Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Anyone help testing a new automatic save utility?

Guest papatango

I have been frustrated at times by flying a long flight only to have FSX crash towards the end. And since I didn't save my flight I have to start over. I also have experienced my log getting corrupted.I searched and could not find any free offering for FSX to automatically save your flight. So I jumped into the SDK, used the SimConnect API, downloaded Visual Studio 2008 Express for free, followed very helpful examples, and now my program is done. All in one day. The program (exe) is very straight-forward. It does two things:1) Saves your flight every x minutes (x being between 1 and 60). Using the SimConnect API, FS automatically saves all flight parameters including the weather. You can then load any of these saved flights just like you had saved them yourself.2) Makes a backup of your log file every time you run it.I would like at least a few other folks to run it before I post the program and code in the avsim library to make sure that I did not miss anything. I am running Vista 64. If you are interested in testing it, you can post a reply or send me an email. I can send you the program, code and installation instructions. I am hoping installation is as easy as copying 2 files.I have attached a jpg showing the UI.Thanks,Scott

Hi Scott,Without wishing to rain on your parade Pete Dowson (author of FSUIPC) has had a freeware module available for some time which does this. If you're interested you can find it here www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlUpdate: Having read Pete's note about AutoSave it is only available for FS9. For FSX it's integrated into the payware version of FSUIPC4.So it would seem that for those who don't have the payware version your program will be a welcome utility! Well done for finding a gap in the freeware market. :)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>I have been frustrated at times by flying a long flight only>to have FSX crash towards the end. And since I didn't save my>flight I have to start over. I also have experienced my log>getting corrupted.>>I searched and could not find any free offering for FSX to>automatically save your flight. So I jumped into the SDK,>used the SimConnect API, downloaded Visual Studio 2008 Express>for free, followed very helpful examples, and now my program>is done. All in one day. The program (exe) is very>straight-forward. >>It does two things:>1) Saves your flight every x minutes (x being between 1 and>60). Using the SimConnect API, FS automatically saves all>flight parameters including the weather. You can then load>any of these saved flights just like you had saved them>yourself.>2) Makes a backup of your log file every time you run it.>>I would like at least a few other folks to run it before I>post the program and code in the avsim library to make sure>that I did not miss anything. I am running Vista 64. If you>are interested in testing it, you can post a reply or send me>an email. I can send you the program, code and installation>instructions. I am hoping installation is as easy as copying>2 files.>>I have attached a jpg showing the UI.>>Thanks,>Scott>Would be nice to be able to save the situation by hitting a user assigned key press sequence as another option.

Guest papatango

Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes I first looked into Pete Dowson's excellent FSUIPC utility but did not want to pay full price just for the automatic save feature. I did buy his program for FS9.That is a great idea to map a key to automatically save the flight. I will look into adding that functionality.Jim, thanks for offering to test. Do you have an email address that I can send you the program. My address is scott_papa@comcast.net if you want to send me an email.Scott

Guest NoobPilot

Yes please! I would love to test this! My email is hypa_52@hotmail.com. Yes, it is a bit young, but I was 8 when I made it.

Guest papatango

Thanks Jim and Jordan for responding. I have sent you both an email with the program and instructions. We can continue the discussion via our private emails. If anyone else would like a copy to test, or has any ideas to add to the program, let me know. I will post to the avsim library soon.Scott

Guest Teddie

Scott,I would also like to test your program.teddabod@funrealtournament.comThanks for your hard work.Cheers,Teddie