Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butchm

Default descent rate for ATC in FSX

Hi There, When in a jet, what is the descent rate expected by ATC when they advise change of altitude instructions? Would that be 1800fps? ThanksButch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

ATC tend to vector you really late so its best to descend at the fastest rate your plane can handle.

ATC cannot handle a descent of more than about 30,000 to 35,000 ft to an airport. If you follow the instructions and speeds on the approach charts programmed into FS, you can descent at 2,000 - 2,500 FPM and make the runway just fine.Most FS pilots do not plan their flights well and fail to lower their cruise altitude down to 30,000 or 28,000 feet by the time they are 120 nm from their destination. They also fly at 400-500 kts TAS until they are 30 nm from the airport.AI traffic will have an impact on descent also. When the user or AI aircraft crosses a specific point, the ATC will issue the instruction to descend. However, if four, five or 20 other ATC instructions are qued up for AI aircraft, the user aircraft can fly 10-20-40 nm past the point to start the descent before the sound file is played to order the descent.Most airports for jets have holding patterns built into the approach so you can descend at a reasonable rate if you have failed to plan and are too high and too fast.But you have to select an approach from the ATC menu, preferrably with a transition and fly that approach per the default GPS.You won't see those holds in the novice mode of FS / ATC.Now there is a second issue - terrain.The FS world is made up of grids and each grid has a MSA - minimum safe altitude. The grids tend to be large so some airport near mountainous sea coasts and some others near high terrain - the AI and user aircraft are not allowed to descend below MSA until their are on an actual approach path.For those airports, like SVMI, SPIM it is very, very important to select an alternate approach and fly the holding patterns. For SPIM the ILS Rwy 15 with SIGAS transition will put you into a holding pattern over SIGAS about 15 miles north other runway to allow you to descend properly. Because if you are down about 5,000 feet 20 miles east of the airport you will hit mountains.

Gents, Thanks very much for the detailed response, appreciate it. Having had a bit more experience with the ATC of FSX I think I might just give it a miss. First and foremost, I hate the bug that doesnt let you respond to ATC then resolves itself when your flight plan has been canceled. I'll look for an addon ATC and see if that will suit me. Thanks again guys, appreciate the assistance. Cheers,Butch