Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Abacus PBY-5A Catalina in FSX?????

Has anyone tried the Abacus PBY-5A demo in FSX? I installed it and when I go to the aircraft select window the five versions show up. I get the registration menu and click on "try the demo". When I click on any of the aircraft to select a particular version I get no detail view and FSX locks up with an error in fsx.exe. I called the (800) number and they were no help. They checked with someone in support who said to remove it and redownload and reinstall, which I did. It still fails. I'll be darned if I am going to call their support non toll free number to get it to work. All of the files are in the correct folders. I can view the panels OK with FSPanelStudio. The plane looks good. If I can't get it to work I'll at least save the panels. I did send an e-mail to their product support but have not heard anything. Best regards, Bob.

I had the same problems a couple of months ago. Like you, I tried re-installing a few times but the results were the same. I finally gave up. Interesting that today, Avsim published a review of this aircraft from Abacus. Whatever the problem, Abacus seems not too interested in trying to solve the problem. I would have bought the product had I beem able to preview it since the PBY has been a favorite of mine since I was much younger (don't ask).

I was going to "start" a thread on this plane. The review sounded good, and the pics looked quite good. It seems like a plane I would like in my stable. But....I want to hear from users confirming that this is a good buy.

It's too bad that they don't provide better support. Their installation of the demo is flawed somehow. It says something about backing up the dll.xml but I don't see any entries in that file and don't see any installation in the Modules folder like they say it does. There are three funny files in each of the texture folders that evidently are part of their registration process. I have the 2d panel installed in another non Abacus PBY and it works GREAT! Thanks Abacus!!!! Regards, Bob.

Hi Stan. Let us know if it works for you please if you try it. I'm not registering it until the demo works. The panels are good lokking. Regards, Bob.

I finally contacted Adam directly via e-mail at Abacus. THANKS ADAM! There was an error in the original exe file. Another user had contacted them too. The error was in the aircraft.cfg file. He sent me a new aircraft.cfg file which works. The exe file has been fixed so anyone that wants it can delete their old exe file and replace it with the new one which has the corrected aircraft.cfg in it. There are some things that I don't like in the panel but I can fix them for myself. The biggest thing missing in the package is a complete panel explanation and switch function (like the autopilot). If they add this I will buy it. The panel gauges are very crisp and of good quality. Best regards, Bob.

Guest jlwoodward

I downloaded this yesterday and had quite a bit of trouble installing it. However, I think the problems were due to the security annoyances in Vista and not the Abacus installer. After reading the glowing review, I'm afraid this plane didn't come up to my expectations. They got off to a good start with the virtual cockpit but they dropped the ball. There are no switches for starting the engine, no cowl flap levers, no pontoon lowering lever, and no mixture control. The pop up panels have these but in my opinion they are poorly done 2d representations. I spent an hour tweaking the cfg file. The eyepoint needs to be raised and moved back. Otherwise there is no view of the horizon and you feel like you are eating the panel. Unfortunately, adjusting the view for flight makes it look somewhat incorrect on the ground. There was no steering at all on water. I don't know if the real plane has a rudder, but I added some steering to the contact points and that fixed it.I will give it one more try tonight, but so far I don't think I will buy it.

>I downloaded this yesterday and had quite a bit of trouble>installing it. However, I think the problems were due to the>security annoyances in Vista and not the Abacus installer.>After reading the glowing review, I'm afraid this plane didn't>come up to my expectations. They got off to a good start with>the virtual cockpit but they dropped the ball. There are no>switches for starting the engine, no cowl flap levers, no>pontoon lowering lever, and no mixture control. The pop up>panels have these but in my opinion they are poorly done 2d>representations. I spent an hour tweaking the cfg file. The>eyepoint needs to be raised and moved back. Otherwise there is>no view of the horizon and you feel like you are eating the>panel. Unfortunately, adjusting the view for flight makes it>look somewhat incorrect on the ground. There was no steering>at all on water. I don't know if the real plane has a rudder,>but I added some steering to the contact points and that fixed>it.>>I will give it one more try tonight, but so far I don't think>I will buy it.Hi. I agree. It is very poor. The switches that are supplied don't work to raise or lower the floats. The one up/down float switch on another panel works. The switches to shutoff the engines and control the mixture don't work. When you click on the switches it reverts back to the main panel. The directional autopilot does not work either. I sent another e-mail to Adam but have not heard back from him. I have no idea at all what the Interphone, Secure and Recall switches do. The lack of a water rudder is bad too. I don't know if the real PBY had one. All in all it's not worth $19 in my estimation. I can't believe they would put out such a flawed product with no real operating documentation. Regards, Bob.

Guest crazyh

If it is of any interest I installed my FS9 Alpha Sim PBY into FSX. I had to make one line change in the panel for size. I also re-did the sound file. I run FSX wihout SP2. Have a nice Black Cat to fly.

Hi David. Thanks for the info. I am glad that Abacus let me try it before I wasted my money on it. One of the comments in your referenced sites said it reminded them of the type of planes that were available years ago. I feel the same way. The Aerosoft one looks a lot better. I'll wait for it. Best regards, Bob.

Guest Paulc1
>I downloaded this yesterday and had quite a bit of trouble >installing it. However, I think the problems were due to the >security annoyances in Vista and not the Abacus installer. >After reading the glowing review, I'm afraid this plane didn't >come up to my expectations. They got off to a good start with >the virtual cockpit but they dropped the ball. There are no >switches for starting the engine, no cowl flap levers, no >pontoon lowering lever, and no mixture control. The pop up >panels have these but in my opinion they are poorly done 2d >representations. I spent an hour tweaking the cfg file. The >eyepoint needs to be raised and moved back. Otherwise there is >no view of the horizon and you feel like you are eating the >panel. Unfortunately, adjusting the view for flight makes it >look somewhat incorrect on the ground. There was no steering >at all on water. I don't know if the real plane has a rudder, >but I added some steering to the contact points and that fixed >it. > >I will give it one more try tonight, but so far I don't think >I will buy it. Hi. I agree. It is very poor. The switches that are supplied don't work to raise or lower the floats. The one up/down float switch on another panel works. The switches to shutoff the engines and control the mixture don't work. When you click on the switches it reverts back to the main panel. The directional autopilot does not work either. I sent another e-mail to Adam but have not heard back from him. I have no idea at all what the Interphone, Secure and Recall switches do. The lack of a water rudder is bad too. I don't know if the real PBY had one. All in all it's not worth $19 in my estimation. I can't believe they would put out such a flawed product with no real operating documentation. Regards, Bob.
There is no water rudder on the real PBY or Catalina as called in the UK.