Sign in to follow this  
Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!

Guest Nick_N

That makes sense .. I thought -I- was going to learn something new there for a minute which I am always open for!LOLNo problem Bruce.

Guest Nick_N

opppssss double postsee next one down

>Hello Nick, I've installed O&O 8.5 from your posted link, and followed your list to the "T". Thank you so very much for this information. It has me in trouble with the wifey now that I'm simming "all the time"... Anyhow, I decided to purchase the O&O program, and could not find the 8.5 for sale, so I sent them an email asking for it. I was told that 8.5 is NOT for sale, but I could purchase a single license for version 10, which is what I did. So now I tried using my "key" from v10 for the trial version 8.5 and it does not recognize it. Should I uninstall 8.5 before installing version 10? Thanks again for the guide.Moderators, please make Nicks guide a sticky for all to see.Best regards,Norm Owings

Guest Nick_N

Hmmmmmmm...They won't sell you a key for 8.5?Strange.. This must be something new because its the first I have heard of it.This is not good news. Something in the back of my mind tells me they will issue a downgrade license. Perhaps if you tell them v10 does not function the same way 8.5 does on your system and ask if since you purchased v10 if they would issue you a downgrade key instead. Tell them you have 8.5 and would rather use it or not use the product at all.. I would optimize the system fully using 8.5 and use it as long as you can before it expires, then uninstall 8.5 and install 10 using your key but do not run any SPACE defrags with v10 but do set it up exactly the same. In the mean time I am going to check out the 8.5 key issue anf find out whats going on and why.I wonder if they are getting a mad rush on the 8.5 license from this thread and decided to pull the plug.LOL

I have v8.0 from a previous purchase, and assume that it is OK in lieu of v8.5? I'm not too sure what the upgrade to v8.5 included.Thanks, Bruce.

Here is a copy of my correspondance with them:Dear Mr Owings,You can buy a license for O&O Defrag about the following link: http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/order/onlineshop/But you can't buy the the version 8.5 in our online shop. The current version is version 10. The software for version 10 you can find here:http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/download/Thank you. Best regards, / Mit freundlichen Gruessen-- Mandy TieslaukTeam AssistantO&O Software GmbH - Creating Solutions!http://www.oo-software.com/ Am Borsigturm 48, 13507 Berlin, GermanyTel. +49 (0)30 4303 43-03, Fax: -99Managing Directors: Dipl.-Kfm. Frank Alperstaedt, Dipl.-Inform. Olaf KehrerCommercial Register: Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 62124, VAT-ID DE185526142EDIT: I have sent them an email requesting the key for v8.5 as you suggested. Now just waiting...(fingers crossed)

Guest Nick_N

8.0 should be fine Bruce as I recall there was not any significant change from 8 to 8.5... same settings, same results. But 8 was the lowest version you can use.

Guest DALTech_Ops

Nick,I'm one of the sorry arse's still using Vista. It came on a rig I bought last month at Bestbuy. I asked the crew at Bestbuy if I was ok off-loading Vista and copying XP. Of course they said no you should not do that because you will never get all the drivers required for your hardware, along with other reasons I dont remember now.So my question to you is this:Should I or shouldn't I give Vista the boot? Quite frankly I prefer XP anyway and have experinced a host of issues with Vista. All not good.The only thing I would not want to lose is Windows Media Center which I do use exclusively in Vista to watch TV. My TV, a 42" LG Hi-Def LCD, is used both as my TV and as my PC monitor. I use Media Center to record HDTV on. I'm not even sure whether or not Media Center is inluded in XP or not. And by chance if it does, whether or not its to the functioning level of the Vista version.Hope you can help me when you get the chance. Normally I would post something like this in the hardware forum but fear you may not see it. Mitch

Mitch,You can try WinXP MCE(Media Center Edition). I used to use it with my ATI HDTV Wonder. You can still find WinXP MCE OEM on line, but they are getting scarce and a real PITA to install.Unfortunately that ATI card will not work with Vista, so I just dumped it and got a HD DVR from my cable company, to use with my Viewsonic 32" HDTV/Monitor that I use for Computer and for my TV/DVD watching in the den. A lot less hassles.Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Guest Nick_N

Hi MitchI am glad you mentioned the major use you have for media center. The Vista media center is better designed than XP and with many TV cards that allow for Clear QAM HDTV they can have dependencies on Vista for that. I believe Pinnacle just released version that does not have Vista dependencies for QAM and it comes in a simple USB version too as I recall but it also does not function in XPx64 and only in x32 right now. IT really comes down to your hardware and the use. I also use the computer to receive digital cable, typically for news more than anything else, and use a simple but nice TV software called ChrisTV. its very clear and works well with the ATI remote control I have. Its a matter of research however if QAM Digital HDTV is what you are after you will need to research carefully because many of the cards are following the dark side and requiring the user have Vista to receive QAM.As for switching to XP that is a decision you will need to make. If you find your hardware must stay with Vista to maintain the entertainment center, you could consider dual booting... Installing another hard drive and then install XP and have a choice at boot which OS you wish to run. I did that for about a year when XP x64 came out until all the hardware I use had come of age and the manufactures provide x64 driver support I had XP x32 and x64 on 2 different disks and booted to the OS of choice for the applications I wished to run.

They will, and they did issue me a downgrade license.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Guest sj8005

Nick NSince the thread has veered a bit towards WinXP MCE, I thought I would ask you a question about your optimization process and your warnings about Dell computers...I really want to optimize my system, following your detailed instructions posted on this forum. I see that you mentioned caution using your process on older Dell computers which came with XP SP1, but I'm wondering if that also applies to WinXP MCE?I have a "fairly" new Dell Core 2 Duo that came with WinXP MCE installed. System properties shows: MS WinXP MCE v2002 SP2. Would this fall into your "Dell from _ell" category or am I safe to proceed?Thanks in advance,Stacy

Stacy, I don't have XP(MCE) but do have XP Pro SP2 installed.Until Nick answers your direct question, I just wanted you to know that with XP Pro, the tune-up is the best next thing to sliced bread.I hope that you can indeed do it. The XP Tune-Up has really pushed back the need to go out and buy another whole computer system as really, my Dell XPS Gen 3 P3.4GHz, 3 meg of RAM, ATI256 meg X1950Pro vid, Sound blaster Extreme...does the trick at a median of 18 FPS for FSX-Plus and over 30 FPS constant when using FS9-PlusI hope you can climb on-board the 'Tuned' party boat. :)Cheers,Mitch

Guest Nick_N

Clear for takeoff,.,. runway 8.5