Sign in to follow this  
Overload

New MSFS install - Xbox version, not PC as requested

I'm installing another copy of MSFS store version on a second PC. After the install, it was clear this was the Xbox version. Instructions on using an Xbox controller were shown, and the final set part was different from what I've seen before, I've installed MSFS twice before on PC's.

I assumed I messed up the install, I do remember being asked if I was it for Xbox or PC, maybe I messed up there. So I uninstalled, and tried again, being careful to select the PC version when asked, but I've still got the Xbox version!

Any ideas why I'm not getting the PC version?

Thanks

Eugene

You cannot install the Xbox version on a PC.. there’s no way to do that. 

Even if by some crazy bug you think l this happened to you, just check the graphics options. If you can see the various options (antialiasing, resolution blah blah), you have the PC version. The Xbox version (I have both) simply doesn’t show any options cause you cannot change anything. 

Do you have a game controller connected to this PC? If yes, it may be picking that up and showing you the controller as the primary control type. 

Thanks,that's reassuring, that it can't be the xbox version, although it did ask me which version I wanted during the installation. I don't have an xbox controller attached, just keyboard, mouse and an old madcatz joystick which it did detect during the latter part of the installation, but when I go to conrols to set it up,  I get a never ending spinning circle. Thought it was odd that it came up with a picture and description of how an xbox controller worked, even though there wasn't one connected, that's what made me think it was the xbox version. It certainly isn't like my previous installation, it came up with suggested settings  for graphics and other things I've not seen before, but maybe the installation process has evolved. I'll experiment with other controls, and hope I can get past the spinning circle. Thanks for the information  

Maybe it has just defaulted to the “New Install” version - if it wasn’t able to download your profile from the cloud, it thinks it’s a brand new first time user, and shows you this. 

The name "Xbox" is used not only for the Microsoft game console but for the entire gaming branch of Microsoft. It is like "Steam" from "Valve Corporation".

You need an Xbox account to log into MSFS so it can verify your purchases and sync your profile with the Xbox cloud. 

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Thanks - I agree, the platform Xbox, and the device Xbox can lead to confusion - but on both installs it asked me if I wanted to install the Xbox version or PC.

Ran it just now - it went through the whole install screens like it was the first time I ran it - so I was able to take screenshots of the process - screens I've never seen when installing it on other PC's.

For brevity I'll just supply links to the screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/8vriVXf      suggested graphics setting

https://imgur.com/a/N6txlv6     data settings

https://imgur.com/UauxVyc     control settings

https://imgur.com/j6A7gXq      xbox button diagram

https://imgur.com/7VPHE3c    control options never ending white circle

https://imgur.com/7kQZyvB   graphics options

https://imgur.com/euZrjnY9  quit flight simulator

You'll notice only a mouse and keyboard is attached - but when I go to the controls options - I get a never ending white circle. Also when I quit to desktop, nothing happens for 5  minutes or so, then MSFS restarts, and all the screens shown above start again. It's got my "owned" aircraft in the market place - so it knows it's me.

But it's impossible to attached any controls to it - which makes it useless - so will have to uninstall - might buy it with Steam - £60, but won't have the owned content of course.

Ps - last link didn't work - but it's just the quit screen.

25 minutes ago, Overload said:

but on both installs it asked me if I wanted to install the Xbox version or PC.

None of those screens you posted shows it asked to install the Xbox version: on Windows, the one and only version you can install is the PC version.

You are being confused by the diagram of the Xbox controller, but that doesn't mean you are installing the Xbox version of the sim: it simply means that, IN CASE you'll connect an Xbox controller (which works just fine on a PC), those will be the button mappings, that's it.

It went through all the initial setup screens, because for some reason you lost your settings.

Thanks - that makes sense - but I'm unable to run MSFS, it boots up fine - but won't let me add any controls - even with just a keyboard and mouse, when I enter the control setup, it's just a continuous white revolving circle, never gets past it. Every time I quit to desktop, after a long wait, MSFS just starts up again, and all those screens re-appear.

I've tried killing  it in task manager to get a safe mode start option, but that hasn't worked, boots up normally, and all those screens come back?

Don't think there's much more to be done, it just doesn't want to run!

I think I've solved the mystery. I'll note it here, in case Gogglers of the future have the same problem, and they find this via a search. I uninstalled it again, went to my Microsoft account, and clicked on the purchase as normal, which took me to the Xbox app as normal. The "You own this" install button was there, as normal, I've got the premium deluxe version, which has 4 parts to it, and I noticed that all but the 4th part had "Gamepass" on the picture of the boxes located under the install button. I rooted around a bit, can't remember exactly how, but I found another install button, slightly different from the previous, and no mention of Gamepass. So I installed again, none of those screens shown above were displayed, and now it's running normally. It even remembered the last airport I used on my other version of the Sim.

So I'm guessing I installed a Gamepass version of the Sim, I've never had a Gamepass, and would have thought it would be the same as the non gamepass version, but maybe not? It's the only thing I can think of that might have caused my issues.