Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

Laggy Rotaries/Dials on SD+ Best Fix ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

Just to add, I sometimes have a small delay with the dial background images loading in on the Stream Deck, but the display of the variable values is perfect, no discernable lag whatsoever. 

Hi there.

Yeah... what is actually happening is the number on the strip above the dial sometimes lags.

The numbers change immediately in the sim... say Heading in the MCP... but the new number on the SD + screen will update a second or 2 later. And the faster I spin the dial the more it happens.

Net result is that it's better to watch the numbers change in the sim rather than on the SD.

But as I said, it varies and often depends on what else is going on in my enormous collection of USB devices 🤣

My new cable being plugged directly into its own port has improved it noticeably, but not massively.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Gabe777

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

So if I increased the refresh rate is that likely to send data TO my SD display faster  ...  and thus minimise the lag in updating  ?

No. The parameter determines how much time is passing between each update. The higher the value, the slower the StreamDeck. This does not change the amount of data that has to be transmitted in the slightest. So if there is too much data in play, you will have the same problem, just at larger intervals. My advice would be to forget about the parameter. It is only there because I don't like hard coded parameters. There is no intended use case for this number. Maybe some day someone may want to change the number and has a positive effect from it. Maybe that someone is you. But I doubt it.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Hope that makes sense.

Doesn't matter, there is no clear-cut solution, in fact, I cannot even point you at a singular cause. But I already wrote all this before. It could be that too many performance intensive StreamDeck Actions are in play (which means that they require a lot of processing power and are prone to lag when the power is not there), it could be that what you do in the sim or what you read from the sim is laggy, it could be that SimConnect or AAO is overwhelmed, it could be that there are other SimConnect errors that force AAO to slow down and reconnect - or two dozen other things.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Doesn't responsiveness and Performance equal the same thing ?

Not at all, or rather, not to me. When I write about an app being "performance intensive" I am talking about the load that running this software is causing on your computer. I am talking about high numbers in the task manager for % CPU, %GPU, %disk access, % memory consumption, which are all bad news. It is very easy to make a "Rotary Encoder Canvas" Action for the AAO StreamDeck plugin that will freeze the entire thing - just make it very complex with a lot of moving parts and use a lot of images with way too many pixels.

An app can be very responsive and at the same time very performance intensive. Meaning that it requires a lot of processing power (probably to be responsive in the first place). If that is the case, then this software is very sensitive to performance shortages - when your CPU does other things (like running MSFS and a ton of related addons and apps), then my "performance intensive" app will suffer = it will slow down and become unresponsive.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Yeah so what's happening is that the dials are registering very quickly in the sim.

It's the info coming back and the new values being dispkayed in the Window on tge SD+ that's taking time.

It's to be expected I guess, as it depends on your system and how many you have connected.