/airfield's apron, is to firstly slew a selected (small test-)aircraft in "top down view" to the exact visible gate position.of your choice, after which.you slew it further to it's correct heading. Your test aircraft can then be made visible in the correctly opened Afcad layout and that's then the place where your "green circle" must be positioned with the same heading.

N.B. A flyable aircraft will only be directed to it's own reserved "green circle" parking position if the specified parking code in it's aircraft.cfg file corresponds with the one in the "green circle" but only when the flight itself was fully performed under ATC conditions, otherwise any randomly available "green circle" parking position with the correct size (or larger) will be alotted.

This all sounds very complicated but I say again: firstly back up your original Afcad file, read the Afcad program's instructions and then try to discover all the program's possibilities one by one and not in a frontal way with all of them at once.

A question: Which airport/airfield are you working on ?

Hans

Im working on, or at least trying to work on Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport. There are not alot of gates and I want to add more as there are many more than what they have put in there for default. How do I position the aircraft so I can see where I am placing them. Someone here mentioned you could look at it top down and see where you want to place aircraft. How would I do that?

Lee

Posted (edited)

Hows that airport design coming along? :uwe_melk_sblh:
Screenshots? :uwe_melk_sblh:

Edited by PebbleBeach
  • Like 1

This is done with AFX of Flight1.

]spacer.png

With its interface it allows to get a WYSIWYG mode and to handle very easy Afcad. Even to create them in middle of nowhere!

Bernard