Sign in to follow this  
Guest fyrestrtr

Essential buttons?

Guest airbus2

Hey there, hope everyone had a great christmas!I got a new Joystick and found that it had 12 programmable bnttons, my old one only had 8. So i ask the members of Avsim forums for an insight into the world of their joysticks, what buttons couldnt you live without on your joystick?I have no idea what else to put onto mine apart from trim, gear and cycle views. I fly commercial, mainly the PMDG 737ng so any ideas of what to do with the spare buttons would be greatly appreciated.Have a great day,Dave

What joystick is it and the types of buttons available (toggles, rockers or true buttons)?

Guest airbus2

Its a Logitech extreame pro, Theres a hat switch and 12 push buttons, ive programmed about 5 and just wondered if anybody had any ideas what to do with the rest, seems a shame to waste them!David

Guest John_Hirsch

You may wish to program keyboard inputs that the sim reqires. What comes to mind are ATC replies which will probably fill those 12 push buttons. Other suggestions might be a button for the parking brake release and lock, a button to activate the reverse prop function and another to activate the speed brakes or spoilers.With all those buttons, you may have a hard time remembering what each button does unless you fly very frequently.Enjoy and I hope these suggestions help.

Yeah what I have on mine is: BrakesSpoilersFlapsGearRudder Trim x2Aileron Trim x2Elevator Trim x2Thats 10 buttons I use. I am thinking about getting the new saitek joystick and throttle when that comes out or picking up the old one for cheap since I don't really see too much of a difference between the old and new. I need some more buttons badly, for all of what I want to do.

With the name of 'Airbus' I can understand you wanting a joystick but, stating you fly the wonderful PMDG737NG's you should have got a steering Yoke instead!What were you thinking about? ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest airbus2

Your right there, airbus are my favriot jets, mostly because ive flown on them so often, also i know airbus pilots and they would never forgive me for having the name 'Boeing'!The PMDG737NGs are the best add on aircraft ive ever flown though and the only add on ive purchased as ive not been simming seriously that long. I have yet to find a good airbus simulation that has the same professional feel as the PMDG birds, maybe i havnt been looking hard enough. Thanks fo replys, i guess my airbus cockpit and boeing airframe will have to continue till i get more time, money and space!Dave

I always have at least these programmed:-autopilot on/off-center view (don't remember what it is called, but returns VC view to the default position)-I use one of the extra hats (saitek x52) for autopilot altitude change and heading changeI just play and notice what I use the keyboard for most often.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>>The PMDG737NGs are the best add on aircraft ive ever flown>though and the only add on ive purchased as ive not been>simming seriously that long. I have yet to find a good airbus>simulation that has the same professional feel as the PMDG>birds, maybe i havnt been looking hard enough. At the moment there is only the PSS Airbusses worth speaking about but if you think the PMDG 737'NG's are good try their 747 and the Level-D 767-300 for size, when you can afford it?Talking about expense, the 'CH Yoke' is much, much better than any joystick for sensitivity and control, whereas a joystick is a must for combat sims.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Talking about expense, the 'CH Yoke' is much, much better than>any joystick for sensitivity and control, whereas a joystick>is a must for combat sims.I don't believe the CH yoke feels very real at all. I just wish there was force feedback in it. I would have it tighten the tension up when airspeed is built up, and then gets looser when you get closer to the stall so it feels like a real airplane.

I never liked the feel of the CH yoke either, especially with the elevator axis. It always felt very loose and free.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>I never liked the feel of the CH yoke either, especially with>the elevator axis. It always felt very loose and free. And a joystick is ok then?At the moment it's the best we can get and don't forget that in meduim and large aircraft the yoke controls the elevator by power assisted control.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest fyrestrtr

>Its a Logitech extreame pro, Theres a hat switch and 12 push>buttons, ive programmed about 5 and just wondered if anybody>had any ideas what to do with the rest, seems a shame to waste>them!>>DavidSpoiler Up/DwnAutopilot Connect/DisconnectFlaps Up/DwnGearLights :)Those would be the first I would put, as they are my most oft-used keys.