Sign in to follow this  
HisBoyElroy

Clones are empty and not linked to masters since SU15

Since the SU15 update, all my aircraft configuration clones are coming up empty and showing as *not* linked to the master.

Posted (edited)

Maybe Asobo has changed something about the way that SimConnect reports the aircraft data. That shouldn't be the case, but you just never know. If that is true, then AAO can no longer detect that aircraft liveries belong together (that capability was limited anyway, since many liveries are actually aircraft in their own right). Meaning that as of now the clone feature stops working entirely.

You have two options to work around this:

1. Use "Templates->Apply other config to this aircraft" to create a duplicate of your master config for the "clone". That is what I do most of the time. But it has the drawback that you have to replicate any changes multiple times (=for each livers)
  2. Load the "Master" and save this configuration as a template using "Templates->Save current setup as Template". Then load the "clone" and link this template to it "Templates->Link template". 

Unfortunately I can't check it myself at the moment, MSFS keeps asking me for the Disk of Doom. Needless to say that I never had a disk. Trying to fix the various XBox account links now.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HisBoyElroy said:

Since the SU15 update, all my aircraft configuration clones are coming up empty and showing as *not* linked to the master.

OK, I was finally able to log into MSFS.

The Master/Clone feature is working normally here. No changes in the MSFS mechanics that I can see.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Evidently I managed to somehow corrupt the configuration file. I restored a backup from the beginning of the month (outside of the Lorby backup set) and that appears to be working as expected. I think this is my hint to undertake the long-overdue consolidation / cleanup / refactoring of the database. 

21 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

The Master/Clone feature is working normally here. No changes in the MSFS mechanics that I can see.

I believe I have found the culprit. Parallel 42's "Stripr" utility includes features to "skip MSFS intros" and "suppress undesireable popups". Stripr modifies core sim files and so must be re-run after a sim update. 

After SU15, I re-ran the Stripr configuration utility and inadvertently enabled those features, which were not enabled before. When I ran the utility again just now to disable those features, AAO clones correctly link to their master. 

So it appears that among the things that Stripr is bypassing, is something AAO needs to function correctly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HisBoyElroy said:

So it appears that among the things that Stripr is bypassing, is something AAO needs to function correctly.

The AAO clone mechanism is very simple and it requires certain basic SimConnect features to work as specified in the SDK. If your sim doesn't provide that, AAO will fail.

Whatever your tool does to the sim must be damaging the aircraft config file in some way, and/or impairing the simulator's ability to report the location of those files correctly. 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I have the same issue since SU15. No "Stripr" installed. What can I do?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

I have the same issue

How exactly does that issue manifest itself? Can you be more specific, give a concrete example with what aircraft it is happening (and if it was different before)? Did you move the simulator content on your disk by any chance?

Check my post above with two possible work arounds.

Edit: btw, make sure that "Application->Force connection to running sim" is turned OFF. I know that there are YT videos out there recommending this setting be on. But - this is actually a last resort option that should only be used if absolutely required (=when AAO cannot connect on its own).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

How exactly does that issue manifest itself? Can you be more specific, give a concrete example with what aircraft it is happening (and if it was different before)? Did you move the simulator content on your disk by any chance?

Check my post above with two possible work arounds.

Edit: btw, make sure that "Application->Force connection to running sim" is turned OFF. I know that there are YT videos out there recommending this setting be on. But - this is actually a last resort option that should only be used if absolutely required (=when AAO cannot connect on its own).

Force connection is off, just checked it.

So the issue is the same as with the guy above, except for that I do not have a solution (no Stripr app). Whenever I choose a new/unused livery after SU15 it's empty in AAO, master is not being used. The two work arounds do work, but it's tedious to have to do the same for every new livery. After all it's a bug and that has to be fixed (on my side or on the AAO's side). What could have changed in SU15 that provoked this?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Whenever I choose a new/unused livery

Be mindful that some liveries are actually aircraft in their own right. AAO cannot detect those as clones, it never did. That's why I was asking about the aircraft (=if it is a specific one or if it happens with all aircraft)

As written above (and then crossed out) if Asobo decided to change the behavior of the sim regarding the method that reports the aircraft data, then there is no fix. But at the moment it doesn't seem to be the case, as it works for the OP and for me too (but I am using version 4.20 which will be released soon)

11 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

So the issue is the same as with the guy abov

I thought that his issue was about clones that worked before but then stopped? 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

2 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Be mindful that some liveries are actually aircraft in their own right. AAO cannot detect those as clones, it never did. That's why I was asking about the aircraft (=if it is a specific one or if it happens with all aircraft)

As written above (and then crossed out) if Asobo decided to change the behavior of the sim regarding the method that reports the aircraft data, then there is no fix. But at the moment it doesn't seem to be the case.

I thought that his issue was about clones that worked before but then stopped? 

Ah no not clones, I mean when you have a master config that is automatically being used for other liveries of the same aircraft. Master and slave? I don't know how it's called.

It does happen with the A300 (only one I've flown since SU15, haven#t been on the beta), both the PW and GE models.

3 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Ah no not clones, I mean when you have a master config that is automatically being used for other liveries of the same aircraft. Master and slave? I don't know how it's called.

It does happen with the A300 (only one I've flown since SU15, haven#t been on the beta), both the PW and GE models.

That's the same thing, one is the master, the others are clones.

Please check with a different aircraft too.

As a general rule, if a livery package has its own aircraft.cfg file (and MSFS reports it as a different aircraft addon than the master), then AAO will be unable to detect it as a clone. That is nothing new, it has always been like that.

LORBY-SI

26 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

s a general rule, if a livery package has its own aircraft.cfg file (and MSFS reports it as a different aircraft addon than the master), then AAO will be unable to detect it as a clone. That is nothing new, it has always been like that.

Just checked with the Fenix and some random livery and it correctly says "master loaded from...", as before.
So it's something specifically wrong with the A300, so not something you could / should fix. I'm not even sure anymore it's caused by SU15; I had been flying only the same one livery all the time for the A300 since their PW engines came out a month or two ago, so probably I just didn't notice that it (likely) was the PW update that changed something that leads to clones not working anymore. But as said, that's not your cup of tea, but thank you nevertheless 🙂

10 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Just checked with the Fenix and some random livery and it correctly says "master loaded from...", as before.
So it's something specifically wrong with the A300, so not something you could / should fix. I'm not even sure anymore it's caused by SU15; I had been flying only the same one livery all the time for the A300 since their PW engines came out a month or two ago, so probably I just didn't notice that it (likely) was the PW update that changed something that leads to clones not working anymore. But as said, that's not your cup of tea, but thank you nevertheless 🙂

The clone feature is working for me as prescribed by the Doctor!

https://imgur.com/a/kzn86P8