Sign in to follow this  

PC - 78003XD - 4090 - QUEST 3 + 2d on occasion.  / Ethernet connected with cat 7.  On steam/Steam VR.

Hello to everyone,

I am now at my wits end, and hope someone tech savvy can help. I raised a ticket with zendesk, and they have exhausted all avenues. So one now feels a little lost and out of sorts, with nowhere to turn.

Up until about 7 weeks ago, MSFS was a stunning joy to behold. Scenery was rich and vibrant, clear and crisp. Distant scenery and detail was great, and one could see for miles and miles in all directions.  This is with TLOD 255 AND LOD 200.

The following issues then began, and it was gradual, and progressive.

It began in London, taking off from Heathrow, i turned 180 degrees and headed for the shard and parliament buildings. When all was well, the whole city appeared in front of me, and it was rich with autogen, and generic buildings. All was well.   Slowly this began to change, and roughly every 1 in 5 flights, exhibited a lack of autogen houses. They all apeeared flat, just lying on the tiles ahead. They gently popped up at the last moment, when right on top of them.  It was just baron, with only the parliament and a few other larger buildings present.  I restarted the session, and it came back to normal.  Slowly....slowly it became as it is now, a baron wasteland. TLOD of buildings and trees became terrible (with the odd generic building present in the distance).

But around the airport of take off, it was looking kind of ok, with what mimicked a 155 TLOD. As i progress further out, things get baron, and nothing really appears, except a small ring of scenery. However, interesting to note, other Aircraft are appearing just fine, and from a very long distance away, which made me ponder whether this is an actual TLOD issue.  This all began around early March, and has gotten worse ever since.

These issues have now manifested worldwide, and appear everywhere.  Currently I am now also experiencing the reported map issues, where old data bing tiles are meeting new bing tiles. And mismatched resolution of tiles everywhere.  Also, i have had issues with runways having slight undulating humps in them.

Remedies that haven't worked are:

3 Reinstalls, using a paid version of Revo-unistall software. + Removal of the steam cloud. (strangely, eben after a full registry file removal, when back in sim settings after a fresh install, one of 2 old settings are still present (On PC side it is a vsync setting at 50%) This baffles me, as all files were scrubbed clean, including user config etc. Makes me wonder how MSFS is still re-installing this one setting?

Files integrity checks via steam,

Removal of all external mods, addons etc.

Resetting all settings (on/off).

Checking internet connectivity and speed (getting 254mbts) and no internet issues.

Signing in/out of xbox + resetting TIN services.

Data cache cleared + rolling cleared. + All nvidia drivers up to date + windows and motherboard updates complete + shader cache all cleared.

Network adapter reset.

Every usual culprit above has been checked, updated or cleared.

Now, it become unplayable, its just ugly and very stunted. 

The only changes i have noticed or physically altered are the following:

1. AMD recommended and sanctioned OC via Ryzen master. It was the default standard OC, which is classed as very mild and gentle.  I didnt see any performance gain with it installed, so i simply reverted back.

2. Market place purchase of an airport runway enhancement pack. Uninstalled this to make sure it wasnt the issue, and have it in game as "uninstalled".

3. Market place purchase of the Harrier jump jet, and same as above, i have left it uninstalled.

4. Auto fps app used, but removed to make sure this wasnt the culprit.

To sumerise:

Autgen houses and buildings are either non existent, or flat until i get on top of them.

Around takeoff point, things appear kind of ok, but things get baron once away from them.

Generic buildings appear ok, but much reduced in TLOD, in comparison to what i was getting when things were well.

A.I aircraft are fine, and are seen from many, many miles away.

A few humps on certain runways.

Can anyone help, or point me in a direction of remedy, or further diagnostics.  I am wheelchair bound, and MSFS is really my only salvation in times of stress and inactivity.

With great thanks and appreciation. I am at the end of the line so to speak, and nowhere else to turn. I so hope someone may be able to help.

Warmest regards,

Andrew.

Posted (edited)

Yikes Andrew! My condolences. You say you cleared your scenery caches... are they currently off? Did you apply one of those NIC settings that were popular while back to go half duplex or limit network bandwidth? Could your network be getting throttled by you service provider? 

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Yikes Andrew! My condolences. You say you cleared your scenery caches... are they currently off? Did you apply one of those NIC settings that were popular while back to go half duplex or limit network bandwidth? Could your network be getting throttled by you service provider? 

Thank you so much for reaching out to me Odourboy!

All scenery cache taken out via the un-install, In-sim rolling cache off, plus manual cleared, plus disk cleanup tool took out the shader (DX), plus the Nvidia caches all removed, and shader set back to Unlimited in nvidia CP.

