Sign in to follow this  
MNORM

Falkland Islands/Malvines

Posted (edited)

I've recently been enjoying flying in the Falkland Islands (Malvines) with the Black Box BN2.  What a great plane and region to explore.

Does anyone know if there is a scenery package that upgrades the many airfields in the "camp" (or one in the works)?  I'm very grateful that these airfields are including in MSFS.  All they really need are windsocks, cones, white edge markers and such.

Thanks!

Edited by MNORM

I'm slowly working on it. 

No idea when yet. 

It'll be all of them and a few that are missing such as the odd dead helipad. Plus I need to refine my elephant seals. 

It's a very strange setup. You can call the council, tell them you'd like an airport, and they'll send you all the gubbins to set it up. 

I assume by the time you've established your 20th they'll have run out of enthusiasm. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, superspud said:

I'm slowly working on it. 

No idea when yet. 

It'll be all of them and a few that are missing such as the odd dead helipad. Plus I need to refine my elephant seals. 

It's a very strange setup. You can call the council, tell them you'd like an airport, and they'll send you all the gubbins to set it up. 

I assume by the time you've established your 20th they'll have run out of enthusiasm. 

This is fantastic news!  I love your sceneries...especially the Shetland and Orkney islands.  Appreciate the work you do!

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Those two need a major spruce up too. I went there last summer and crawled around every single island, though Foula was denied me due to airline laziness. 

Buildings might be the decider for the Falklands. I may leave replacing them for a future update as an awful lot need replacing. And I've yet to figure out gorse which seems to be very popular there. 

Edited by superspud

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, superspud said:

Thank you. Those two need a major spruce up too. I went there last summer and crawled around every single island, though Foula was denied me due to airline laziness. 

Buildings might be decider for the Falklands. I may leave replacing them for a future update as an awful lot need replacing. And I've yet to figure out gorse which seems to be very popular there. 

The major things missing, for me at least, in the Falklands are simple windsocks and physical edge markers for the runways.  You can see the locations for the various white edge markers and sometimes cones in the ground scenery when outside the aircraft. Taxiing without the 3D markers is an adventure. That and maybe a Land/Range Rover model here and there to meet the FIGAS plane...love the ones you used at Stanley.

I'm actually fairly impressed with the job Asobo did placing buildings around the various settlements.  The gorse is a whole other deal.  At least Asobo seemed to use smaller trees that turn yellow so it doesn't look too bad from the air.

Edited by MNORM

Posted (edited)

Yup. That's all going in there. 

Every airfield also has one of these trailers. I'm trying to find pics of every shack that they live in too as they're all unique. 

GKofFlQ.png

Edited by superspud
  • Like 3

If it can help, I have many photos of the Falkland Islands, which I visited IRL a few years ago.

Send me a PM.

15 hours ago, MNORM said:

This is fantastic news!  I love your sceneries...especially the Shetland and Orkney islands.  Appreciate the work you do!

15 hours ago, superspud said:

Buildings might be the decider for the Falklands. I may leave replacing them for a future update as an awful lot need replacing. And I've yet to figure out gorse which seems to be very popular there. 

Any chance your Orkney/Shetland/Falklands could come to marketplace for console users? They'd be really popular and everyone knows the score with marketplace (no free content)  and would be happy having to pay for them. You can make them a pack or bundle. Plenty of devs have released things for min cost on marketplace that are free on pc to share the love with console pilots. 

2 hours ago, g-liner said:

Any chance your Orkney/Shetland/Falklands could come to marketplace for console users? They'd be really popular and everyone knows the score with marketplace (no free content)  and would be happy having to pay for them. You can make them a pack or bundle. Plenty of devs have released things for min cost on marketplace that are free on pc to share the love with console pilots. 

Even if I went flat out to get on the marketplace, they might totally ignore the application or take decades to process it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who they let on there or when. 

And I think to sell commercially you have to account for the creation or ownership of every single texture. Gawd knows where many of mine have come from. Half of them might be nicked from Marlboro adverts for all I can remember. 

I get that marketplace freeware would be a nightmare for them, but equally a proper application to it shouldn't be a lottery or black hole. 

And I cannot lie, ultimately there's more satisfaction in saying 'get stuffed, it's free' than making trillions of dollars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlakNine said:

Also very much looking forward to your Falklands airstrips Superspud!

Are your Falklands landmarks progressing? 

Or maybe you want to keep it under wraps and I've blown your cover 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, superspud said:

Are your Falklands landmarks progressing? 

Or maybe you want to keep it under wraps and I've blown your cover 

Been on the back burner to be honest! I’ve got a nearly done model of Bodie Creek suspension bridge but need to make it fit the terrain, or vice versa. Also started a model of the Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley and was wondering about doing something for the Argentine and British war cemeteries but I’m unsure on the sensitivities of doing that. 
Mare Harbour is also something I thought about doing… eventually.

Before I return to any of that I’ll work on an update of my EGYP scenery - got a few custom models to add, and some other bits I want to refine around apron textures and painted lines.

Edited by FlakNine