Sign in to follow this  
Guest wcs33

Captainsim C130 Performance

Guest davidvoogd

Just curious if any FSX C-130 owners could comment on performance. I'm mainly interested in framerates in the VC, gauge refresh rates, exterior framerates etc. Comparisons to default planes would be great, and if anyone has the Digital Aviation DO-27 and could do a comparison that would be quite helpful as unfortunately my system couldn't handle the texture load the DO-27 gave :(Oh and please list your system specs if you don't mind. My setup is a Core2Duo T7700 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 256mb (Apple iMac running Windows XP to be exact, best of both worlds :) ).Thanks!-------------------keyword c130perf(just so I can find this post back easily via search)

Guest davidvoogd

Oh and I am aware of the ... "intricities" of Captainsim.

Hi,The performance on my medium system is excellent. The VC graphics and FPS is the best of any FSX plane I own. I consider it the most fun to fly because of pilot visibility and you can plant it anywhere. :)I would recommend holding off until CS fixes some substantial problems if you own a creative sound card. The new Version 1.1 causes a hard crash (blue screen) which is scary. They are working on a solution and I have a beta sound gauge that removes the crash, but now the instrument buses don't work. I have gone back to the original release for now. Which has it's own set of problems. I am surprised that CS still offers version 1.1 for sale without a note of caution for Creative Sound Card users. As of yesterday, at least one user reported the "blue screen of death". It seems a bit irresponsible to sell a product without a caution that it can cause a hard system crash. It is the first one I have seen with XP in the last two years.Bob..

Guest bstolle

The FSX C-130 is superb. Smooth gauges, very high framerate.Also the visual model is perfect.IMHO you can't compare the DA Do-27 as the Do was never a 'real' FSX plane.No problems with the Herk on my PC. Framerate very similar to the default planes.System E6850 2GB Ram 8800GTS 640MB WinXPRegardsBernt Capt 767

Just to add my 2c - amazing, in short.I started up the Herc for the first time with the 2D pit, and was suitably impressed. Lots of nice detail, wear & tear etc.I swapped the view to VC and for a moment thought that I'd just gone to another 2D pit. When I began to pan around and realised this was the full 3D VC my jaw almost hit the ground.It's *that* good.It has problems at present, no doubt. Initialising is an issue - so you may have to reload the plane to get engine starting to work (not a big deal for me - ALT+A+A+ENT is acceptable grief).Sound is still an issue, too. Certainly there seems to be a big problem with Creative cards. But to be clear: if you lose the special sounds (e.g. switches) you lose the crashing problem too. I have a view about it - I would love to hear the custom sounds; I am happy to fly without 'em, for now. I get no BSoDs once I kill the sound .gau.I'll be disappointed if the sound issues don't get fixed. Progress so far tells me CS might sort it. I have had emails with new gauges to beta test the new improvements. I am impressed by the support so far, though it isn't as verbose as some. Yes I'd like daily updates on the fixes, but I can tolerate fewer.Would I still buy knowing the issues? Yup. I knew most of 'em before I parted with the cash. Owning and flying the C130 makes up for it.It's a lovely addon. Has real weight in turns. Great animations. Complex models. Start up seems realistic (given 1 reload). Holding down a starter whilst a given engine kicks into life just works, for me. Watch the gauges kick into life. The model is amazing. I can land it fast or slow - just nice. Great all-round vis. I recommend.Cons: sound issues; some FPS reduction; initialising problems require reload; one or 2 other issues mentioned on the forums.Pros: see above. Given the price, you might say it should be perfect. But as I've said, I'd still buy it knowing what I know.

Paul Skol

Hello ,I am Herk Costumer , too. I think the most part off Performanceis set to your Rig!And i am talking here about FSX.I am shure if u using any dual or quad core Intel systemyou quit lucky with it.I using a Intel Quad core system and the Performance is outstanding with the Herk C130.All ( gauges and frame rates ) are smoth as silk and from this pointIMO one off the best Add On`s for FSX.Another part at this time are the Querys with the Blue Screenand the function from some Gauges but i am shure they will get salutions after next SP`s.And the prop with the Blue Screen and Creative is from CS indicated here:http://www.captainsim.net/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202249258regardsMario G

Guest wcs33

Hi Guys,Can you share the C-130 cockpit and fly in VC together if you and your other pilot each have the CS C-130?If so, I think I'm going to bite for this...ThanksBillKBDLwww.flyelectra.com

>The FSX C-130 is superb. Smooth gauges, very high framerate.>Also the visual model is perfect.>No problems with the Herk on my PC. Framerate very similar to>the default planes.>>System E6850 2GB Ram 8800GTS 640MB WinXP>+ one here, similar system. Absolutely fantastic aircraft to fly!

Guest LtRob

>It's a lovely addon. Has real weight in turns. Great>animations. Complex models. Start up seems realistic (given>1 reload). Holding down a starter whilst a given engine kicks>into life just works, for me. Watch the gauges kick into>life. The model is amazing. I can land it fast or slow ->just nice. Great all-round vis. I recommend.Paul_York:How long does it take to start the engines? It should take at least 40-45 seconds before an engine gets to 60% speed, and then about 10 more when you upshift from low-speed ground idle (LSGI). The almost instaneous engine start in the FS9 version was what made me stop using the CS C-130. Also, do the generators still provide power to the busses at LSGI? Thanks,