Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott967

Doing an ILS approach on a Boeing 737

I have a question regarding doing approach on this particular jet. I'm familiar with pressing the VOR LOC button followed by the APP button on the FCP. But one thing is that I sometimes hit or miss this 50% of the time. I have read numerous manuals on how to do this - all seem to be a little different in places. Here's where I think I go wrong...Once the ATC tells me to "EXPECT vectors for ILS runway...", I generally check the radio stack to see that the ILS frequency is set, set the course heading on the FCP. But that's it. I don't do anything else except for follow the heading instructions given by the ATC. It's not until I hear the ATC say "cleared ILS, maintain xyz until established on the localizer.." that I start to get a little confused on what to do next. Some books say hit the VOR LOC on the FMC while others say hit the APP. I frankly don't know which to do first other than the APP being the last in that sequence.Any insight, suggestions?- Kareem

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

my "guess" would be turn off app. that would turn of your autopilot and give you full control for the manual approach.

Kareem,In the sim, ATC will usually give you a heading to steer and an altitude to descend to shortly after they tell you "Expect vectors". So, you're going to switch to HDG and ALT modes with the AP. You're right that the "expect" call is when you verify the ILS frequency and localizer course are set properly.Follow the headings and altitudes assigned by ATC, as long as they're safe; I've been vectored into terrain by ATC in the sim. Now, when you hear "cleared ILS, maintain xxx thousand until established on the localizer" it was probably preceded by "turn left/right to xxx (heading)". You'll turn immediately to that heading, and set the AP to descend to the altitude ATC told you to maintain. As soon as you roll out on the assigned heading, press the NAV button on the FCP. This will allow you to fly the assigned heading until you capture the localizer. Watch the CDI (the needle on the HSI that shows you're lined up on the localizer) and the glide slope indicator. At this point, the glide slope indicator should be at or near the top of the scale, indicating that you're below the glide slope. As you capture the localizer, you should still be below the glide slope. Once you've captured the localizer and are lined up on the approach heading, with the CDI centered, but below the glide slope, select APP on the FCP.That should help a little bit.

Hey Kurt,when you refer to the "NAV button", is this the same as the VOR LOC button because I don't recall seeing any button called NAV on the FCP...- KareemAnd someday, I'll do this manually, just taking it a step at a time (like I have a choice. tah hah).

Kareem,You are doing all correctly. When told: "cleared ILS, maintain xyz until established on the localizer.." - Hit the VOR/LOC, because you don't want to decend on the glide before hitting the locelizer. then when established on the Loc arm APP mode and select the second AP. Also on intercept heading you should have flaps 5/10 and 1

Search this in the file library. It will help you alot with instrument approaches.approach_guide_tutorial.zip

Kareem,Apologies, it's been a long time since I flew a 73 in MSFS. VOR LOC is the one.

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I did it. And was able to do it again. Next, I'll add some other variables and maybe even try the Airbus 320...Thanks everyone.- Kareem

I think the altitude ATC gives you is the altitude at the final approach fix -- assuming the approach code has been properly written. The vectors should allow you to intercept the final approach course a couple miles outside of the FAF. If everything goes right you should be in a level flight i.e. Alt Hold, as the localizer CDI needle comes alive. Then you can capture the localizer outside the FAF and then capture the Glideslope. Generally it wouldn't be a good idea to capture the glideslope first, since obstruction clearance isn't designed to cover too far away from the localizer path.scott s..