Sign in to follow this  
Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!

Phew!I have fortunately defragged my HD's individually as instructed. I've just checked the tuning section in O&O options and I do have sequential and layout.ini checked along with 'Use all available resources'In the main window, it allows you to select all drives but I never chose a defrag method to see what happened.I'm assuming that it would give me a warning due to sequential being selected?Message received and understood. Thanks.Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Guest Nick_N

No warning.. it just wont defrag them at the same timedont use the auto system in O&O do it manually as outlined

Guest Nick_N

LOL!Well, I do know a little bit about computers. *snicker*Sounds like you did it right MitchI hope you enjoy the results. thats all that mattersNow get your arse in the air and enjoy flying for a change

Wilco, Nick.After all the defragging, I'm trying GEX 1.05 update for first time.In my CJ1 between KBOI and KOLM at the moment. Looking very nice.Thanks again.Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Hi Nick,I purchased & instlled O&O vs. 10 quite a while ago. Do you think if I download & install vs. 8.5, I will still have a full registered copy?Again Nick, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help and insight. I really enjoy reading all of your posts, or at least all that I know of, and following your expert advice.Best,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Guest Nick_N

Hi HowardI have never attempted to install both, and, when I did try O&O v10 I did uninstall v8.5 to ensure no conflicts would occur since O&O does install a service into Windows.The links I posted are to trials which are good for 30 days. You could try your key but I do not think it would work based on my understanding of the encryption system they use.If you do decide to try it I would suggest uninstalling v10.I much prefer 8.5 over 10. Although they are very similar v8.5 does a better job of compacting slack space and allows the user to apply a SPACE defrag from time to time without completely destroying the benefit of prior NAME defrags

Thank again Nick. As always, much appreciated.Best,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Nick,I am thinking of rebuilding on XP. Currently I am in dual boot with two 320 gig drives. One has Vista, where FSX is currently located and the other is my XP drive. It would take a while, obviously, (many addons) but I am finished fiddling with the DX 10 preview, and want to be more about XP performance in the DX-9 mode.I'm pretty green to the tech stuff (lots of real world flying hours, but not enough computer hours). But is the right thing to do to install FSX on the second drive separate from the operating system? It may be up there in your excellent detailed thread, but I wonder what the best NVidia driver seems to be for XP. Just use the latest ... any problems?Do you have any other suggestions for my project? I have about 100 gigs of FSX plus addons on the Vista drive at this time. I was thinking about leaving it there while I rebuild so I can go back and fly during a month long project(I would assume). Then I was planning to strip it and defrag. Then when I am finished, I'll follow your XP manual above.For what its worth, I'm running a E6700 at about 3.6 gigs. and the 8800 GTX card. All an OEM machine.BY THE WAY ... I am so very pleased with GEX Nhanced. I know you have gotten an overabundance of well deserved kados... but allow me to add to the stack. The colors are SO MUCH better, for my liking anyway. Other advantages and improvements to many to mention... and already mentioned !! ;^) I have three landclass versions going... but I can't seem to get the Grand Canyon to look just right. But that is the ONLY time I have switched over to that WWW business... I hate leaving all of that on the hard drive just for the GC, but I so love flying there. That is my ONLY wish for GEX. You've done such a great job, my friend. Thank you so much.Take care!!Steve

Guest Nick_N

I install FSX to its own drive for several reasons and I find it is in fact the best way to go. The Windows OS partition expands and contracts as you use it and therefore fragments much easier. I will leave that up to you but I find it is easier to maintain and keep FSX clean by being on its own driveI also use a professional PCIe 4X RAID0 solution with that and format the RAID array to 64K clusters on a 256K STRIPE. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816116042http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816116051You must have both of those items and a motherboard that will support the card in the 2nd PCIe video slot, or a 4x slot free elsewhere. For that RAID0 setup to work right and it must be configured correctly as well. You can find the settings here:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...197380641/15#17Never use motherboard or cheap RAID cards for FSX. You are better off on a fast single drive if that is the case.as for drivers.. that one is tough call especially with Nvidia. All I can do is point you to what I am using and you can try it. Every system is different and drivers are about testing and not so much recommendations... although you can take some of that into consideration.. make sure to use use Nhancer regardless of the driver revison as I outlined, the settings in Nhancer and FSX are exactly the same for all drivershttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=35398&page=Last, the GCSorry.. but that one will require someone completely REMODEL the entire area and this time make it so more than 3 lousy textures are used to cover the entire park, AND, make sure the texture calls ALLOW the horizontal erosion lines show WITHOUT doing what the default mesh and area do and stretch textures 9 ways to Sunday, all different directions. There is no control to work with in covering the GC.That, and the fact that the same textures are called for parts of the Rockies too so I had to find the right blend that would work for both and not ruin one or the other. I was not willing to have all sorts of "mods'... one was enough since the GC is not made right anyway.I did the best I could. SceneryTech probably shows the area the best and they just posted an update to 1.05 last week so you may want to check it out.Remember that WWW will overwrite many GEXn upgrades -and- overwrite default FSX textures that are not backed up by GEXn.. make sure to save a copy of the entire SceneryWorldtexture folder somewhere so you always have a way to return to default.

Thank you again, Nick ....For your kind response. I have NO idea how you do all of that developing/tweaking AND customer service. Customer service is THE NAME of the game IMHO. I'd much rather use a product with good customer service that is "in process" rather than one that is "perfect" [is there is one] but when you have a problem, there is little or no support. You guys really have it down on that score!!Again, many thanks for your explanation in reference to the GC. I have my WWW scenery folder and my GEX folder separate. If I choose to fly the canyon, I just go in the files and change them. But that's the ONLY time I do. What a fun and enriching product is GEXN.Go take care of someone else!! ;^)Steve

I did, unwisely, many month ago went to Black Viper and did change some of the services. Is it possible to revert back to the default settings before following your guideAlso, I have a fear about going into the "registry" and messing with the page file. If your other steps were followed, would they be serious omissions? Or should I just be brave and forget my previous mistakes from younger years?Thanks,Howard

Howard

Guest Nick_N

HowardI can send you a REG file that will make all the reg edits in one click.. all you have to do is select YES to allow itThos are just the registry edits.. you must still do the rest as outlined anything not directly about changing the registry you must still do.You must do it all or it does not workO&O has strict dependencies on the registry edits.. That is how this all works.. its a chain and it must all be done and done right.I sent you an email... EDIT: About Black Viper... even the services he posts that -are- right, he does not post the RIGHT way to shut them down. You can not just click DISABLED on the dropdown, it still loads into memory, you must DISABLE at LOGON or shutting the service down nets little in the way of recovering memory at boot.The site is generic and needs a highly trained sys-admin to post things... BV isn't and thats obvious

Guest aarskringspier

Nick,Thanks a ton for this it made a huge difference in my ole PC running FS9!!! So glad I came across this thread. Thanks so very much for the time writing and explaining it.