Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

Tip - use of ornithopter

It appears that selecting the new Ornithopter changes the default joystick and keyboard control 'profiles'.

I selected the ornithopter just to 'have a look' and later found that when I changed back to the DHC2 some of my joystick buttons did not work and some keyboard commands (for control surfaces) did not work. 

Maybe it is normal for this to happen but if so why aren't there default keyboard/joystick profiles loaded when the DHC2 is selected?

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

I got so sick of it that I uninstalled the Dune stuff.  I recommend you have a separate keyboard layout saved, and any time you load up the Ornithopter, you immediately hit escape and load up the keyboard profile you want.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

36 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I got so sick of it that I uninstalled the Dune stuff.  I recommend you have a separate keyboard layout saved, and any time you load up the Ornithopter, you immediately hit escape and load up the keyboard profile you want.

I never installed it, hideous looking add on.. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

No one cares what you didn't install, Bob. 

Overall I don't see where the problem is. The saved profiles are still there, you just have to switch back to them. And the Ornithopter profiles will only be loaded automatically upon first installing the Dune extension.

5 minutes ago, Farlis said:

No one cares what you didn't install, Bob. 

You must have  🤪

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

Overall I don't see where the problem is. The saved profiles are still there, you just have to switch back to them. And the Ornithopter profiles will only be loaded automatically upon first installing the Dune extension.

Oh?  I didn't get that.  I had to reload the profiles any time I wanted to use the Ornithopter.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Farlis said:

Overall I don't see where the problem is

The problem is that when a user selects the ornithopter it (seems to - I cannot remember selecting the special profiles) automatically load in the specific controls (keyboard and joystick profiles) for it and when you later select another aircraft (in my case the DHC2) the controls are still set to the ornithopter which results in many controls either not working or not working in a way you expect.

I really take offence to that and have never seen controls automatically selected when selecting any other aircraft and if there are any other aircraft which loads different control profiles why then doesn't selecting the DHC2 result in its controls profiles being selected automatically)

Sure I HATE the ornithopter and feel that it makes MSFS2020 almost an arcade game.

Lastly I added this to the Hints and Tips (now moved) as it was meant to be a TIP for anyone who selects the ornithopter that they then check the controls profiles when not using it as it took me quite a while to work out why the keyboard and joystick controls for the DHC2 had gone 'haywire'. It wasn't meant to be an open slather on its merits or should I say demerits.

[added later]

In case I made a mistake I did the 'exercise' again. Started MSFS2020 checked that my normal aircraft (DHC2) was selected and the relevant control profiles.

Started a new flight and selected the ornithopter and then checked what control profiles were in pace and as mentioned before, the control profiles had changed to those for the ornithopter.

I then restarted a flight and selected the DHC2 aircraft and checked what controls profiles were loaded - yes still those for the ornithopter.

This is $#@! annoying.

Edited by Jarnie
add stuff

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor