Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Airshow Assistant (has anyone tried this?)

Posted (edited)

I just got this mod from TouchingCloud today in which I was only interested in the Wingman feature.  Saw a few videos online (AveAngel P-47 review) and decided to get it from the store.  It doesn't work on my end.  The menu comes up but does absolutely nothing in the sim.😕  Anyone else tried this and got it working?

Aeroplane Heaven P-47D Razorback - First Look Review! - MSFS. (youtube.com)

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

33 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I just got this mod from TouchingCloud today in which I was only interested in the Wingman feature.  Saw a few videos online (AveAngel P-47 review) and decided to get it from the store.  It doesn't work on my end.  The menu comes up but does absolutely nothing in the sim.😕  Anyone else tried this and got it working?

Aeroplane Heaven P-47D Razorback - First Look Review! - MSFS. (youtube.com)

I have it and I really like it.  It works with most aircraft, but you need a tutorial really to get it going.  He needs to look at making the UI better, but he seems to update it every few days, so good support.

On the wingman page there is some really small text top right.  Click on that then you have to wait 10-20 seconds for them to form up.

It worked great with the new F-86 yesterday.  I had it up to a 4-ship formation - all different formations from diamond to finger 4 etc.  They line up behind you when you lower gear for landing as well. :biggrin:

It is pretty cool already, but there is more to come from this app.  Good for the £4 it cost me.

• Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

18 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

On the wingman page there is some really small text top right.  Click on that then you have to wait 10-20 seconds for them to form up.

😶

• Like 1

FS2020 

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Are you talking about the 'Developer Mode' option?

FS2020 

Ok, I tried it today...what a blast! I fired up the free Milviz F-86 Sabre and flew around Yosemite at high speed. It's  cool to see the other planes react to your every move and you can set how fast they react and where they are in relation to your plane. The interface is a little confusing and it's hard to know what each parameter's effect is, but it was fun to play around. I flew inside and outside the cockpit and enjoyed them both, Tried numerous barrel rolls and the planes did it but they got a little confused. I also landed and the planes convert from a diamond formation to an inline one. Same as when you take off. They even led me to the terminal.

Fun and different from the realism and procedures of something like the Comanche.

Make sure you're in the interior view of your aircraft when you first open the Airshow Assistant UI, otherwise it doesn't always initialise properly. Then you can switch to exterior view if you like. All you need to do is click the "cover me" button and one wingman should appear. You can then add up to 4 with the slider. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dave Garwood.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dave CBFS said:

All you need to do is click the "cover me" button and one wingman should appear. You can then add up to 4 with the slider. 

I'll try this when I get home.  Last I checked it's still not working on my end.😌 

I hope I don't have a mod conflict somewhere.😐 

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I'll try this when I get home.  Last I checked it's still not working on my end.😌 

I hope I don't have a mod conflict somewhere.😐 

Yes Dillon, it was the developer mode text I clicked on to finally get it working, in desperation, as the planes wouldn't show to start with.

Strangely enough it is working without that now though.  I don't know if it was a restart of MSFS that made it work.  I also did a reboot of windows in between as well as it has been some time.

All good now though and it is great fun.  I was flying around in a group of four Sabres for hours.  I hope you can get it working.  I can't think of or don't know of any other mod that might clash with it. 

Note that this app is under almost daily development updates, so if there are any bugs, I am sure the developer can iron them out. 
I also note that not all planes different liveries are selectable for wingmen.  This is a current limitation, and I couldn't select different wingman liveries for the Sabre.   He is looking into it I believe, as it does work for some planes.

• Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, Dave CBFS said:

Make sure you're in the interior view of your aircraft when you first open the Airshow Assistant UI, otherwise it doesn't always initialise properly. Then you can switch to exterior view if you like. All you need to do is click the "cover me" button and one wingman should appear. You can then add up to 4 with the slider. 

Your Hunters are working great Dave.  I took the FGA9 up for a spin.  It let me select the TWU livery for one wingman. 
Strangely the other FGA9 liveries didn't show up in the list, but some others such as F6 model liveries did, and it let me bring them in!  Weird - but it looked great!  :biggrin:

So the app is a bit buggy, but he seems to be working on it quite intensely.  Great fun anyway.

• Upvote 1

Hoping I can get this working.😞 Sounds like what I was looking for for along time in FS using military aircraft both old and new.

• Like 1

FS2020 

18 hours ago, Dave CBFS said:

Make sure you're in the interior view of your aircraft when you first open the Airshow Assistant UI, otherwise it doesn't always initialize properly. Then you can switch to exterior view if you like. All you need to do is click the "cover me" button and one wingman should appear. You can then add up to 4 with the slider. 

This worked! Thanks.👍🍺😊

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

This is one heck of a sleeper hit.🍺 

For anyone into military aviation old or new this is a hit.  I have the Miltech's Super Carrier Pro on top of all the fighter add-ons we have available in the sim (DCS, F/A-18 Weapons Mod, Inibuilds F35, etc). Taking off of a carrier flying down to the Suez Canal or off the coast of Kuwait with a flight group in VR is amazing to say the least.  Looking over your wing to see your squadron mates is a perspective I haven't seen before like this in a sim. This give me an appreciation as a Vet myself I didn't fully grasp before.  We would launch planes out (Lincoln CVN-72) but sitting in the aircraft and one minute your safe on the boat to flying over hostile territory to trying to land back on that spot in the ocean (night time is a whole different animal with only your squadron's formation lights on their aircraft to give you their distance perspective from you aircraft) is an experience.  I even did a patrol I remember my squadron doing in real time and it's not easy coming back to the boat after some time flying around on patrol (little to no real world dog fighting these days in the real world just reconnaissance).  Blue Angel/Thunderbird shows is a blast too when controlling the formations.

I hope this maintains support well into FS2024 and beyond.  All too often mods like this go by the wayside leaving us saying, 'Remember that cool add-on we can't get anymore?'.  We can't shoot missiles in the sim (well maybe one WWII aircraft can - F6F Hellcat) but this is the next best thing.👍

• Like 1

FS2020 

I found this the other week and it's very cool! One limitation is it doesn't support helicopters - I had wanted some Chinook wingmen for some screenshots but no luck. However it worked great with regular aircraft!