Was running Virtual desktop previously via dedicated router, and so my duplex was set to full duplex.  I had this issue first begin with BT fibre, and in the last 2 weeks I have changed to an independent 5g hub (connected via Ethernet). All tests show its around 255 Mbts and running fine. Also tried "NORDVPN" to see if that helps, and although a bit quicker on downloads, it makes no difference to this issue.

Thank you once again.  I'm willing to try anything at this point 😉 

Hi Andy,

I am so sorry that you are having these problems! I really feel for you as I have experienced somewhat similar problems in the past with absolutely horrific FPS while in VR using a Reverb G2. I tried most of the solutions you did and never got any improvement. Finally after several folks suggested I wipe my drive and start from scratch, I did just that. I actually decided it was time for me to move to Windows 11 as well. Anyways, long and short, it looks like you've tried all the logical solutions without luck so I'm thinking that the best thing to do is Reinstall Windows, MSFS and all of your other critical apps. I would hold off installing everything until you have a chance to see if MSFS is working as expected and then do frequent backups as you add more of your old stuff.

I know this is a total pain but it looks like you really need to do this. Perhaps, you could purchase a new SSD for this new install and thus you can preserve your old one to insure that you have all your old files readily available.

I wish I could come up with a better, easier solution but you really have tried everything and we know it was working previously for you! Good luck and let us know how things go!!

Best Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sep23 said:

Hi Andy,

I am so sorry that you are having these problems! I really feel for you as I have experienced somewhat similar problems in the past with absolutely horrific FPS while in VR using a Reverb G2. I tried most of the solutions you did and never got any improvement. Finally after several folks suggested I wipe my drive and start from scratch, I did just that. I actually decided it was time for me to move to Windows 11 as well. Anyways, long and short, it looks like you've tried all the logical solutions without luck so I'm thinking that the best thing to do is Reinstall Windows, MSFS and all of your other critical apps. I would hold off installing everything until you have a chance to see if MSFS is working as expected and then do frequent backups as you add more of your old stuff.

I know this is a total pain but it looks like you really need to do this. Perhaps, you could purchase a new SSD for this new install and thus you can preserve your old one to insure that you have all your old files readily available.

I wish I could come up with a better, easier solution but you really have tried everything and we know it was working previously for you! Good luck and let us know how things go!!

Best Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,  Thank you so so much for reaching out to me. Means a lot.

Yes, so it seems this may be the only other option, and as i said previously, I am now willing to try anything.  Its the only game one enjoys really, and XPlane isnt quite there for me yet.

I will obviously have to check and research online now how to accomplish this next step, but I am slightly nervous about doing it, as my computer skills are moderate at best.  I did see an option the other day to "restore windows to its original state".  Would that suffice? 

Is it a really complex procedure or ?  How did you find it?

Many thanks.

Andrew.

Sounds like you're not getting streaming data (fast enough) from the MS or Azure servers.  Possibilities:

Servers are slow, happens a lot but not 100% of the time.

Your ISP is throttling.  If VPN helps downloads, then this might be a factor.  VPN (encrypting, extra hops) should only ever slow things down ... unless there's throttling somewhere based on who you're talking to, or the encryption prevents someone from sniffing packets and giving different priority.  Try VPN with a different exit node (like Seattle, or LA, or San Fran, or somewhere closer vs. farther from you), and see if anything changes.

Internal network issues.  Try rebooting all your network hardware, from the modem on down.

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

On 4/28/2024 at 11:43 AM, BufordTX said:

Sounds like you're not getting streaming data (fast enough) from the MS or Azure servers.  Possibilities:

Servers are slow, happens a lot but not 100% of the time.

Your ISP is throttling.  If VPN helps downloads, then this might be a factor.  VPN (encrypting, extra hops) should only ever slow things down ... unless there's throttling somewhere based on who you're talking to, or the encryption prevents someone from sniffing packets and giving different priority.  Try VPN with a different exit node (like Seattle, or LA, or San Fran, or somewhere closer vs. farther from you), and see if anything changes.

Internal network issues.  Try rebooting all your network hardware, from the modem on down.

Hi Buford,

I have also been pointed in this direction by Zendesk.So ive given it lots of effort and inspection.

The content downloads in game, do "sometimes" download faster with the VPN on. But other times the direct connection is faster.  From what i can tell, this may just be quirks with MSFS servers. Testing yesterday, sometimes Paris was quicker, other times Newyork was quicker, but also vice versa, the direct connection was quicker. So its up in the air which is which.

Rebooted the network adaptor, turned off all firewalls etc.

When this issue started about 8 weeks ago, i was using a BT fibre connection.  I then switched to a 5g device with another company EE. I was getting 72mbps with BT, now I am getting 275mbps (average).  No difference with either.

The scenery tiles below my aircraft are stunning, and radius of detail around me shrinks to a small circle.

Even tried a clean install of windows, even that didn't resolve the issue.

Thank you so much for your guidance, its kept me busy, and that has helped a lot.  The search for a fix is becoming enjoyable now, its weird.