Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Vulcan XH558 - where is that howl?

Hi everyone,I've died and gone to heaven! Since it's first appearance under the PSS banner this a/c has continued to be one of my all time favourites. In fact, not only has her real counterpart been fully restored and should be flying the display circuit in the UK later this year (can't wait to see her again), but Just Flight have just released an FSX update with far more besides!!! Believe me, she has lost none of her awesome qualities since those heady days of FS2K2 and FS2004, except, that is, for one rather special feature: that blood gurdling howl heard when the 4 Olympus RR201 engines are spooled up to 96% at take off.This was a problem for some with the previous versions and I recall it had something to do with FSUIPC. I'm not sure whether this is relevant this time around, but even with the latest registered version I just can't get that howl to materialize :( This is all it needs to elevate this beautiful creation into an a/c simulation par excellence.Any ideas?Mike

Guest jshyluk

If it's bloodcurdling howling you want, you could always come over to my place on Poker Night. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest JIMJAM

"This is all it needs to elevate this beautiful creation into an a/c simulation par excellence"A working autopilot would be nice.I had the original PSS version and it was one of the hardest planes Ive ever landed.Visability out of the cockpit was BAD.Only other howler Ive had was the F-104.Ive got 20% hearing loss because of the Tweety Bird t-37.Not a howl but more like a 6200 pound whistle.

Hi Bernard,Yes, I found this thread but sadly, it doesn't help me in this instance.Mike

Hi JIMJAM,Here's a link to a video attempt I cobbled together last year:http://download.xdrive.com/s/8991533108xSe...0S&partner=xdrvI've always found her great fun to fly. You just have to be careful to keep her from stalling as recovery can be very difficult if you have insufficient height.Situation: Ascension IslandSim: FS2004Enjoy!Regards,MikeEdit: Turn up the volume and listen for that howl during takeoff :)

Hi again,Bumping this thread as I'm finding it hard to believe that no one else has encountered this missing feature. There must be some other Avro Vulcan B2 enthusiasts amongst you who recognize the importance of the implementation of this sound in an accurate simulation of this great aircraft.I've searched the Just Flight Forums, but it's as if this product update for FSX had never been released!(?) Their tech support isn't much help either.Maybe I'm the only one who isn't hearing this sound, in which case it would be useful if anyone else who has purchased this product could confirm that this is indeed the case. I note quite a few have viewed this thread already so perhaps one of you might feel inclined to chip in and put me out of my misery...LOL!Thanks,Mike

Mike, as it is not the same as the FS9 version, why don't you just ask for your money back stating why?Like you, I am a purist and to leave out the famous 'howl' is not a true representation of the aircraft.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi,Just to round off this topic, I have now received a reply and explanation from Just Flight Support:"I have asked why this "howl" sound isn't present in the FSX version, and it seems that there have been some sound system changes in FSX which prevent it from working. PSS, the original developers of Vulcan, are unable to update the aircraft, so we have updated it as far as we can so as it works in FSX - based on the huge amount of demand from customers who wanted to see the Vulcan in the FSX skies.I feel that the sound in FSX is still quite close and will be seen bymany as being perfectly fine and very Vulcan-like. I do not believe that we have ever had the engine "howl" as a feature of the Vulcan and can not find any mention of it in our current product specifications on our website."Fair enough. It's still a great simulation of this fantastic aircraft and will certainly remain in my hanger along with its fully functioning FS9 counterpart.Cheers!Mike

Anyone who has seen the Vulcan start its take-off roll will know about this sound and it's what made the Vulcan XH558 an individual.For Just Flight to admit that the sound missing could not be included into the FSX version to my mind, is unreasonable.With a little effort and testing it could have been included.Just Flight have been in the business long enough to be able to augment this feature quite easily and it is no excuse to attempt to baffle their customers into thinking that its not possible when, FSX has more potential with sounds than FS9 could ever have.It's plain to me that they have just carried out the minimum of work in order to satisfy FSX simmers.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I agree, the sound in an obvious feature of the aircraft.XH558 as seen in reality, the recorded sound is distorted somewhat but the howl is unmissable:

The video you posted Mike is also a fine example of the distintive sound and great in comparison to the real thing.I've dug out an old shot of mine, but a favourite one nonetheless: :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188858.jpg

Bernard

Guest Lowex

Besides the lack of a Howl, how do you find this aircraft in FSX?No autopilot? Did the real thing have an autopilot?A mini (and honest/brave) review of this FSX Vulcan would be really useful...

There is a review of the original version . Also there are some user reviews available over at the Just Flight site [link:www.justflight.com/userComments.asp?pid=310]Here.The real aircraft did indeed have an autopilot as does the simulation but sadly in the latest Just Flight version the autopilot does not work with FSX SP2 / Acceleration installed.I only have the original so have no first hand experience of the FSX version but I can say that it is a great aircraft to fly, the visibility from the cockpit is limited but when you've got nuclear bombs exploding in the vicinity a lack of visibility is a good thing. :-eekUsing trackIR makes the whole experience much more immersive. Having the ability to simply 'look around' the window struts and side windows makes low altitude flying and of course landing a much less stressful experience.The sound is pretty good too! ;)

Bernard