Sign in to follow this  
Jwcfly

My small Vista rant...

Hi,Usually I am not terribly vocal in general forums out here on the Internet, but I would like to make a post about Vista.What is happening here at Flight1 (and I am sure it is occuring with other companies also), is that we are getting daily support request for the inability for users to get someting to work on Vista, even though the software is Vista compatible.We have created a fairly detailed Vista page at http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista. It attemts to guide users who have Vista in a direction where they can install most software.If I can spread the word a bit, and the message, that "Please be aware of the fact that when you get Vista a new understanding of how to use Windows is required, so please do your best to understand the new problems that Vista introduces."Flight1, and I am sure many other companies, are working where possible to get things working smoothly in Vista. But it does take some special attention on the users part also. That is why I wish every person who has Vista would read http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista or pages or instructions that are similar.Thanks for hearing me out! I would also be interested in any other hints or tips users have discovered that would be good for inclusion on the page.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

I am curious if any of the flight1 wrappers or other install code uses .net, or is this even desirable or an option? I guess what I am really wondering is if managed code might have less issues running on vista / .net 3.0 that result in user complaints?scott s..

No, we do not really use any .net stuff. I am a fan of unmanaged code.There may be places for .net in the future, but for e-commerce we will stick to VB or VC++ (unmanaged versions).The current wrapper version has been upgraded to be Vista compatible.But most problems now are NOT really with current wrapper versions. The main problem are applications that are getting blocked during setup. So that is why the page I posted attempts to give some information to users, as I am sure it will be valid for many... And not just for Flight1 products, but also for so may other applications they may come across.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Steve: One more reason why you guys are the best in the business.I have bookmarked your Vista info link.I do not have Vista yet, and until Black Viper comes online with his guide, I probably won't :-cool In the not so distant future, however, I (along with many others I'm sure) will be thankful for your Vista guide.My thanks to Flight1 for their continued high quality products, and the high road they take regarding their customers.