Sign in to follow this  
thepitts

Lifting bodies in X-Plane 12 ?

Anybody know if there are any Lifting Bodies (M2- F1 to 3, HL-10) designed for or usable in X-plane 12 ?

I remember some in X-plane 10 but can't find any in 12. Interesting and fun to fly but probably not going to get your BGA Gold Medal in one.

Any assistance greatly received

Tim

There's a flyable HL-10 made for XP 10 updated for 11, but nothing so far for XP 12, there may ? be a M2 to F3 out there, not sure.

The F-14 Tomcat at high speeds and full sweep is a lifting body, though not purely as the research aircraft were, obvs.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

high speeds

I think by whatever definitions you're using, it would better meet the criteria at high sweep and low speeds.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

5 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I think by whatever definitions you're using, it would better meet the criteria at high sweep and low speeds.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding...?

The Air Data Computer on the jet automatically swept/un-swept the wings according to airspeed. 

When at low speeds the wings were fully extended/un-swept and providing max lift themselves.

When at high speeds, the wings were swept back and thus were only capable of delivering a small percentage of the lift. The rest was provided by the body moving rapidly through the air.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

the body

I suppose any delta wing config at high AoA could be considered a lifting body of sorts. The Tomcat's fuselage generated much more wing-style lift than any bluff body lift.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

12 hours ago, blingthinger said:

I suppose any delta wing config at high AoA could be considered a lifting body of sorts. The Tomcat's fuselage generated much more wing-style lift than any bluff body lift.

Yes, but...nobody talks about the Mirage 2000 or Concorde as a lifting body, though. Nor the very similar variable geometry F-111 (F-14's "daddy").

I'm not positing that F-14 is a true lifting body as OP was asking, but rather that it's stated to have generated significantly more lift from its uncommon body shape at high speed than it got from it's wings.

3 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

nobody talks about the Mirage 2000 or Concorde as a lifting body, though

They don't put the F-14 in the "lifting body" category either. Not even enough to put it in the not-"purely" category. It's closer to a flying wing.

I get your point and if % lift is your metric, don't forget the F-104!

• Like 1