Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

Sigh...

...I think I've had it with FSX for the moment being. I've said that before and usually I came back happy after some time, but now I've REALLY had it.Last week I did a lot of testing and all in all I was quite happy with FSX SP2. I could get 20 - 25 fps with Extreme dense autogen in a lot of places, and that was great! I discovered (see my other topic) that DX9 ran better than DX10 under certain circumstances. Unluckily DX9 resulted in 'low fps above trees' again...Yesterday I spend a long afternoon testing GEX. After a lot of hours I had to decide it was not what I expected, and this morning I deleted GEX. I decided to do a 'perfect as possible' reinstall of FSX, to maybe get even more fps out of it (I had installed SP2 over an old SP1 installment). So... I deinstalled and reinstalled FSX from the bottom up, making sure UAC was disabled and I restarted after every install and after every start of FSX, just to make sure everything was completely fine and dandy.Happily I started FSX when all was done. To my disgust fps was lower than before... Where I used to get 20 - 25 I got 15...! And to my even bigger disgust I noticed that even with autogen completely off, I got those horrible blurries back again... the textures only load as I am almost above them!!! With autogen OFF!!! While I hardly had any blurries last week with autogen at extremely dense!What's this ****? Do I have to tweak and tweak and tweak something all over again...??? I am totally STUNNED. I don't know what to say... While trying to get everything perfect, everything is back to crap.So I have had it with FSX for a while. This is not funny anymore. A game should run well out of the box. I got lots of games that do that and I will go and play those games now. Bye, bye FSX.(Don't be surprised if I am back tomorrow, happy again... but this time though I doubt it...........)

I did. The only testing after that was with GEX (comparing FSX with and without GEX): I didn't tweak anymore. But a simple re-install of FSX has changed something somehow and in order to get back to 20-25 fps I apparently have to test and tweak AGAIN, and I really don't want to go through that all again...

Wanna know how to make a worldwide known fool of yourself? Read on.Half an hour ago I started FSX again (you are addicted or you're not), took of from KLAX... and flew around Los Angeles with an average of about 20, sometimes even going to my maximum 25... Only in very busy views fps dropped to 15 - 18... The only thing I did before taking off was correcting my mesh settings, which were maxed out, which shouldn't have been the case... But during the flight I maxed them out again and it didn't make a huge difference... so I don't know what it was, really... Anyway, I said that I doubted if I would be back again tomorrow, happy and all: well, I was right, because I am happy back again TODAY. Everything sudddenly looked good again. With autogen completely maxed out. I just don't get it...Man, do I feel like a spoiled whining little kid now... FSX never stops to amaze and surprise me... Next time I will wait a day before I start moaning about FSX again... ;)P.S. I do fly with DX9 because DX10 gives me frequent stutters. So no bloom and shadows here... And sometimes fps drops to 12-13 but magically comes back up agai, even under the same cirsumstances. But it does not stay low, so that's cool.

:--)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) OMG!!!.....and this is before Sylvester!This is something I should add to the "positive tweaks about SP2 blah blah" post: ONLY MINERAL WATER during holidays!!*:-* Nice post BTW, I know exactly wht you mean and I too, was sure you will come back soon :--)Happy New Year!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Happy you are flying again !For what it is worth, I sometimes find my framerates down from what I'm used to (mostly, after accessing the menus). The best solution is to save the flight with some name, "Temp" for example, and then reloading that saved flight. That appears to clear up whatever is clogging the system.

Bert

LOL *:-* It's always so funny when it happens to others, isn't it...? ;) And I was back REALLY soon, wasn't I? ;) This must have been one of the quickest returns to FSX ever. :(Happy New Year to you too!

Ha, 'Temp' is exactly the same name I always give my saved flights when things go bad. When I got frustrated this afternoon I DID restart the computer at least once! I usually make sure the computer has been restarted and nothing has run before I start up FSX (I rather take the time to restart it all, than too take a gamble and load FSX, start a flight and still having to restart the PC after all...)! But I guess sometimes Vista has other things to do in the background, stuff that I don't know anything about, which can have quite an impact on performance. Anyway, I too am happy to be flying again. ;)

Pays to restart b4 flying, i find if i run BF2 b4 fsx then fsx will sttutter like bugery and if the other way round bf2 crashes. Mind you we need to ignore the FPS and just enhjoy the smooth ride, FSX dosnt seem to have the same issues with low FPS as FS9 did. Once you ignore the fps FSX is a joy to fly in.